Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
After Wicca 101?? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

AingealOreiad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:50 am
TeaDidikai
emmfullness
I wasn't searching for a patron. I was searching for a pantheon that I can work closely with. Problem is, I can't work with dieties that I'm not very intimate with. Perhaps I ought to give more time to develop relationships before moving on.... I guess Gods/Goddesses can't get very close to me if I'm in such a rush. Plus, I bet it's disrespectful. Yeah. I'm pretty sure it's disrespectful.... My bad. *bows head in shame* **Owes Apollo a big apology**

Without this breaking down into a metagenetic's debate- perhaps a useful suggestion might be to look into the gods of your ancestors.

Metagenetics aside, I have to second this--despite the attraction to the Theoi (Greek gods) that had already been established, I turned first towards my ancestral gods. And, I suggest it to everyone that wants to explore pantheons. Just don't go about it the way I did and force it on yourself unsccessfully for 10 years!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:53 am
I forgot my other usual caveat.

Stay away from groups that demand an ancestral or cultural link you do not possess. It's rude to inflict yourself upon traditions that either do not want you or cannot allow you to join.  

TeaDidikai

emmfullness

5,650 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:06 pm
TeaDidikai
emmfullness
I wasn't searching for a patron. I was searching for a pantheon that I can work closely with. Problem is, I can't work with dieties that I'm not very intimate with. Perhaps I ought to give more time to develop relationships before moving on.... I guess Gods/Goddesses can't get very close to me if I'm in such a rush. Plus, I bet it's disrespectful. Yeah. I'm pretty sure it's disrespectful.... My bad. *bows head in shame* **Owes Apollo a big apology**

Without this breaking down into a metagenetic's debate- perhaps a useful suggestion might be to look into the gods of your ancestors.
Hmm...I'm German, Dutch, British, and a very, very tiny portion African (and by tiny I mean somewhere around 1/12 cool . I guess I could look further into the Celtic dieties, but to be honest, I've had the least luck with them. Not only do I have the biggest trouble even picturing them, but I've not once held any kind of successful conversation. I could at least talk to Apollo and Artemis and could get the general feeling Aphrodite was having towards me. I'm pretty close to Hathor as well, but that's understandable for personal reasons that I don't really want to get into right now. I don't want to leave working with the Greek dieties so fast since I've had the greatest luck with them. Maybe I'll try talking to other Gods/Goddesses in the pantheon before moving on. The more I think about it, I haven't tried talking to Demeter, Zeus, Poseiden, or Persephone, yet. I've avoided, sadly and perhaps shamefully, talking to Athena simply because I've already found a couple spirit guides who already hound on me to do stuff like homework all the time...even when I have no homework.... stare Anyway, yeah, I think I'll try working with more of them first and then maybe try Egyptian dieties. I guess if I'm close to Hathor I could have a natural connection there, especially since she found me long before I started looking. And it would explain why I spent six years of my childhood with an absolute obsession with Ancient Egypt....  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:09 pm
TeaDidikai
I forgot my other usual caveat.

Stay away from groups that demand an ancestral or cultural link you do not possess. It's rude to inflict yourself upon traditions that either do not want you or cannot allow you to join.
I wouldn't dream of it. Last thing I want is to work with people who don't want to work with me. That seems like it would be highly detrimental to everyone involved. 3nodding  

emmfullness

5,650 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Forum Junior 100

emmfullness

5,650 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:14 pm
AingealOreiad
TeaDidikai
emmfullness

Metagenetics aside, I have to second this--despite the attraction to the Theoi (Greek gods) that had already been established, I turned first towards my ancestral gods. And, I suggest it to everyone that wants to explore pantheons. Just don't go about it the way I did and force it on yourself unsccessfully for 10 years!
3nodding Fortunatley, I do not have ten years of patience to remain in a bad possition. If I'm not moving forwards, then I'm going to asume that there's something blocking my path and therefore either plow down the obstacle or ditch the path all together and jump on another. With relationships, I obviously can't plow down what's in the way, thus I move on after a couple of months of fruitlessness. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:35 pm
emmfullness
TeaDidikai
emmfullness

Hmm...I'm German, Dutch, British, and a very, very tiny portion African (and by tiny I mean somewhere around 1/12 cool . I guess I could look further into the Celtic dieties, but to be honest, I've had the least luck with them. Not only do I have the biggest trouble even picturing them, but I've not once held any kind of successful conversation. I could at least talk to Apollo and Artemis and could get the general feeling Aphrodite was having towards me. I'm pretty close to Hathor as well, but that's understandable for personal reasons that I don't really want to get into right now. I don't want to leave working with the Greek dieties so fast since I've had the greatest luck with them. Maybe I'll try talking to other Gods/Goddesses in the pantheon before moving on. The more I think about it, I haven't tried talking to Demeter, Zeus, Poseiden, or Persephone, yet. I've avoided, sadly and perhaps shamefully, talking to Athena simply because I've already found a couple spirit guides who already hound on me to do stuff like homework all the time...even when I have no homework.... stare Anyway, yeah, I think I'll try working with more of them first and then maybe try Egyptian dieties. I guess if I'm close to Hathor I could have a natural connection there, especially since she found me long before I started looking. And it would explain why I spent six years of my childhood with an absolute obsession with Ancient Egypt....
German and Dutch? Have you looked at Asatru?  

TeaDidikai

emmfullness

5,650 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:39 pm
TeaDidikai
emmfullness
TeaDidikai
emmfullness

German and Dutch? Have you looked at Asatru?
I've heard of it, but haven't looked into it much.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:04 pm
Norse/Germanic Recon. Good source material (Eddas, Sagas etc), lots of foundation within Reconstruction- watch out for the rascists though.  

TeaDidikai

AingealOreiad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:00 pm
emmfullness

If you feel an affinity for the Theoi, by al means stick to it! I highly agree that you should try to interact with and learn more about the pantheon as a whole. Also, keep in mind the fact that not everyone will commune with all the gods in a pantheon.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:00 pm
TeaDidikai
Norse/Germanic Recon. Good source material (Eddas, Sagas etc), lots of foundation within Reconstruction- watch out for the rascists though.
3nodding I'll look into that.  

emmfullness

5,650 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Forum Junior 100

AingealOreiad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:10 pm
emmfullness
Anyway, yeah, I think I'll try working with more of them first and then maybe try Egyptian dieties. I guess if I'm close to Hathor I could have a natural connection there, especially since she found me long before I started looking. And it would explain why I spent six years of my childhood with an absolute obsession with Ancient Egypt....

Ancient Greeks often worshiped the Netjer as interaction grew between Greece and Egypt. As a matter of fact, there is a small group of Hellenists that also worship the Netjer are are even trying to formulate a religion based on that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:43 pm
AingealOreiad
emmfullness
Anyway, yeah, I think I'll try working with more of them first and then maybe try Egyptian dieties. I guess if I'm close to Hathor I could have a natural connection there, especially since she found me long before I started looking. And it would explain why I spent six years of my childhood with an absolute obsession with Ancient Egypt....

Ancient Greeks often worshiped the Netjer as interaction grew between Greece and Egypt. As a matter of fact, there is a small group of Hellenists that also worship the Netjer are are even trying to formulate a religion based on that.
Interesting....  

emmfullness

5,650 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Forum Junior 100

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:42 pm
AingealOreiad

If you feel an affinity for the Theoi, by al means stick to it! I highly agree that you should try to interact with and learn more about the pantheon as a whole. Also, keep in mind the fact that not everyone will commune with all the gods in a pantheon.

Ain't that the truth. I cannot recall ever having a relationship with Poseidon, and contact with Artemis is rare. I still give them worship and sacrifice, but we don't have a relationship.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:50 am
emmfullness
TeaDidikai
Norse/Germanic Recon. Good source material (Eddas, Sagas etc), lots of foundation within Reconstruction- watch out for the racists though.
3nodding I'll look into that.

If you are indeed interested in German or Scandinavian Reconstructionist religions, read both the Prose and Poetic Eddas, the texts of which are conveniently available online.
If you are looking for books on Asatru and the German or Scandinavian Reconstructionist religions, you might want to start with either Teutonic Religion by Kvendulf Gundarsson or A Book of Troth by Edred Thorsson.
Avoid anything by D.J. Conway, as she has the unpleasant habit of writing the same book multiple times and substituting different religions; she also suffers from a terminal case of poor scholarship. For the same reason, avoid The Rites of Odin by Ed Fitch. Not only does the book suffer from poor scholarship, but Fitch is a fluffy Wiccan who attempts unsuccessfully to combine traditional Teutonic religion with modern Wicca.
(I have actually participated in rituals with him and his group, so I know this from experience)
I also suggest going to your local library and reading everything you can on both Teutonic and Scandinavian culture, religion, and society, as the best way to study a religion is to understand the forces which shaped it.
Good luck in your research!

godhi

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:35 am
I agree with Godhi's assertions above. I also like Thorsson (and associated pen names), but double check some of his historical accuracy. He plays a little fast and loose with his UPG.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff