Submit

hollow_lizard

Wheezing Cat

16,800 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Pieversity 200
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:04 pm
I love decorating and shopping, actually.

What I hate is the fact that people you don't talk to or barely tolerate the rest of the year suddenly think you want to go to their Christmas party and get offended when you say you have other plans or have to work.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:58 pm
The only thing I dislike about the holiday season is the obsession with gifts. I'm not rich, and I wouldn't complain if I weren't able to receive a gift on Christmas. It's one of the days my mother takes off every year, and I love the family time. smile  

xoAniLuv

Dangerous Lunatic

9,350 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Alchemy Level 2 100

xena91388

Gambino Zealot

14,150 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:55 pm
I hate political and obligation gifts. You know, the presents you give/receive because people just want to "keep up appearances".

To me, nothing is more insulting than someone buying any random trinket or "gift set" off of a random shelf in a random store and then giving it to me so they look like they care about me. This shows two things: 1) they really don't care about your likes or interests because you are not really worth their time, and 2) They are lying about not caring about you, using the gift as evidence.

It doesn't matter if the gift costs $10 or $10,000, if it's given for the wrong reason, I don't want it.

These gifts lead into the Obligation gifts. Once someone gives me something for whatever reason, I feel compelled to return the sentiment and that forces me to the first point which makes me hate them more.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:04 pm
Most of the music and relatives coming over just to eat. e__e I don't know why but my father always insists that they come over to our house.  

Bana Banana

Sweet Creature

34,275 Points
  • Battery 500
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Rat Conqueror 500

Jebebo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:31 pm
Bana Banana
Most of the music and relatives coming over just to eat. e__e I don't know why but my father always insists that they come over to our house.

Do you hate your relatives or something? I love having my relatives over. Unfortunately most of my relatives live very far away though so I very rarely see them.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:15 pm
Jebebo
Bana Banana

Do you hate your relatives or something? I love having my relatives over. Unfortunately most of my relatives live very far away though so I very rarely see them.
I hate the ones that live near me because they get very clique-y with one another and passive aggressive with me. :/ I just feel like I'm back in high school when I'm around them. The family members that I would love to have over all live in different countries.  

Bana Banana

Sweet Creature

34,275 Points
  • Battery 500
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Rat Conqueror 500

shadow22cat

10,275 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Member 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:00 pm
I'm not Christian, and therefore don't celebrate it. (I'm Jewish, and Hanukkah is usually around that time, but it's not a big holiday. Nice though.) What I hate is seeing it everywhere I go at a certain time of the year. Sometimes in July! It's very isolating for someone who doesn't celebrate it. I always get asked things like what do you want for Christmas? Or, have a Merry Christmas. It's kind of annoying. The music that's constantly anywhere you go that time of the year, gets on my nerves too. The decorations are everywhere. Even food is themed around it.

I have absolutely no problem with people who do celebrate it, just wish it wasn't being shoved down my throat every time I leave the house. I even kind of like the lights. I've helped my Christian friends in the past decorate their tree and put up decorations. If I can help them have a good holiday, it makes me feel good, too. Sometimes, they help me with my holidays.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:17 pm
-My mom decorates alot for it.
-Mom offers family to come out to our small house so my cousins pile into my small room and leave it messy and never clean up so I have to clean it all
-Super cleaning: I have to clean my bathroom and other stuff. I do most of cleaning on that holiday which isn't fair
-They have way to many movies that come out and family watches alot of them and its just annoying.
-People/Family don't talk to you barely or if ever then comes and start asking if you got them a present.
-Usually do give everyone something small but nice since there is alot and its hard to know what people like. Sometimes family complains about their gifts. My grandma ask for things but never uses them at all (well never uses my mom's gift but uses aunt and uncle).
-Feels a bit sad that no one gets you anything
-Stop liking Christmas long ago. Only Holiday I still like is Halloween and 4th of July  

AkumaNoNamida20

Strawberry Requiem

Thieving Sex Symbol

16,600 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:18 pm
Money's been really tight in my house for the last few years, so the holiday season mainly serves as a bitter reminder of that for me. My family and myself can't afford to give the way we'd like, and considering I raise my young nephew, I feel as though I'm disappointing him because his gifts have been slowly dwindling.

Otherwise, it's actually a pretty happy season, sans dealing with other shoppers. My dad's a big kid around that time of year, so the whole house gets decked out with decorations he's been collecting for about 30 years. We stay up late, watch Holiday movies, put the fireplace on, and all that 'traditional' stuff.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:35 pm
shadow22cat
I'm not Christian, and therefore don't celebrate it. (I'm Jewish, and Hanukkah is usually around that time, but it's not a big holiday. Nice though.) What I hate is seeing it everywhere I go at a certain time of the year. Sometimes in July! It's very isolating for someone who doesn't celebrate it. I always get asked things like what do you want for Christmas? Or, have a Merry Christmas. It's kind of annoying. The music that's constantly anywhere you go that time of the year, gets on my nerves too. The decorations are everywhere. Even food is themed around it.

I have absolutely no problem with people who do celebrate it, just wish it wasn't being shoved down my throat every time I leave the house. I even kind of like the lights. I've helped my Christian friends in the past decorate their tree and put up decorations. If I can help them have a good holiday, it makes me feel good, too. Sometimes, they help me with my holidays.

That actually reminds of something. There is one thing I do hate, and it is actually sort of what you said.

Now, as I said before, I do celebrate Christmas, I actually love it. But I hate how pushy people get about it. Most stores and such around here have signs like "Happy Holidays." Which is good. Because some people, like you, don't celebrate Christmas but other holidays instead. But many people I see say things like "It's not Happy Holidays it's Merry Christmas!!" "Stop saying Happy Holidays!!" Like seriously? What's the big issue with being inclusive? Christmas isn't the only Holiday at that time!

Me and my family celebrate Christmas, we say Merry Christmas to each other. But I hate how rude just about everyone seems to be about it around that time.

Also, oddly enough. I'm not even Christian. So I guess you could say I'm not even celebrating Christmas exactly myself. Most of family is actually christian, and I grew up celebrating it, and enjoying it. But I nowadays I am Atheist. But something about that time still always gets me in a good mood. I still love having the family over, trading gifts, looking at the lights, and listening to the music.  

Jebebo

Jebebo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:40 pm
Bana Banana
Jebebo
Bana Banana

I hate the ones that live near me because they get very clique-y with one another and passive aggressive with me. :/ I just feel like I'm back in high school when I'm around them. The family members that I would love to have over all live in different countries.

I see, sorry.
There are many family members I would love to have over then too. But most live way too far away to come down every year. They live in the same country, but still too far. But I do like the ones that come over.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:54 pm
Jebebo
shadow22cat

That actually reminds of something. There is one thing I do hate, and it is actually sort of what you said.

Now, as I said before, I do celebrate Christmas, I actually love it. But I hate how pushy people get about it. Most stores and such around here have signs like "Happy Holidays." Which is good. Because some people, like you, don't celebrate Christmas but other holidays instead. But many people I see say things like "It's not Happy Holidays it's Merry Christmas!!" "Stop saying Happy Holidays!!" Like seriously? What's the big issue with being inclusive? Christmas isn't the only Holiday at that time!

Me and my family celebrate Christmas, we say Merry Christmas to each other. But I hate how rude just about everyone seems to be about it around that time.

Also, oddly enough. I'm not even Christian. So I guess you could say I'm not even celebrating Christmas exactly myself. Most of family is actually christian, and I grew up celebrating it, and enjoying it. But I nowadays I am Atheist. But something about that time still always gets me in a good mood. I still love having the family over, trading gifts, looking at the lights, and listening to the music.

Yeah, it's kind of awkward at times. When I was little, I had almost no inhibitions. So when people said things like "And, what do you want for Christmas little girl?" I'd fire back up at them almost indignant looking saying: "I don't celebrate Christmas! I celebrate Hanukkah!" Then, things would get really weird. Some looked like they were hurt. Of course, most of that happened in kind of a rural area of Kentucky, and I don't live there now. They were surprised that not everyone celebrates it. Now, I try to be really polite, smile, nod, and leave quickly. In this area they do try to enforce the Happy Holidays thing, but most people don't follow it. I do have some friends who've told me they're not Christian, but they enjoy Christmas still because it's a time to be with family and such. If you're raised in that kind of environment, yeah I can see why some would keep that up. But, when you come from a different 'culture' or religion, it's a whole different can of worms.

Oh, another thing I hate about it is we had 'holiday' concerts while I was in band in junior high through high school. I refused to play the really religious tunes. It felt very awkward, foreign, and painful in a way. Most of those concerts were in a church...  

shadow22cat

10,275 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Member 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Jebebo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:40 pm
shadow22cat
Jebebo
shadow22cat

Yeah, it's kind of awkward at times. When I was little, I had almost no inhibitions. So when people said things like "And, what do you want for Christmas little girl?" I'd fire back up at them almost indignant looking saying: "I don't celebrate Christmas! I celebrate Hanukkah!" Then, things would get really weird. Some looked like they were hurt. Of course, most of that happened in kind of a rural area of Kentucky, and I don't live there now. They were surprised that not everyone celebrates it. Now, I try to be really polite, smile, nod, and leave quickly. In this area they do try to enforce the Happy Holidays thing, but most people don't follow it. I do have some friends who've told me they're not Christian, but they enjoy Christmas still because it's a time to be with family and such. If you're raised in that kind of environment, yeah I can see why some would keep that up. But, when you come from a different 'culture' or religion, it's a whole different can of worms.

Oh, another thing I hate about it is we had 'holiday' concerts while I was in band in junior high through high school. I refused to play the really religious tunes. It felt very awkward, foreign, and painful in a way. Most of those concerts were in a church...

We had concerts like that. But only in Elementary. I am not as big a fan of the particularly religious songs either. I don't mind them, but I am just more a fan of the ones that don't sing about Jesus and Bethlehem. Some of my favorite Christmas tunes are Rocking around the Christmas Tree, Feliz Nazidad, Jingle Bell Rock, and Jingle Bells.

But anyway, I never refused to sing anything then, though. Actually I enjoyed them all a lot. Also, back then I was more religious then I am now. Like I said most of my family, including my parents, are Christian so I was too. But as I grew up and I started and started thinking for myself more, I changed. But still, I don't think I would refuse to sing songs like that even now. Well I'm a horrible singer and have no interest in participating in concerts now, but I mean I won't refuse just because I don't believe in God or Jesus. I just think of the bible and those songs as works of fiction. Also we did our concerts at a legion, rather then a church.

But yeah, being in a church does actually feel awkward for me. The only time I ever go in one is for funerals. I respect my family and their beliefs, so there is no way I will refuse to go. But I really don't like sitting there listening to the priest talk about how they are with God and all that stuff. I don't believe any of it, and I just don't feel like I fully belong there.  
20. ✿ - - - Debating

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff