Reply 27. ✿ - - - Girls
Teen divas don't have the right to Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

KayaTesagi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:38 am
Its not really divas its really the person. I know divas that are nice and ones that are mean lol. I met bigger people that talk about people that are same size. sweatdrop everyone talks bout everyone. I just wish it stop tho.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:27 am
-Summer Cherries-

Ah ha, my Sociology professor covered it too while discussing racial power structures. You can't zone out during his class because if he isn't making you laugh, he's making you feel as uncomfortable as possible. xD

I usually love his class, but I was so tired and I didn't have the petience so I read a book. xD He typically cracks me up!  

Call me Rainleaf

Beloved Seeker

-Summer Cherries-

Questionable Browser

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:59 am
L o s t -x- A b y s s
-Summer Cherries-

I hate to be that person, but because racism is defined as prejudice AND power, you cannot be racist against a White person in the technical sense. You can be prejudiced and bigoted towards them, but not racist because non-Whites don't possess the social power and dominance needed to complete the equation. While racially-charged insults against someone who is White hurts on an individual basis, it can't hurt them on an institutional level the way it does to racial minorities.

Of course, none of this would even be an issue if people would just stop irrationally hating on each other for asinine reasons like race, gender, sexual orientation, body size, etc., etc., but alas.

Well, then it depends on where you are in the world, because though in North America that would apply, in non-white dominate societies you could be racist towards a white person. Particular to the city where I live, everyone is a minority, because I'm in a multicultural hot spot.

Edit: Actually, this reminds me. I had a teacher for a short while in grade 3 (before they put me in a different class) who failed anyone who wasn't black. Since she was in a position of power above the students, doesn't that make her racist? So wasn't she being racist against the white students in the class?
Also, the principle changed everyone's grades after the fact, and the teacher lost her job (obviously) but that goes to show one can be racist towards white people... it's just rare.

Of course, location matters. It would apply within the context of the United States, where White is the socially dominant race. If Whites were a minority (not in terms of population, but power) and thus experienced societal disadvantages, we would call it racism.

That's a pretty complicated situation. Within the classroom the teacher has power, but I don't think the power she has (contextual authority) is the same kind of power (social dominance) that's being referenced to in the racism equation. So if she is a non-White person living in a Western society, she would still lack the institutional, macro-systemic power that the "power" half of racism is defined as. Her power (which was still ultimately conditional and able to be taken away) is limited to the confines of her classroom. Beyond it, she is still subjected to the same social discrimination that minorities face in accordance to our laws, policies, customs, values, norms, etc. In those terms, the White children she mistreated are more privileged than she is in within the greater community. Because her behavior has no structural support by social institutions, it might be categorized as prejudiced attitudes + discriminatory actions rather than racism.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:28 pm
RainbowPop26
Its not just teen divas its society too.

Its not always genetics but I don't believe it is ever right to call someone a name that will hurt their feelings. People need to learn to step into other people's shoes for a change.

Empathy is definitely a problem among people who are seen as divas. I'm reading about how empathy is instilled in my Human development class. Lack of empathy is a result of being raised by authoritarian parent/ parents who rule with an iron fist. They normally do not explain, or emphasize, emotional implications of the child's actions...so the child grows up without or with little empathy/ walking in other's shoes.

I live with one...a diva - who is mad that I get financial aid because I come from a foster home.
My roommate is narrow-minded as hell. Not to mention passive aggressive. This girl doesn't regard her fellow roommates emotions or history at all -.-

And so, I'm leaving that B.  

Gummy burrs

Ghostly Regular

14,150 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Unbreakable Bond 150

The_9th_Doctors_Rose
Crew

Doting Sweetheart

12,200 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:36 pm
retro_rage

Empathy is definitely a problem among people who are seen as divas. I'm reading about how empathy is instilled in my Human development class. Lack of empathy is a result of being raised by authoritarian parent/ parents who rule with an iron fist. They normally do not explain, or emphasize, emotional implications of the child's actions...so the child grows up without or with little empathy/ walking in other's shoes.

I live with one...a diva - who is mad that I get financial aid because I come from a foster home.
My roommate is narrow-minded as hell. Not to mention passive aggressive. This girl doesn't regard her fellow roommates emotions or history at all -.-

That's fascinating... I've never heard of that before. That definitely explains a few of the people I've known in the past!

I'm sorry to hear that . I wouldn't like to live with people like that. I can't stand to even be around people like that much less live with them.

I hope you do get to leave soon. heart  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:37 pm
L o s t -x- A b y s s
I know I'm totally overreacting, and you probably didn't mean it that way, but reading that was like a punch to the gut. You say they have no right to call people fat, but basically went around and did the same thing with reverse terms. I was called anorexic because of my weight in elementry school, and been often told to "eat something" so this is real sore spot for me. I'm underweight, and I know that. There isn't much I can do about it... and it hurts to read things like that. It goes both ways.

It's awful, no matter the person's weight or size, if someone attacks them for it.

I've had the same problem. I still feel upset if someone talks about my weight. I feel it is something that I could never accept about my body.

moxie foxy

Gummy burrs

Ghostly Regular

14,150 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:49 pm
RainbowPop26
retro_rage

That's fascinating... I've never heard of that before. That definitely explains a few of the people I've known in the past!

I'm sorry to hear that . I wouldn't like to live with people like that. I can't stand to even be around people like that much less live with them.

I hope you do get to leave soon. heart

Thank you for your sympathy. I hope I'll be able to leave soon too.... hopefully before finals.I get along with the average, optimistic- yet- realistic individual just fine so finding a new place shouldn't be a problem.
I also find the affects of child rearing specifically interesting as well =D It's neat to see how they come up again in the grown individual.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:07 pm
-Summer Cherries-
Of course, location matters. It would apply within the context of the United States, where White is the socially dominant race. If Whites were a minority (not in terms of population, but power) and thus experienced societal disadvantages, we would call it racism.

That's a pretty complicated situation. Within the classroom the teacher has power, but I don't think the power she has (contextual authority) is the same kind of power (social dominance) that's being referenced to in the racism equation. So if she is a non-White person living in a Western society, she would still lack the institutional, macro-systemic power that the "power" half of racism is defined as. Her power (which was still ultimately conditional and able to be taken away) is limited to the confines of her classroom. Beyond it, she is still subjected to the same social discrimination that minorities face in accordance to our laws, policies, customs, values, norms, etc. In those terms, the White children she mistreated are more privileged than she is in within the greater community. Because her behavior has no structural support by social institutions, it might be categorized as prejudiced attitudes + discriminatory actions rather than racism.

Ah, okay. Thanks for the learning experience I guess.

L o s t -x- A b y s s

Durem Dark Elf

10,400 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Healer 50
  • Survivor 150

L o s t -x- A b y s s

Durem Dark Elf

10,400 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Healer 50
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:11 pm
The Cupcake Rose
I've had the same problem. I still feel upset if someone talks about my weight. I feel it is something that I could never accept about my body.

I don't think I'll every be happy with my weight, whether I gain, lose, or stay the same, I won't be happy with it so I rather just not know. I can even trace back to when my concerns started, which was a comment my sister made when I was very young. She told me I was underweight, which scared me really bad at the time. It's stuck with me even since then.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:25 pm
L o s t -x- A b y s s
-Summer Cherries-

Ah, okay. Thanks for the learning experience I guess.

Thanks for reading all of that; I read it back to myself and was like, "What is this dense mess." emotion_drool

It all boils down to semantics, really; if you casually used the word racism to talk about prejudice against White people, I think most people would understand the point you're trying to make. But it's really important to make this distinction because it is necessary for conducting research and validating the experiences of racial minorities.  

-Summer Cherries-

Questionable Browser

L o s t -x- A b y s s

Durem Dark Elf

10,400 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Healer 50
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:30 pm
-Summer Cherries-
Thanks for reading all of that; I read it back to myself and was like, "What is this dense mess." emotion_drool

It all boils down to semantics, really; if you casually used the word racism to talk about prejudice against White people, I think most people would understand the point you're trying to make. But it's really important to make this distinction because it is necessary for conducting research and validating the experiences of racial minorities.

Ah, it wasn't too bad.

I'm pretty sure the people who said "You can't be racist towards white people" weren't be technical with the word... at least, the people I've encountered... but that's because they're only arguement was "It doesn't work that way" with no facts to back up they claim. You had facts, so I like you.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:31 pm
L o s t -x- A b y s s

I don't think I'll every be happy with my weight, whether I gain, lose, or stay the same, I won't be happy with it so I rather just not know. I can even trace back to when my concerns started, which was a comment my sister made when I was very young. She told me I was underweight, which scared me really bad at the time. It's stuck with me even since then.

Yeah my friend, one of my best friends, told me my body was hideous and I was just trying to look like a model. It felt like she had just stabbed me in the heart : (

moxie foxy

L o s t -x- A b y s s

Durem Dark Elf

10,400 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Healer 50
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:37 pm
The Cupcake Rose
Yeah my friend, one of my best friends, told me my body was hideous and I was just trying to look like a model. It felt like she had just stabbed me in the heart : (

Whoa, whoa, whoa. A best friend said that? I sure hope you explained to her how rude and harsh that was. That is not okay, especially from a friend. It always hurts way more from someone close. I'm lucky my best friend is in the same boat as me and went through the same experiences, so she's never say anything like that. That's just way harsh. D: I'm so sorry that she said something like that. I have to wonder what she was thinking to make such a comment.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:40 pm
L o s t -x- A b y s s
The Cupcake Rose

Whoa, whoa, whoa. A best friend said that? I sure hope you explained to her how rude and harsh that was. That is not okay, especially from a friend. It always hurts way more from someone close. I'm lucky my best friend is in the same boat as me and went through the same experiences, so she's never say anything like that. That's just way harsh. D: I'm so sorry that she said something like that. I have to wonder what she was thinking to make such a comment.

She was worried about me, and she thought I was starving myself, because she suffers from anorexia herself, so I guess she was trying to stop me from becoming like her but I did get very angry and upset. However when she saw that I eat like a pig, she stopped worrying and apologised, explaining herself.

moxie foxy

L o s t -x- A b y s s

Durem Dark Elf

10,400 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Healer 50
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:45 pm
The Cupcake Rose
She was worried about me, and she thought I was starving myself, because she suffers from anorexia herself, so I guess she was trying to stop me from becoming like her but I did get very angry and upset. However when she saw that I eat like a pig, she stopped worrying and apologised, explaining herself.

Oh dear. I see, however I still don't agree with the harshness of her words. I'm glad things were cleared up at least.

27. ✿ - - - Girls

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff