Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:11 am
Lt. Brookman
DarkElf27
...Did you put a beard on a Dark Eldar head...?
It's hard to make out on a Blackberry, but I think both bare heads are from the Wolf boxed set.
Huh. The hair thingy looks really familiar. I'll have to rummage through bitz sometime and cigure out what I'm thinking of.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:35 pm
DarkElf27
Lt. Brookman
DarkElf27
It's hard to make out on a Blackberry, but I think both bare heads are from the Wolf boxed set.
Huh. The hair thingy looks really familiar. I'll have to rummage through bitz sometime and cigure out what I'm thinking of.

They both are space wolves heads. This is my first army, so I've only the basic space wolves stuff.  

Zero_2005

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:03 am
Zero_2005
DarkElf27
Lt. Brookman
DarkElf27

They both are space wolves heads. This is my first army, so I've only the basic space wolves stuff.
Hey Zero, maybe you could make a thread of your own to document your first steps into the hobby? That way DarkReaper's thread won't be hijacked by others all the time. wink  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:25 am
Lady Blodwynn
Zero_2005
Hey Zero, maybe you could make a thread of your own to document your first steps into the hobby? That way DarkReaper's thread won't be hijacked by others all the time. wink
Aye, and I'd like to see more of your stuff. A separate thread for your projects is the way to do it. 3nodding  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Darkweaver66

6,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:40 pm
Hey reaper, any progress? loved the look on the Pod, would you be continuing it on the armour of the marines? Space Pups arent my fav chapter by any means but yours look, well, badass biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:26 pm
I have a batch of marines almost finished, I'm just trying to decide on how the final pack markings are going to look before I photograph them. I'm rather picky with details... I love being a perfectionist some times... rolleyes lol  

DarkReaper40k

Dangerous Shapeshifter

7,700 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Darkweaver66

6,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:44 pm
DarkReaper40k
I have a batch of marines almost finished, I'm just trying to decide on how the final pack markings are going to look before I photograph them. I'm rather picky with details... I love being a perfectionist some times... rolleyes lol

aha fair enough, long as we get our wolf-fix soon blaugh  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:29 am
Hey guildies!

Sorry for the delay but here are some well over due progress updates:

User Image

Seen here are a bunch of Grey Hunters that I've been working on. Believe it or not, they are not finished yet, as I plan on giving each pack a specific G.H. pattern on their right shoulder that isn't just pure red and then each pack will also receive specific pack markings across their armour (Think of the Phase 2/3 clones from Star Wars for reference).

User Image

I won't be doing those details however until all packs are fully painted because I honestly can't sit down and paint one pack at a time, I pick a few from each pack and do them up because that way, when all are done, there will be variations in style among each pack that will make them more unique among their brothers for observers who appreciate subtleties that is.

User Image

To better explain the subtleties, consider this:

Every G.H. in my army has variations in details from his brothers and while some have wolf pelts/tails, others have beards/hair or sword scabbards and ammo pouches. I personally can't stand when I look at an army and they are identical, it makes me think too much of a cartoon where everything is clean and polished. The soldiers of the 41st millennium battle through all types of terran, war zone and while some battle brothers will fall, others will join in for their first tour of duty. That being said, while their armour will be of the same basic design, the weathering, scratches and repair jobs will clearly reveal the veterans from the novices and add character to each set of armour. So why paint them the same?

User Image

Even for things like hair and beards, I grab guys from different squads and paint them up in small groups, each grouping being done with different colour combinations to ensure everyone isn't the same and that even goes for the skin colour, I make some lighter while others darker and some times I'll even through in a little red to give that angry-blood-rushing-to-face look.

User Image

With things like the pouches and scabbards, not all leathers are the same and depending on how they're treated and weathered, they will look different over time, so again I mix it up and make sure that for those who look closely, that they'll see that everyone has a little something different about them.

User Image

And finally, I've decided on my great company marking. Since I really wanted to keep my shoulder colours uniform and darker in nature (never really cared for that bright yellow, unpractical for night time hunters) I decided that G.H. pack markings would be red and black while the great company markings black and white. Which lead me to use the wolf howling at the moon symbol which works well for me since I always nicknamed by wolves the 'Shadow Wolves' because I always seem to fight really well in night missions... in the shadows of the pale moon light.

That's all for now, tell me what you think!  

DarkReaper40k

Dangerous Shapeshifter

7,700 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100

DaMetaEX

Dangerous Noob

6,700 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:53 am
i went with stonewolves i based them in regal blue and then drybushed Spacewolf grey on them and it turned out stone so that is how i did mine but your is cool as well  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:53 am
I definitely need to find my miniature tripod so I can take some better pictures of my miniatures, between fighting with lighting and those subtle shakes of the hand.. it's hard to get a decent picture I find. blah!

Any who, sounds simple enough DaMetaEX, I painted them in the same fashion as the drop pod with the black base and building it up with shadow grey and such with the badab black wash over top. I enjoy the process of developing the layers to get certain looks, the only trouble is finding the time to sit down and do it when I have so much on the go at once, lol.

~Merry Christmas!  

DarkReaper40k

Dangerous Shapeshifter

7,700 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:43 pm
Amazing models Dark, can't wait to see the whole army done and ready for the Wolf Time! wink  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:17 pm
Aye lass, that shall be a glorious time!

And thank you for the kind compliment. ^_^  

DarkReaper40k

Dangerous Shapeshifter

7,700 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash