Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.
Legislative and Regulatory Reform Bill. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Captain Churchill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:51 pm
Invictus_88
Well, let's see if I can expand such support over the next few years..

A singular " 3nodding " is a satisfactory first step.

Probably.
heh heh... whats there to say really if one agrees?  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:14 am
You're right.

I'm just hoping that sometime soon there will be a backlash against nannying government and overlegislation.

If that doesn't happen, then I hope I can spark some sort of UK libertarian movement.

Because, y'know, I really would.

stare  

Invictus_88
Captain

Captain Churchill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:43 pm
Invictus_88
You're right.

I'm just hoping that sometime soon there will be a backlash against nannying government and overlegislation.

If that doesn't happen, then I hope I can spark some sort of UK libertarian movement.

stare
Ha Ha. er.. go Mr. Invictus_88? xp

i hear one ofthe cons main 'beliefs' will be to defend peoples rights.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:13 pm
Captain Churchill
Invictus_88
You're right.

stare

It always was a core belief, though sometimes it seemed only in theory.

Hm, Osborn isn't the most inspiring surname. I should have it altered by deed poll to D'Victoire, Lockheart or Challenger.

Invictus_88
Captain

Captain Churchill

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:46 pm
Invictus_88
Captain Churchill
Invictus_88
You're right.

stare

Hm, Osborn isn't the most inspiring surname. I should have it altered by deed poll to D'Victoire, Lockheart or Challenger.

-|insert chuckle here|-

so i seen youin that danish cartoons thread.. whats yor take on this newest backlash by the muslim world and Islam in general?  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:37 am
Captain Churchill
Invictus_88
Captain Churchill
Invictus_88
You're right.

stare

-|insert chuckle here|-

so i seen youin that danish cartoons thread.. whats yor take on this newest backlash by the muslim world and Islam in general?

Over the cartoons, or is there a newer backlash?

Really, I think the furore was inevitably going to occur. As the Muslim world begins to have a larger importance in the West by the support by a few of terrorism, they were bound to find themselves evetually at the recieving end of the same brand of fairly inane mockery that all our religious and political institutions recieve.

Invictus_88
Captain

Captain Churchill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:51 am
Invictus_88
Captain Churchill
Invictus_88
Captain Churchill
Invictus_88
You're right.

stare

-|insert chuckle here|-

Really, I think the furore was inevitably going to occur. As the Muslim world begins to have a larger importance in the West by the support by a few of terrorism, they were bound to find themselves evetually at the recieving end of the same brand of fairly inane mockery that all our religious and political institutions recieve.
the newest as in the cartoons, older incidents being the satanic verses book and the van gogh murder.

unfortunately it is true about the muslim world and its larger importance.

it cant be one rule for one and one for the rest.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:38 pm
Captain Churchill
Invictus_88
Captain Churchill
Invictus_88
Captain Churchill
Invictus_88
You're right.

stare

-|insert chuckle here|-

the newest as in the cartoons, older incidents being the satanic verses book and the van gogh murder.

unfortunately it is true about the muslim world and its larger importance.

it cant be one rule for one and one for the rest.

It can't.

But when two have been working from different rules, and then one arbitrarily set their rules onto the other, you can expect friction. Irrespective of how just the rules.

Invictus_88
Captain

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:50 am
A Lost Iguana
Er. Doesn't the govn't have to have that passed through Parliament? Surely it'll fail at either Lords of if Commons gets a a free vote.

They're passing it through the committee stages and won't be giving it enough time in Parliament to iron-out the rubbish.

It is still in a form whereby it is able to amend itself and could easily, incredibly easily, be extended to apply to crimes of life imprisonment.

The government is trying to pass a bit of legislation which would give us an achilles' heel so fragile that a small amendment could do away with rights to a trial by jury, powers for the governemnt to extradite anyone on hidden evidence and allow, ultimately, for the effective dissolution of parliament.

I thought the antics of Labour were just foolish, but it has now become dangerous.

We need attention and action.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:56 am
Captain Churchill
Invictus_88, this is unacceptable, but not surprising. it is, as with ID Cards another attempt by the labour government to move to a totalitarian dictatorship. I do not see it having any problem going through in the commmons myself, I dont put a lot of faith in the current opposition to stop it. I think, like in many examples over the last 9 years we must look to the Lords to stop this.

It is quite deeply unsettling. I'd say terrifying but I don't want to undermine my argument with alarmist tripe. Quite honestly, this government is absolutely shafting our rights and freedoms and nobody cares, nobody listens, and nobody does a thing.

There are alleged 'safeguards' in that no new taxes can be created with this Bill but very ominously, new criminal offences can be created, provided that the penalty is of no more than two years in prison.

That means that they will be able to create arbitrary laws and regulations which do carry a criminal penalty, but without proper Paliamentary approval.

Indeed, with the ability of the bill to be used to amend itself, the safeguards can easily be removed or bypassed.

What is to prevent the powers demanded by this Bill from being used to amend existing terrorist legislatiom. To broaden the definition of terrorism, which already carries a life sentence?

Nothing. Nothing at all.

It can't pass. If it does then it'll cause big problems. Maybe not right away, but it'll happen within our lifetimes.

Invictus_88
Captain

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:57 am
We need some letters going-out, who are our respective MP's?  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:52 pm
Invictus_88
We need some letters going-out, who are our respective MP's?

Come on you buggers, to arms! This is important. I cannot express how important.

http://bill111.wordpress.com/

http://www.musicalbliss.co.uk/Letter to MPs.doc
http://saveparliament.org.uk/problem.html

If nothing else, raise hell on the ED-P thread.

Invictus_88
Captain

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:49 am
Oh well..

stare  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:42 am
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  

Mr. Bono Vox

Mr. Bono Vox

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:27 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games