Welcome to Gaia! ::

Harry Potter Guild of Gaia

Back to Guilds

The most active Harry Potter and Discussion guild in Gaia! 

Tags: Harry Potter, books, Discussion, Literate, Events 

Reply Halls Of Learning [Classrooms]
Potions Spring Term: Open & Lesson 2 up and due!! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you excited about potions?
Of course! Yes! It shall be my favorite class!
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
No, not really. Potions isn't really my thing
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Holy crap this is potions?! O.o must've taken a wrong turn in Albuquerque
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
If I were to respond with asking would we be making Love Potion #9, would I get Detention?
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 9

Yukina101

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:14 pm
Aunt Slappy
Name : Aunt Slappy (Amelia Grey)
House: Hufflepuff
Year: sixth
What did you learn from previous potions lessons?: I have not taken any potions before
A little something about yourself: Love potions, always wanted a course for it wink And i am a hard working Puffie
Favorite animal: Pheonix, Owl a bunch of creatures sweatdrop

Accepted and *ahem* refer to the last point on the poll emotion_yatta

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:08 pm

Name(roleplay or otherwise): Raine Lei
House: Slytherin
Year: 1st
Why did you choose potions?: It is part of the curriculum is it not? If it is not then what the heck am I doing here. I mean.. I want to learn about how to brew and create potions.
A little something about yourself: I'm particularly lazy and might doze off once in a while. HOWEVER if I see a chance to prove myself worth of being the VERY BEST I will work hard and do anything for that #1 spot.
Favorite animal: Dragon. I like how they rule the sky.

oRoseLalondeo

Yukina101

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:14 pm
kreativeheat

Name(roleplay or otherwise): Raine Lei
House: Slytherin
Year: 1st
Why did you choose potions?: It is part of the curriculum is it not? If it is not then what the heck am I doing here. I mean.. I want to learn about how to brew and create potions.
A little something about yourself: I'm particularly lazy and might doze off once in a while. HOWEVER if I see a chance to prove myself worth of being the VERY BEST I will work hard and do anything for that #1 spot.
Favorite animal: Dragon. I like how they rule the sky.

Accepted but if you do doze off, you won't mind that the other's use you as practice for their potions now would you? wink

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:00 pm
Potion Making Begins.....NOW!

Yukina101

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100

JuuzousJason XIII

Vicious Lunatic

22,025 Points
  • Team Jet 75
  • Married 100
  • Team Kitten Star 75
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:15 pm
Yami walked into the classroom and after taking notes takes the ingredients for his potion to his working area. After placing two cups of water into his cauldron he allowed it to boil with a high fire below it. Yami then took the Five-Finger Grass and stripped it, chopped it, and then crushed it into a fine powder. Yami then took a teaspoon of the powder before placing it into the cauldron to allow it to boil for ten minutes.

He then took half a dozen cinnamon twigs and turned them into fine powder before adding a tablespoon of that as well and added it to the cauldron of boiling water. He then took a handful of the needle shape Rosemary and dropped that into the boiling water as well. Yami then took the Echinacea roots before slicing them into small pieces and stirred them quickly into the now forming potion. After rubbing his forehead from the heat of the flames he smirked before crushing a dozen of the thin bright yellow leaves of the Yellow Gentian before folding it into the boiling water. At this moment he reduced the flame to a low level in order to allow the temperature to calm down.

After about an hour or so he removed the cauldron from the fire and allowed it to cool down before finally straining the liquid into a large mug.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:54 pm
Professor Nell walked around the classroom sure to avoid bumping any tables and watched as her new older students brewed their first potion. She walked over to Yami's table and found him putting his finished brew into the mug as directed. "Good job Mr. Enzeru, five points to Hufflepuff for a successfully brewed Blood-Replenishing potion." She took his cup and transferred it into a separate vial to give to test later before giving the rest to the hospital wing.  

Yukina101

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100

Syreyn

10,350 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:55 am
Amanda anxiously walks up to her cauldron, suddenly very aware of her nature to mess thing up and why she has never taken a potions class thus far. She quickly glances around the room, wondering if anyone else would be close enough to blow up with her, which she is just certain is going to happen.

Well, here goes.She takes a deep breath and turns her cauldron on high to allow the water to boil.

Potions book in hand she begins working to break down the Five-Finger Grass. Tea? Amanda giggles, at least i know I can't mess this part up! After getting the Grass stripped, cut up and crushed she put it in the strainer and sets it aside to boil.

Cinnamon, one of my favorites! She says, as she picks up the Cinnamon twigs, double checking what she must do with them. She begins to grind the cinnamon, loving the smell. Once that is done, she measures out one tablespoon and adds it to her cauldron.

Realizing it's been 10 minutes and her Grass tea is done, Amanda takes it off the heat and allows it to cool.

Amanda looks at the remaining ingredients and spots the rosemary. I think this one's next, she says. She reaches to grab the rosemary and notices the next step requires the Roots be sliced and stirred in quickly. Amanda sets the rosemary on the table and first prepares the Echinacea root by pre-slicing it into small pieces.

Ok, So far so good, she says. Taking another deep breath she slowly stirs in the Rosemary. Once that is finished she grabs the pieces of Echinacea root and begins to quickly stir that into the cauldron. Noticing it beginning to change she smiles, maybe this won't be as bad as I feared!

After checking her potions book for the millionth time Amanda reaches for the bright yellow leaves. Now for the Yellow Gentian, she says as she begins crushing the leaves. She then returns to the cauldron and folds the crushed leaves into the boiling water.

Smiling Amanda realizes she is almost done and turns the heat under the cauldron to low and lets the mixture simmer for an hour.

Looking around Amanda wonders what to do with this hour. Well, I've just joined COMC, better start reading! She says as she pulls out her book.

After an hour Amanda removes her cauldron from the fire and allows the ption to cool. Once properly cooled Amanda strains the contents into a large mug.

Amanda places the container of tea next to the mug of potion and looks around for Professor Nell.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:50 am
Name(roleplay or otherwise): Willow
House: Ravenclaw
Year: First
Why did you choose potions?: First years choose classes?! Oh my, I should have taken astronomy as well! I suppose it's the first thing that comes to mind, though, when I think about what I'm supposed to know as a witch.
A little something about yourself: I'm half-blood, and I don't like treacle.
Favorite animal: Anteater

((I really hope it's not too late to join- is it okay? I'm taking a lot of units in real life so I missed the opening of the thread -.-))  

Pearls of Diamonds

Invisible Borg

8,950 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conversationalist 100

Yukina101

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:52 pm
Pearls of Diamonds
Why did you choose potions?: First years choose classes?! Oh my, I should have taken astronomy as well! I suppose it's the first thing that comes to mind, though, when I think about what I'm supposed to know as a witch.

((I really hope it's not too late to join- is it okay? I'm taking a lot of units in real life so I missed the opening of the thread -.-))

Accepted and I'm glad you got on today, I was about to change the lessons and homework tonight or tomorrow so kudos for your good timing! Also, 5 points for being the first to take this class from your House biggrin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:54 pm
Pearls of Diamonds

Accepted and I'm glad you got on today, I was about to change the lessons and homework tonight or tomorrow so kudos for your good timing! Also, 5 points for being the first to take this class from your House biggrin

Yukina101

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100

oRoseLalondeo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:05 pm
Raine Lei, 1st Year Slytherin.

Raine dashed into the classroom, took her seat and finally looked up. The board was already covered with instructions, and hopefully no one noticed how late she snuck in. She took her parchment, copied the steps down, and crossed them off as she went.
»Heat the cauldron until the water boils
Taking her cauldron, she placed it lazily on top of the heater. Raine turned the heater up and then crossed the note off. A small flame was jumping from the heater, but it wasn't bright or hot enough to burn anything or catch Raine's Attention.

»Pour Flobberworm Mucus until the potion turns pink.
"GROSS!" Raine shouted as she picked up a vial of Flobberworm Mucus. She spilled it into the cauldron, stopping her process once the potion was magenta. " That doesn't seem right... But it's good enough anyway! "
»Add 6 Snake Fangs to the mortar.
Raine sighed as she picked up the Snake Fang. She wondered why she couldn't just take one from the Slytherin Common Room... It was decorated with Slytherin fangs anyway!
»Crush into a fine powder using the pestle
Ever so lazily, she crushed the fangs. Looking anywhere BUT whatever she was crushing, the powder was messy but still usable.
»Add 4 measures of the crushed fangs to your cauldron.
She did this step perfectly, not missing a beat. Maybe it was because she only had an hour left to brew the potion..
»Heat the mixture to high flame for 15 seconds
Raine heated the mixture and thought aloud, "Fire. Now that's something I like about this stupid class.
»Lower flame and leave to simmer for 45 minutes
"A WAITING LIMIT!?!?!?!?!?" Raine was frustrated. She only had 55 minutes left and she couldn't pinpoint the amount of time the rest of the steps take! She's not a Ravenclaw. Reluctantly, she lowered the flame.
»Mix the dried nettles until it turns green.
"Did I just read... Nettle Wine?" she thought aloud, but after she re-read the sentence she caught on. Raine mixed the solution of nettle and the almost complete Boil Cure.
»Add 4 horned slugs to your cauldron.
She picked up the slug, the disgusting creature she loathed to have alive. "It won't be so bad, he's dead meat!" Raine said quietly to herself as she dropped the slug into the solution.
»Mix horned slugs until the potion turns pink.
Raine mixed the cauldron, and looked at the sickly pink-red color. She was sure she'd done something wrong, but couldn't pinpoint what..
»Take the cauldron off the fire before adding the next ingredient.
Raine turned the fire off, and then picked the cauldron and swung it on the counter nearby, nearly spilling a part of it.
»Add 2 Porcupine Quills to your cauldron.
Raine added the two porcupine quills to the cauldron. just as stated.
»Stir 5 times, clockwise.
She stirred the potion, but she forgot which way to stir, and stirred counter-clockwise, turning the potion a light lavender.
»Ladle out potion into vial then tightly cork
Raine finished as the last of the class and ladled out the Potion. The vial was radiating an odd odor, like a gym sock mixed with a bucket of mud. She decided that was normal and handed it in, and quickly skipped out into the hallway.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:47 am
Yukina101
Pearls of Diamonds

((Yes But I have midterms in real life right now and I'm super stressed. I don't think I can do much with this class til next week. Will I get docked?I should have waited but I'm only not busy in the summer, when classes don't take place and I realllly wanted to actually participate in the guild.)

Pearls of Diamonds

Invisible Borg

8,950 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conversationalist 100

Yukina101

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:54 pm
kreativeheat
Raine Lei, 1st Year Slytherin.

Raine dashed into the classroom, took her seat and finally looked up. The board was already covered with instructions, and hopefully no one noticed how late she snuck in. She took her parchment, copied the steps down, and crossed them off as she went.
»Heat the cauldron until the water boils
Taking her cauldron, she placed it lazily on top of the heater. Raine turned the heater up and then crossed the note off. A small flame was jumping from the heater, but it wasn't bright or hot enough to burn anything or catch Raine's Attention.

»Pour Flobberworm Mucus until the potion turns pink.
"GROSS!" Raine shouted as she picked up a vial of Flobberworm Mucus. She spilled it into the cauldron, stopping her process once the potion was magenta. " That doesn't seem right... But it's good enough anyway! "
»Add 6 Snake Fangs to the mortar.
Raine sighed as she picked up the Snake Fang. She wondered why she couldn't just take one from the Slytherin Common Room... It was decorated with Slytherin fangs anyway!
»Crush into a fine powder using the pestle
Ever so lazily, she crushed the fangs. Looking anywhere BUT whatever she was crushing, the powder was messy but still usable.
»Add 4 measures of the crushed fangs to your cauldron.
She did this step perfectly, not missing a beat. Maybe it was because she only had an hour left to brew the potion..
»Heat the mixture to high flame for 15 seconds
Raine heated the mixture and thought aloud, "Fire. Now that's something I like about this stupid class.
»Lower flame and leave to simmer for 45 minutes
"A WAITING LIMIT!?!?!?!?!?" Raine was frustrated. She only had 55 minutes left and she couldn't pinpoint the amount of time the rest of the steps take! She's not a Ravenclaw. Reluctantly, she lowered the flame.
»Mix the dried nettles until it turns green.
"Did I just read... Nettle Wine?" she thought aloud, but after she re-read the sentence she caught on. Raine mixed the solution of nettle and the almost complete Boil Cure.
»Add 4 horned slugs to your cauldron.
She picked up the slug, the disgusting creature she loathed to have alive. "It won't be so bad, he's dead meat!" Raine said quietly to herself as she dropped the slug into the solution.
»Mix horned slugs until the potion turns pink.
Raine mixed the cauldron, and looked at the sickly pink-red color. She was sure she'd done something wrong, but couldn't pinpoint what..
»Take the cauldron off the fire before adding the next ingredient.
Raine turned the fire off, and then picked the cauldron and swung it on the counter nearby, nearly spilling a part of it.
»Add 2 Porcupine Quills to your cauldron.
Raine added the two porcupine quills to the cauldron. just as stated.
»Stir 5 times, clockwise.
She stirred the potion, but she forgot which way to stir, and stirred counter-clockwise, turning the potion a light lavender.
»Ladle out potion into vial then tightly cork
Raine finished as the last of the class and ladled out the Potion. The vial was radiating an odd odor, like a gym sock mixed with a bucket of mud. She decided that was normal and handed it in, and quickly skipped out into the hallway.

Professor Nellmara observed her first years attentively remembering how nervous she had been when creating her first potion until she caught the sight of a first year Slytherin. She observed how barely paid attention to her instructions and as a result cleary produced something that was certainly not a boils cure. When she picked up the vial she had to plug her nose from the odor coming from it. "Well, at least this way she can only get better..." she muttered to herself.

+1 for trying

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:00 pm
Pearls of Diamonds
Yukina101
Pearls of Diamonds

((Yes But I have midterms in real life right now and I'm super stressed. I don't think I can do much with this class til next week. Will I get docked?I should have waited but I'm only not busy in the summer, when classes don't take place and I realllly wanted to actually participate in the guild.)

((Completely understandable! I'm going through finals right now as well and can barely even get on my computer let alone Gaia. But if you're worried that you won't be able to do the assignments in a timely manner know that they'll still be posted on the front page under "Previous Assignments" and you'll have the benefit of getting half the points for turning it late.))

Yukina101

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100

Syreyn

10,350 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 4:58 pm
Amanda walks into the potions classroom and promptly greets Professor Nell. Hello Professor, how are you today? She smiles and heads for her work table, pulling her potions book from her bag.

Ok, here it is....Making pepper-up potion, she says, turning to the proper page. Once the book is open she turns her attention to the ingredients set out on the work table. Much less nervous than last time, Amanda sets to work.

Let's see...Ok, I need the flowers from the Borage. Amanda says as she grabs the pile and begins to pull of some of the blooms. She places them in her mortar and crushes them into a powder. She then measures out 2 Tablespoons and sets them to the side for the moment.

Filling her cauldron with 2 cups of water Amanda then turns the flame to a low setting.

Ok, now I need the Fennel. Amanda says and begins to grind the seeds into a powder as well. Measuring 1 tablespoon Amanda adds the fennel to the bowl with the borage blooms.

Oh, these are quite pretty! She says as she grabs the next ingredient. Ok, how much of the pretty geranium flowers do I need? She says aloud as she references her text book. This isn't as hard as I feared, it's much like cooking...only...only.... sweatdrop suddenly remembering potions have the ability to explode in the wrong hands Amanda decides to take a little more caution and begins to move a bit solwer....Ok, now...it says 1 teaspoon. Amanda crushes the geraniums, measures out a teaspoon and adds them to the bowl with the other 2 ingredients.

Last ingredient! she says, reaching for the peppermint and taking a big whiff. Carefully picking off 5 leaves Amanda grinds them into a powder as well.

Adding the peppermint to the bowl with the rest, Amanda returns her attention to her text book. Ok, add all ingredients and simmer 3 hours....seems simple enough.

Amanda pours all the measured ingredients into the cauldron and stirs them together. Alright, 3 hours stir occasionally. Looks like I have time to do my CoMC homework again, glancing at professor Nell she takes out her other text book and turns to the page about Beasts. "What is a Beast?" She begins, taking care to stir her potion once in a while.

After just under 3 hours had past Amanda closes her CoMC book and returns her attention to her potions book. Alright, it's been 3 hours, heres hoping for the best! Amanda removes her cauldron from the heat and strains its contents into a large mug.

Looking around for Professor Nell Amanda says
, Alright Professor, I believe I'm done!

Halls Of Learning [Classrooms]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff