Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Warhammer 40,000 and Tabletop Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply Painting and Modelling Discussion
Cadian IG Restoration/Tallarn Conversion Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:02 pm
DarkElf27
Right now I'm going through and stripping paint off of the infantry down to the primer. Whatever primer you used Mac, it's strip-proof, but that's fine 'cause I use black primer anyway. Once that's done I'm going to finish separating into squads and fill in the holes with unbuilt guardsmen I have set aside. 3nodding
I only use Chaos black primer, the official stuff.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:14 pm
So I have a dilemma for you guys. Currently, I differentiate my infantry squads by color-coding the left shoulder plate. However, with now approaching 20 total separate units of infantry, I'm thinking about using a number system instead, 2 numbers on each shoulder pad. What do you people think?  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:05 am
As long as you keep it simple silly you'll do just fine.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:26 am
I told him to continue with the colors. I think its the simplest that it can be razz  

ArletaMagic

Hygienic Fairy

10,800 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:41 pm
So I've got about 1/3 of the Infantry with me on the boat in a tackle box. I've so far finished one infantry unit (the one that was in the contest) which I think turned out alright. Here's the image...

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:42 pm
Also taking votes on what color to paint the shoulder-pad for the next infantry squad. I've already used blue, green, yellow, red, and cyan.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:18 am
DarkElf27
Also taking votes on what color to paint the shoulder-pad for the next infantry squad. I've already used blue, green, yellow, red, and cyan.
I vote for a muted colour, I'd hate to be one of the guys with a bright colour. They have a name for those guys: "Squad Cannonfodder" sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:47 am
Lt. Brookman
DarkElf27
I vote for a muted colour, I'd hate to be one of the guys with a bright colour. They have a name for those guys: "Squad Cannonfodder" sweatdrop
That's why I was asking earlier whether I should swap that out with a number instead of a color.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:49 am
DarkElf27
Lt. Brookman
DarkElf27
That's why I was asking earlier whether I should swap that out with a number instead of a color.
Numbers work. Or if you want to be really old school, numbers and colours as found in the 3rd edition Guard codex. wink  
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:55 am
Lt. Brookman
DarkElf27
Lt. Brookman
DarkElf27
Numbers work. Or if you want to be really old school, numbers and colours as found in the 3rd edition Guard codex. wink
I've not got mine handy, it'd probably be simple white numbering if anything, you told me that system with the regiment number and then squad number, or such?  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:58 am
DarkElf27
Lt. Brookman
DarkElf27
Lt. Brookman
DarkElf27
I've not got mine handy, it'd probably be simple white numbering if anything, you told me that system with the regiment number and then squad number, or such?
From what I recall, don't have any books handy myself either, the 3rd edition had squad number in a circle with two colours, one for regiment, the other for platoon.

4th and 5th edition have Regiment-platoon-squad as their code.  
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:06 am
You were mentioning a 4-digit number, starting with regiment, then platoon, then squad. I'm counting on not having more than 9 platoons for that, though, unless I put decimals in between each. Either 2711 or 27.1.1 or somesuch.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:05 am
Well I got the badge sorted out. Vertical bands across the shoulderpad, left stripe is Regiment, right stripe is Platoon, with a super-imposed white number for squad. Sergeants have a smaller number at the bottom of the bands, and have the 3-chevron rank markings across the shoulderpad. Infantry squads will be numbered 1-5, and special/heavy weapon squads numbered 6-9. Officers will have gold or silver trim, depending on their rank (platoon commander vice regimental commander). Pictures to come later, I can't upload from this computer.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:13 am
Here ya go, photos of recent IG work. I've completed 2 infantry squads, a mortar squad, and a Chimera since getting underway, and next I'm working on a sniper squad.

I've also made the decision to paint facial features on all guardsmen, for uniformity. They don't need to be perfect on the generic squadies, but the practice helps hone my skills for the models that matter as well.

Run-of-the-Mill Guardsmen
User Image

Sergeant
User Image

Flamer Dude
User Image

Commissar
User Image

Chimera
User Image

Mortar Team
Larger Image