Unbeatable Visionary

10,550 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Megathread 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:23 pm
Read All Over
Quote:
although, let's be honest, as a white male you were ******** on the scholarship front.
there are scholarships specifically for females of like every visible minority, which is kinda ridiculous.
Like, got a v****a? check. Got ethnic background? check. HAVE SOME MONEY.

meh, that's not always the case - I'm an Alaskan native single mother disabled Air Force veteran who is unemployed and only going to college, which would make one think the government is throwing money at me, but I could barely get my kid on govt funded healthcare.

Meanwhile. other single moms here sell their foodstamps for meth rolleyes

I think it's more like knowing how to work the system. There's tons of grants and other opportunities out there that get passed over because they require something in return, or you can't just go for a random degree program, it has to be related to a high-need job field, like teaching or multimedia communications.

THIS.
The government literally throws money at you if you're going to college to be a nurse or a science/math teacher.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:24 pm
Eudaemon
Read All Over
Quote:
although, let's be honest, as a white male you were ******** on the scholarship front.
there are scholarships specifically for females of like every visible minority, which is kinda ridiculous.

meh, that's not always the case - I'm an Alaskan native single mother disabled Air Force veteran who is unemployed and only going to college, which would make one think the government is throwing money at me, but I could barely get my kid on govt funded healthcare.

I think it's more like knowing how to work the system. There's tons of grants and other opportunities out there that get passed over because they require something in return, or you can't just go for a random degree program, it has to be related to a high-need job field, like teaching or multimedia communications.

THIS.
The government literally throws money at you if you're going to college to be a nurse or a science/math teacher.

language teachers too 3nodding they'll even pay off most of your student loans in addition to giving you like 2k a semester, here in OK at least.  

Read All Over

Bashful Bookworm

17,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Bookworm 100

[color=emo]

Salty Rogue

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:09 pm
Read All Over
Quote:

I guess that was just my experience as a student entering straight from high school into a science-y program xD

I feel like as long as you're entering straight from high school, everything is loads easier, which is kind of unfair just cause a lot of people put off college for various reasons and getting back into the swing of things is probably hard enough without a shitton of rules.

In Ontario there's a new thingee that basically cuts tuition costs, but there are loads of catches like you have to be a full time student and a resident of Canada. So if you're an international student you're ********, or if you're trying to get your degree while keeping a job and other stuff , you're also ******** is funny cause you'd think they'd benefit most from tuition cuts.

huh.

foodstamps for meth D; but you need food to live ;____;  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:15 pm
O_o thank god, I love the UBA. It doesn't matter how much money you have, you can live in a dumpster and still have an excellent university education, with a wide range of scholarships possibilities, but there's no need to pay for the right to be there and learn.  

Kiaori Moon Warrior

Combative Gaian

Read All Over

Bashful Bookworm

17,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:21 pm
Quote:
Read All Over
Quote:

I guess that was just my experience as a student entering straight from high school into a science-y program xD

I feel like as long as you're entering straight from high school, everything is loads easier, which is kind of unfair just cause a lot of people put off college for various reasons and getting back into the swing of things is probably hard enough without a shitton of rules.

In Ontario there's a new thingee that basically cuts tuition costs, but there are loads of catches like you have to be a full time student and a resident of Canada. So if you're an international student you're ********, or if you're trying to get your degree while keeping a job and other stuff , you're also ******** is funny cause you'd think they'd benefit most from tuition cuts.

huh.

foodstamps for meth D; but you need food to live ;____;

lol well you really are correct for the most part, though it just might be that intelligent people tend to get boned more often than stupid people XD like idiocracy, you know, on so many levels.

I dunno how it works in Canada, but in the US I tell everyone I meet that complains about it to join the military. You can be in for two years and get a seriously great college plan where they will pay all your tuition, books, and the majority of your living expenses for four years. Plus, you get a job skill that is generally great for getting hired when you get out, experience, and pretty good pay. A lot of weiners give me that "well I don't like getting ordered around" s**t, but you're gonna get bossed around ANYWHERE you go, might as well get the best out of the situation. /rant

but you are right, the system kinda sucks for a lot of people. my friend is 25, been working for like 6 years, but he can't get a Pell Grant (which is what most people use around here; it will pay all your costs at a community college for a semester) because he was still on his parents' insurance because he made too much to qualify for state health insurance @_@

yah foodstamps for meth crying I guess meth dealers have munchies sometimes, too XD  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:22 pm
in a barely related tangent, OMG RLY I LOVED SISTER ACT 2  

koirat

Shirtless Dog

15,025 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Normal Everyday Human 50
  • Magical Girl 50

Voat

Scholarly Storyteller

57,450 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Battle: Level 10 250
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:36 pm
[color=emo]
Ridley Starsmore
And now you know why I get mad when I couldn't get into college due to lack of funds. stare

Funny how 3 of my siblings are in law or military, and I'm a human forklift. emo
that's so bs.
people should never be turned away for monetary reasons classified_fu

I'm not doubting her inherent intelligence level. but jesus christ, she's LAZY, inconsiderate, and can't think for herself. I can think of quite a few people who deserve to be in her place more than she does.

also you could probably pick all your siblings up, so there's that :'D

Also you are a very attractive dust bunny wink

@Drunken
this is me bitching about a quiet asian girl that only talks to me to ask for free food and what my marks are.

she won't get far in life...trust me.

especially on exams that require a lot of critical and analytical thinking, she's going to fail if all she does is copy and not do the mental work herself

biggrin  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:48 pm
lol You should send a copy of the fb post to the professor. XD  

Infamous

Moonlight Citizen

44,600 Points
  • Wing Mastery 100
  • Winged 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

dakki-dono

Omnipresent Loiterer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:28 pm
On the scholarship front, I use it against people like that.
The government literally paid me to go to school. As in, gave me more money than I needed and I got to keep all of that s**t I didn't use, which over 2 years accrued to about 4000-6000 dollars. Extra. Sure, it meant I got my AFA at a community college, but It helped my family SO MUCH.

5 person household with two unemployed parents? Mom going back to school, too? They ******** throw money at you. Got a new computer the first semester, second I got my car fixed, third I used to visit CA, and fourth I used as start-up cash to move out here.

US people: DO YOUR ******** FASFAS ON TIME. SO WORTH IT.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:05 am
Meromictic
lol You should send a copy of the fb post to the professor. XD
lmao idk if i'm a big enough b***h for that :'D

and she's actually in a lower level chem than I am, so i don't even know who her prof is D;  

[color=emo]

Salty Rogue

Slick Southpaw

Feral Faun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:36 am
dakki-dono

Only worth it if you meet the requirements. I've just taken out some of gov't loans for the spring semester of nursing school cos I was too busy last semester to apply for scholarships when I learned in October that I got accepted (21 credits is a lot I guess). My folks make too much (even though most of it is like 3 smaller salaries from three different sources and they're helping put my lil bro through Embry Riddle). And I get cheaper health insurance if I stick with my folks and keep a full time student status.
I'm lookin at getting into the student nurses association to try my luck on more merit scholarships. FAFSA is of little use to me.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:14 pm
Slick Southpaw
dakki-dono

Only worth it if you meet the requirements. I've just taken out some of gov't loans for the spring semester of nursing school cos I was too busy last semester to apply for scholarships when I learned in October that I got accepted (21 credits is a lot I guess). My folks make too much (even though most of it is like 3 smaller salaries from three different sources and they're helping put my lil bro through Embry Riddle). And I get cheaper health insurance if I stick with my folks and keep a full time student status.
I'm lookin at getting into the student nurses association to try my luck on more merit scholarships. FAFSA is of little use to me.

That's kind of what the entire rest of my post was making a point of.
Either way, it doesn't hurt to try.  

dakki-dono

Omnipresent Loiterer

Slick Southpaw

Feral Faun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:38 pm
dakki-dono
Slick Southpaw
dakki-dono

...I probably should stop posting before my caffeine hits. xd I do my FAFSAs regardless, in vain hope that I'll get something out of it. Plus, a lot of schools are making it sorta mandatory if you even want to be considered for financial aid. At least the private universities do make it mandatory in my experience, even before I applied for financial aid, but just as a transfer student. Community college didn't care one bit.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:48 pm
Slick Southpaw
dakki-dono
Slick Southpaw
dakki-dono

...I probably should stop posting before my caffeine hits. xd I do my FAFSAs regardless, in vain hope that I'll get something out of it. Plus, a lot of schools are making it sorta mandatory if you even want to be considered for financial aid. At least the private universities do make it mandatory in my experience, even before I applied for financial aid, but just as a transfer student. Community college didn't care one bit.

My friend is in the same boat. His parents make too much to be considered, even though he lives on his own and they won't pay for any of it. Apparently you're free from that once you're 24, but he's halfway done and will likely finish right when he turns 24. gonk  

dakki-dono

Omnipresent Loiterer

Slick Southpaw

Feral Faun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:56 pm
dakki-dono
Slick Southpaw
dakki-dono
Slick Southpaw
dakki-dono

My friend is in the same boat. His parents make too much to be considered, even though he lives on his own and they won't pay for any of it. Apparently you're free from that once you're 24, but he's halfway done and will likely finish right when he turns 24. gonk

xd I'm gonna get my degree by the time I'm 23-24ish too. Despite my huge personal issues with my mother (I mean like 'you're going to go to hell and you deserved to be raped deal issues), I'm still grateful that I can get relatively free room and board while going to school. I don't think I'd be able to work and pull the grades I need. I did that for Army, which was painful but tolerable because it was all on the same campus with the exception of a few weekends--but man I don't think I could do much more than that. I'm going part time construction worker [whenever work is around] and water safety instructor during the summer as it is.  
Come Back Mero <33

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff