Welcome to Gaia! ::

[ B U R N :: the everything guild ]

Back to Guilds

The Everything Guild... For Everyone, Everywhere. Designed with you in mind, to help you make the very most out of your Gaia experience! 

Tags: charity, contests, reality, advice, gold 

Reply - Extended Discussion & Debate -
White paper? Don't be so racist. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Racheal Shanks

5,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:22 pm
I wish the drain thing was a typo, I really do.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:51 pm
That's just wrong.  

Wuppa Wuppa

Beloved Lunatic

8,300 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

haunting heaven

Prodigal Mage

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:44 pm
maui boy no ka oi
Only the darker ones. Assuming you're using something that actually coats the paper (like paint), they kind of balance each other out. Admittedly we will probably have to forgo the use of highlighters and colored pencils, but I'm sure if we're as smart as we say we are we would figure out other alternatives. In the end it really just comes down to personal preference. There is that which we grew up knowing to be right and there is that which is different. To take a strong stance on either side of the subject is inevitably biased.

So, what you're saying is, it's just as smart to use black paper despite us having to find a bunch of other alternatives as opposed to using what we already have on white paper. Yeah. That makes so much sense.

Sure it does come down to preference in some respects--a lot of artists do use darker paper as it achieves an effect they want--but white paper is still the easiest paper to use as all colors--no matter what the medium--will stand out on it. Sure. We could go through a whole bunch of bother and trouble and use black paper and specific mediums instead, but why on earth would we? It's not bias. It's just simplicity.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:02 pm
haunting heaven
maui boy no ka oi
Only the darker ones. Assuming you're using something that actually coats the paper (like paint), they kind of balance each other out. Admittedly we will probably have to forgo the use of highlighters and colored pencils, but I'm sure if we're as smart as we say we are we would figure out other alternatives. In the end it really just comes down to personal preference. There is that which we grew up knowing to be right and there is that which is different. To take a strong stance on either side of the subject is inevitably biased.

So, what you're saying is, it's just as smart to use black paper despite us having to find a bunch of other alternatives as opposed to using what we already have on white paper. Yeah. That makes so much sense.

Sure it does come down to preference in some respects--a lot of artists do use darker paper as it achieves an effect they want--but white paper is still the easiest paper to use as all colors--no matter what the medium--will stand out on it. Sure. We could go through a whole bunch of bother and trouble and use black paper and specific mediums instead, but why on earth would we? It's not bias. It's just simplicity.
I suppose it wasn't smart to free all the slaves despite all of our major industries in the pre-Civil War era having a workforce made primarily of African slaves right? It must also have not been a smart idea to overthrow fascism during WW2 or to eliminate absolute monarchy via the 1689 Bill of Rights because of what we already had accomplished with those tyrannical systems right? Because everyone knows that freedom is for suckers if it means we have to work.

I think it won't be long before other prejudiced ideas in America fall out of favor and/or are abolished such as the idea of monogamous marriage (which is not only based on a Christian idea of marriage but also a legally binding contract made between 2 peoples which does not match up with the idea of separation of church from government). I'm pretty sure you're one of those people who can't see a world where that happens either eh? Do a little research into historic revolutions or even just ask your grandparents about what life was like in their day and you can see just how easily popular ideas are discarded in favor of newer more "righteous" ideas of the time.  

maui boy no ka oi

Allied Ally

12,700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Newbie Helper 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

psycheduck

6,850 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:13 pm
"People might look at you a bit funny, but it's okay..."

Did anyone consider that if white paper is racist, black paper is just as racist? Just like brown paper or yellow paper? Racism works both ways.

"Artists are allowed to be a bit different." - Bob Ross

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:26 am
maui boy no ka oi
haunting heaven
maui boy no ka oi

I suppose it wasn't smart to free all the slaves despite all of our major industries in the pre-Civil War era having a workforce made primarily of African slaves right? It must also have not been a smart idea to overthrow fascism during WW2 or to eliminate absolute monarchy via the 1689 Bill of Rights because of what we already had accomplished with those tyrannical systems right? Because everyone knows that freedom is for suckers if it means we have to work.

I think it won't be long before other prejudiced ideas in America fall out of favor and/or are abolished such as the idea of monogamous marriage (which is not only based on a Christian idea of marriage but also a legally binding contract made between 2 peoples which does not match up with the idea of separation of church from government). I'm pretty sure you're one of those people who can't see a world where that happens either eh? Do a little research into historic revolutions or even just ask your grandparents about what life was like in their day and you can see just how easily popular ideas are discarded in favor of newer more "righteous" ideas of the time.

You're adorable, but this is paper. We're not talking about a revolution here. We're talking about some teacher (and you, apparently), deciding that the reason we use white paper at all is because we are subconsciously racist--not that it was simply the most logical color for paper. The difference between using white paper and slavery? No one is harmed by white paper. So get off your high horse, please, and come back to the real world where paper is paper, okay? God. White paper isn't popular because it's racist. It's popular because it is the most logical choice for the widest variety of uses. And you want to talk about freedom? You're absolutely free to use whatever color of paper you want, kiddo. So excuse me while I roll my eyes at your self-righteousness and continue to use white paper.  

haunting heaven

Prodigal Mage

maui boy no ka oi

Allied Ally

12,700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Newbie Helper 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:10 am
haunting heaven
maui boy no ka oi
haunting heaven
maui boy no ka oi

You're adorable, but this is paper. We're not talking about a revolution here. We're talking about some teacher (and you, apparently), deciding that the reason we use white paper at all is because we are subconsciously racist--not that it was simply the most logical color for paper. The difference between using white paper and slavery? No one is harmed by white paper. So get off your high horse, please, and come back to the real world where paper is paper, okay? God. White paper isn't popular because it's racist. It's popular because it is the most logical choice for the widest variety of uses. And you want to talk about freedom? You're absolutely free to use whatever color of paper you want, kiddo. So excuse me while I roll my eyes at your self-righteousness and continue to use white paper.
When compared to post-emancipation African-American life, no one was harmed by slavery either. There was absolutely no difference between Black life before and after the American Civil War except what was written down on the very white paper you're pushing so hard to defend. And even if slavery was the root of all hate crimes, basically what you're saying is that racism is perfectly alright as long as some people think it's "logical" and "doesn't hurt anyone". Next you'll be going on about how Joseph Goebbels was as harmless as those teenagers you see walking around with a self-proclaimed stance of rebellion and non-conformity since he wasn't the mad dictator in charge.

Back on subject, we are subconsciously racist whether you want to admit it or not. I have not met nor read about a single person (at least in America and other English-speaking countries) who was not racist to a degree. The thing is, most people are just like you who say something along the lines of "It's not racism if it's not hurting anyone" but who are you to say what does and does not hurt someone? That's nothing more than political smooth talking to convince others, and perhaps yourself, that nothing you do is wrong. Drawing a link from that subconscious racism to the fact that we use white paper for writing is rather far-fetched in comparison to other displays of racism but is far from an unreasonable conclusion.

As per its popularity, you're right that it's not popular because it's racist but when did I ever say that? All I ever said was that white paper is racist. To quote my first post: "Or maybe racism has become such an integral part of our lives we don't even notice it? You would really be surprised at how many racists don't think they're racist at all." The only reason it's popular is because it's been around since before we were born. It's what we grew up with so no one ever bothered to question it. Again I will come back to Goebbels. He said that humans, by nature, do not like to fight. They do not like to question things and it is much easier for them to conform than it is to fight something they may or may not know is wrong. In fact, a well-known psychological study known as the "Solomon Asch study" confirmed that theory to a T in that, under extreme social pressure from their peers, the majority would succumb to said pressure despite knowing what they were saying was wrong.

As per "getting off my high horse", am I the one who's telling people "all colors--no matter what the medium--will stand out on it... The difference between using white paper and slavery? No one is harmed by white paper."? I would think not. Even if every single color in the world stood out on white paper (which is untrue), it's not like we write in rainbows or do arithmetic with hilighters. And again, who are you to decide who does and does not get harmed by something? Does a white supremacist organization need to get together and slaughter hundreds of Negroes in the name of white paper before you acknowledge the inherent racism not only in white paper, but in many aspects of our everyday lives? Whenever I try to get a point across, I let the reader decide for themselves what does and does not make sense unlike you who seems to take great pleasure in dictating to others what does and does not make sense.

@desu: I don't think they're pushing for a standardization of black, brown, or yellow paper; at least not how white paper is standardized today in the Western world just like how I don't think the black slaves or human rights activists (under Dr. King for example) were pushing to enslave white people. The real issue here, if I'm interpreting this correctly, is the lack of options and diversity within our society not just in paper, but in a large portion of our day to day lives. I think the writer was just citing the color of our paper as a pint of water within the vast sea that is prejudice.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:33 am
maui boy no ka oi
When compared to post-emancipation African-American life, no one was harmed by slavery either. There was absolutely no difference between Black life before and after the American Civil War except what was written down on the very white paper you're pushing so hard to defend. And even if slavery was the root of all hate crimes, basically what you're saying is that racism is perfectly alright as long as some people think it's "logical" and "doesn't hurt anyone". Next you'll be going on about how Joseph Goebbels was as harmless as those teenagers you see walking around with a self-proclaimed stance of rebellion and non-conformity since he wasn't the mad dictator in charge.

Back on subject, we are subconsciously racist whether you want to admit it or not. I have not met nor read about a single person (at least in America and other English-speaking countries) who was not racist to a degree. The thing is, most people are just like you who say something along the lines of "It's not racism if it's not hurting anyone" but who are you to say what does and does not hurt someone? That's nothing more than political smooth talking to convince others, and perhaps yourself, that nothing you do is wrong. Drawing a link from that subconscious racism to the fact that we use white paper for writing is rather far-fetched in comparison to other displays of racism but is far from an unreasonable conclusion.

As per its popularity, you're right that it's not popular because it's racist but when did I ever say that? All I ever said was that white paper is racist. To quote my first post: "Or maybe racism has become such an integral part of our lives we don't even notice it? You would really be surprised at how many racists don't think they're racist at all." The only reason it's popular is because it's been around since before we were born. It's what we grew up with so no one ever bothered to question it. Again I will come back to Goebbels. He said that humans, by nature, do not like to fight. They do not like to question things and it is much easier for them to conform than it is to fight something they may or may not know is wrong. In fact, a well-known psychological study known as the "Solomon Asch study" confirmed that theory to a T in that, under extreme social pressure from their peers, the majority would succumb to said pressure despite knowing what they were saying was wrong.

As per "getting off my high horse", am I the one who's telling people "all colors--no matter what the medium--will stand out on it... The difference between using white paper and slavery? No one is harmed by white paper."? I would think not. Even if every single color in the world stood out on white paper (which is untrue), it's not like we write in rainbows or do arithmetic with hilighters. And again, who are you to decide who does and does not get harmed by something? Does a white supremacist organization need to get together and slaughter hundreds of Negroes in the name of white paper before you acknowledge the inherent racism not only in white paper, but in many aspects of our everyday lives? Whenever I try to get a point across, I let the reader decide for themselves what does and does not make sense unlike you who seems to take great pleasure in dictating to others what does and does not make sense.

Not just think something is logical, but can demonstrably prove as much. I can prove that white paper is the most logical choice. If it is the most logical choice, then that is the reason it became standardized. You're trying to claim that it's popular because it's been around for such a long time, but why has it been around for so long? There must be a reason. I think it's because white paper works the best for the widest variety of uses. You think... what? I can only assume you think it's some racist conspiracy due to your insistence that it's racist.

Guess what mediums are cheap and often used by children? Crayons and colored pencils. Guess how well they work on black paper?

I'm not going to argue with you on whether or not everyone is subconsciously racist. I'm actually willing to buy that. But I do not think paper has anything to do with race. We don't use it because we associate it with "white" skin, we use it because of its convenience. Racism has to be related to race in some way, so unless you can demonstrate that white paper was chosen as the most widely used color of paper because it's associated with the white race, I'm not going to believe you.  

haunting heaven

Prodigal Mage

maui boy no ka oi

Allied Ally

12,700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Newbie Helper 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:48 am
haunting heaven
maui boy no ka oi

Not just think something is logical, but can demonstrably prove as much. I can prove that white paper is the most logical choice. If it is the most logical choice, then that is the reason it became standardized. You're trying to claim that it's popular because it's been around for such a long time, but why has it been around for so long? There must be a reason. I think it's because white paper works the best for the widest variety of uses. You think... what? I can only assume you think it's some racist conspiracy due to your insistence that it's racist.

Guess what mediums are cheap and often used by children? Crayons and colored pencils. Guess how well they work on black paper?

I'm not going to argue with you on whether or not everyone is subconsciously racist. I'm actually willing to buy that. But I do not think paper has anything to do with race. We don't use it because we associate it with "white" skin, we use it because of its convenience. Racism has to be related to race in some way, so unless you can demonstrate that white paper was chosen as the most widely used color of paper because it's associated with the white race, I'm not going to believe you.
I hate having to repeat myself. "Believe it or not, white paper is a relatively new thing." I didn't say it's "been around so long", only that it's been around long enough that we, as the latest generation of people, have grown up with. Paper had gone thousands of years without being white, whereas bleached paper only became a norm around the late 19th-20th century which just so happens to be a time when white supremacy was becoming more and more a dominant philosophy (surprise surprise).

Think about it this way: Kids today think artists like Deadmau5 and Skrillex are the best things to happen to music since the dawn of time. Their grandparents can't stand 10 seconds of the s**t. The only reason the kids like those artists (and actually why their grandparents hate it) is because they grew up with the things they accept as "pleasing" or "normal". That is really the only reason that we can't see paper as anything but white.

As per conspiracy, there are conspiracies all around us. This, however, is not a conspiracy. It's just "fact" as they call it. Just like how people accept many "facts" about Jesus Christ which were formerly associated with the Roman god Mithras before the rise of Roman Catholicism, people once again believe that there are no traces of any medieval ideologies, much less racism, ingrained in our everyday routines. But hell we have monogamous, Christian-based marriage as a very part of our legal system. So much for separation of church from state. Roman Catholicism still has a huge influence on people, especially those in the Western world. Why? It could be because we're still stuck in our medieval philosophies. Who really knows other than the people in charge? If we really are still stuck in medieval philosophies from the era of the HRE, that is probably where our ideas of racism come from.

As per cheap crap that children use, yeah kids won't be able to use crayons, colored pencils, or markers on a black sheet of paper. But once again, if we're really as advanced as we say we are, we should be able to figure something out in no time. If not, we really need to call into question our whole belief system and determine whether or not the human race really is the "superior race".

As per associating white with good, I'd beg to disagree. In Oceanic beliefs, the time before humans was a dark time in which everything existed in perfect harmony. After humans came along, the universe entered a period of light in which the whole world was ******** up. Maybe we don't associated white paper with white skin directly, but many of us do interpret it as the ideal color for many applications and subconsciously correlate white to good. The Western idea of referring to Caucasians as "white" once more subconsciously makes us draw a connection between Caucasians and good. That's not the only subliminal hint towards it either. There are tons more, more that I could list in a single sitting. And not only that, but many of them are actually a part of our everyday lives. When you think about it, this has more to do with language than it does about paper. As I believe was mentioned earlier, we shouldn't even be calling white people white nor should we be calling black people black. All it does is further the association between dark skin with bad and light skin with good.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:45 pm
this has to be one of the most ridiculous things i've ever heard in my life...people seem to enjoy taking things too far don't they?  

Darkest_Lies_4_1

Beloved Phantom

8,000 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Market Browser 100
  • Profitable 100

pirulaso

Dapper Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:49 pm
Well I did hate drawing on construction paper.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:17 am
neutral

Someone needs to show this woman how well lead pencil markings show up on paper that is any color other than white.

Seriously this to me seems like just an excuse to be offended. I personally believe people like this shouldn't get a voice. When it's obvious that the person is lacking any form of intelligence about the subject their opinion is moot.

I am sick of people who are essentially making s**t up acting like they have all the facts. Like they have access to knowledge the rest of us don't.

It's one thing to state your opinion as just that, opinion. It's a whole other ball game when you state it as fact and try and force everyone else around you into doing things the way you want.  

SelfMadeOrphan

5,350 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Masten December

Salty Genius

13,550 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:37 am
you know what else is white? the background to this site!

OPE, GAIA'S A RACIST.

also, i think we might need to take a look at the actual definition of racism before we make any more wild accusations.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:50 am
I only have one post to give. talk2hand

I work at a daycare, so I know what teachers and child care providers have to go through. However, that doesn't mean I agree with the system.

I am a firm believer that if you don't come down on a child when he/she is doing something wrong, then that child will never truely understand that what they are doing is wrong, no matter what alternatives you use.

I grew up in fear of the belt my mother would use when I did something wrong and I turned out just fine.

Paper is not racist, nor is any other tool we use, and to believe otherwise makes you an idiot and you need to go back to school.  

Saeed Jama

BioluminescentGirl

Friendly Nerd

8,300 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Millionaire 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:09 am
You people forget that there is other colored paper out there- you can buy it at almost any office supply store. They've got everything from red to yellow to blue and every color and shade in between. They also have black. The thing is, people usually buy the white stuff. It's not a matter of not making those colors to be racist, it's because if a paper company stops making that color, they would most likely go out of business. If you want to buy other colors, you can. Nobody is going to tell you you're wrong and racist because of it.
Anyways, has anyone ever considered the possibility of being racist against white people? I mean, if a black guy votes for another black guy, that's fine. So is when he votes for a white guy. But if a white person doesn't vote for a black person, they're automatically racist. (this is referring to the last U.S. presidential election by the way. I was actually called racist because my MOM didn't vote for Obama. I didn't even vote myself, but I was still called a racist.)  
- Extended Discussion & Debate -

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff