Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
Britain and Sex Education Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:21 am
I think we need the input of Miss Dreaming_mouse at this juncture..

wink

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:56 am
Sex education at schools doesn't cover the half of it, at least not when I was taught. This bit goes there and then you get a baby or a disease, use a condom or you'll die of AIDS. that was about it. There was no coverage of moral or ethical issues. Not that it did me any harm, we all find our own way in the end, a bit of "hands on" experience and "on the job" training as it were.  

Rev.Matt

ficklefiend
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:03 pm
We started sex ed at the age of 10,11 or 12. 10 is a little unusual but it sometimes happened like that because our school did 2 classes at once every 2 years. (it was v. small, only 35 people in the whole school you see)

I actually think that our sex education was very good. I would have no complaints at all. What you were told in primary was backed up by more info and advice and more of the emotional side of things by plenty of s**t early 90's videos in PSE (personal social education) In academy I felt I could ask questions because the atmosphere was always light and jokey and that was a good thing!! Biology was for the mechanics of the body, PSE was for the funny bits.

We even got to put condoms onto polystyrene peni (clearly the plural) in 4th year.

However I seem to remember alot of our later years of PSE being taken up with us teasing our teacher about gay sex because it was around the time of the whole clause 28 debate.

She never did give us her views on a**l boy love, bless her.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:42 pm
ficklefiend

We even got to put condoms onto polystyrene peni (clearly the plural) in 4th year.

Hah. I remember doing that as well. Only every fourth p***s was black, just to be really inclusive.
(I think they decided to quietly ignore the fact that one in ten should have some kind of erectile dysfunction, etcetera etcetera...)  

Boolean Julian
Crew

ficklefiend
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:59 am
haha nice. -It's political correctness gone mad!-  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:04 pm
I remember a brief passing outline given in a puberty talk, year five. First actual sex ed. lesson was in year six for me...
We then had a talk every term in year seven, then it went back to roughly once-a-year for eight and seven.
I'm in year ten right now and there's no sign of it except for the brief reproduction module in biology.

PSE covered the emotional[ and funny] side for me too... The videos featured lots of very unattractive, old people saying "Me and my husband/wife enjoy sex very much" every five seconds.... *cringe* ... oh, and the videos of birth, didn't like those.

cronos_kitty

maeve_wickett

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:05 pm
For some reason, whenever someone puts "British" and "sex education" into the same sentence, I always think of Monty Python's The Meaning of Life.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:12 am
maeve_wickett
For some reason, whenever someone puts "British" and "sex education" into the same sentence, I always think of Monty Python's The Meaning of Life.

It's inevitable...

God I watched that for the first time with my dad in the room... eek  

ficklefiend
Crew

Tungska Butterfly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:38 am
Haha, I think Invi is the only person here who is as bad with this stuff as me!

I got sex ed when I was in 2nd Year, so I was about 13 This was the crux of it:
This is a p***s.
This is a v****a.
They should never meet.
Ever.
NVER EVER.
Unless you're married.
Then I guess it's acceptable.

And I went to a PROTESTANT school!

Honestly, I learned more about contraception in 4th year Biology, and more about STD's from Religious Education at 16! Yes, we had an odd RE teacher. But even at that, I knew FACTUAL stuff, as in why condoms stop sperm impregnating women. But I knew nothing practical.

Honestly, theres nothing more embarrassing than losing your virginity at 15, then having your virgin girlfriend, 3 YEARS LATER explain how to fit a condom. She was shocked that I didn't know how. By the way, they were 2 different girlfriends .... I wasn't having unprotected sex for 3 years ... I wasn't having ANY sex for 3 years!  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:26 pm
I must admit, I didn't really pay that much attention... rolleyes I do recall that sex education lessons began in my final year at primary school. I also remember that the woman who taught us sex ed at secondary school was...well...putting it bluntly, she was the teacher everyone hated as a matter of course - our games Mistress, Miss Davis. We had about four lessons in the fourth form, I think...and that was about it.  

illyrianth
Vice Captain

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:10 am
And we've been making up for lost time ever since..

wink

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:31 am
I watched something with Davina Macall presenting today about teenage sex in Britain. It didn't tell me anything about stupid chavs I didn't already know but I have my own theories about the problem of sex (and practically everything else wrong with the yoof of today) and that is that teenagers don't care about the future.

They don't care about anything at all unless it is happening to them at that moment. What they do care about is what other people think of them. Sometimes I want to slap my own sister silly because of how much she worries about what other people think. Arggh!

All the blame gets laden onto school sex ed but what these kids need are some prospects in their future and some ******** self-esteem: schools are the last places to give that to you!  

ficklefiend
Crew

illyrianth
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:33 am
Invictus_88

wink

We have? sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:46 pm
illyrianth
Invictus_88

wink

We have? sweatdrop

ninja Oh. Shall I keep things hushed-up? :ninjaninja:  

Invictus_88
Captain

aisebon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:25 pm
In primary school we labelled anatomy, were told that "it's ok and that our bodies will change eventually( gonk )" and I remember a video with a sperm racing to the egg.

Secondary school was very biological. If I had to sum it up, it would be that my teacher barked important words and showed a video repeatedly. In PSHCE (yes, it's called that now) we just finished it. That was all on STI's, pregnancy and was more emotion-based than I expected. Unfortunately the videos were terrible and for some reason played Garbage at every possible opportunity.

I can safely say that it was high in quantity and low in quality. Although I managed to get the message, playground gossip tells me others didn't. It's great knowing that the person sitting next to you in Geography most likely has chlamydia.  
Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff