Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply PathWays
Asatru a la Deoridhe Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 19 20 21 22 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:51 am
Open for questions... not that there's much to ask about right now.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:00 pm
Just want to say thank you for doing this, Deo. I'm looking forward to seeing more, as I've always been curious about this kind of path and fond of the Nordic gods and mythology.  

TatteredAngel

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:31 am
TatteredAngel
Just want to say thank you for doing this, Deo. I'm looking forward to seeing more, as I've always been curious about this kind of path and fond of the Nordic gods and mythology.

Technically they're Nordic AND Germanic, though there are some differences between the two. xd  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:28 pm
Yeah, I think I knew that vaguely, but my mental drawings of geographic "who came from where" get pretty hopelessly muddled after not long. I blame my class on the Proto-Indo-Europeans. Haha.

Do you happen to know roughly where things sprung off from one another in that regard?  

TatteredAngel

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:11 am
TatteredAngel
Do you happen to know roughly where things sprung off from one another in that regard?

It's very difficult to ay, and what's most likely is exchange of ideas. There are also some similarities with the Sami and the Celts; both the Norse/Germanic and the Sami have Holle/Hella and both they and the Celts have Wild Hunts, as examples. The Norse were seafaring, so they could make it fairly widely, and they didn't always raid and leave - there was trade, too. In fact, it was through the trade routes that the continent put pressure on Iceland to convert to Christianity in the 900s.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:17 pm
I know there's a difference in the way they pronounce some of the runes *scrambles franticaly for his book about runes* Damn...can't find it...and I think I gave myself a concussion...If only I didn't put Agrippa's Books into a hard wooden case. gonk

Anyway, I suppose my question would be: Do most AsatruaR get they're religious morals from Havamal? I noticed that the majority of the book was about how to do things correctly and what not to do.  

Kal Eldritch

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:06 pm
Sovereign of Darkness
Anyway, I suppose my question would be: Do most AsatruaR get they're religious morals from Havamal? I noticed that the majority of the book was about how to do things correctly and what not to do.

I would say a certain amount, but the rest of the stories are important too, as is the cultural context a perosn lives in. For example, historically weirgild was a good way of keeping the body count low; in modern times it really wouldn't be, since humanity is much more dispersed where most Asatruar and faithful to the gods are. Instead, a system of law is in place, and that should be taken into account when making choices.

BlueRoseTorn
I'm looking forward to your post on Wyrd. I think I've finally gotten the concept down, but every now and then I stumble over it in my mind. Perhaps your post will help me a bit with that. sweatdrop

I'm not convinced I am entirely accurate, but I'll certainly give my explanation of it.

BlueRoseTorn
Also, I've heard of the Nine Noble Virtues of Asatru, but I can't really find where they originated (the only thing I can really find is a mention to the Odinic Rite. I think I've lost my Google touch. gonk ). Any information on that?

THe Nine Noble Virtues were invented by modern Asatruar to give a list of relavent morals. I have issues with the fact that it is a list, and with some of the virtues listed. I'll probably get into that when I discuss them.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:53 pm
BlueRoseTorn

Thank you--I was worried that I was the only one who looked at it and was all, "s**t, another list." sweatdrop The whole idea of having a to-do/don't-do list for religions makes me feel like there's always something breathing down my neck, making sure I stay in line. Kind of puts me on edge and all (and I don't need the Gods angry at me for slacking off at work on top of my boss, thanks xd ).
~places a Thor Puppet on her Knee and does her best Thor Impression~ One might look to the Havamal for a code of conduct, in so far as the concepts apply to modern life. Arg arg arg. I will go polish my hammer now. Arg arg arg. There is mead to drink. ~puts the Thor puppet back in it's box and wanders off elsewhere looking all innocent~  

TeaDidikai

bobz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:12 pm
Though it may be simply random musings, every source I've found that has info on the runes/rune poems seems to spell the names of the runes differently.
In your opinion, or in your studies have you noticed this too? I'm sure I'm not alone in this. Also, what would you consider to be the best source for a listing of the rune-spellings (in English)?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:55 pm
BlueRoseTorn
Thank you--I was worried that I was the only one who looked at it and was all, "s**t, another list." sweatdrop The whole idea of having a to-do/don't-do list for religions makes me feel like there's always something breathing down my neck, making sure I stay in line. Kind of puts me on edge and all (and I don't need the Gods angry at me for slacking off at work on top of my boss, thanks xd ).

Heh. Plus, some of them are just inaccurate. Industriusness? b***h, PLEASE. That's a Protestant value, not a Norse or Germanic one.

BlueRoseTorn
I've bookmarked Havamal, but I haven't gotten a chance to read it yet.

Do. It's part list of do and do nots, part lists of names, and part bits of stories long lost.

BlueRoseTorn
Codes of conduct are fine, as it'll give me a bit of time to reflect upon things about myself, which is good. In my readings, I've all ready noticed subtle things about myself I need to work on, in order for me to grow not only as a mature adult, but spiritually, as well (for example: a lot of times I read of Thor in a rage, and I'm reminded of my own anger problems. I'm getting there, but I've got a long way to go. sweatdrop ).

Honestly, I think that's a lot of what the stories of the gods are for. The gods themselves are for grander things, but their stories are to teach us and make us think.

Congrats on the THor's Hammer!

And Tea, I love you. heart  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:58 pm
bobz
Though it may be simply random musings, every source I've found that has info on the runes/rune poems seems to spell the names of the runes differently.
In your opinion, or in your studies have you noticed this too? I'm sure I'm not alone in this. Also, what would you consider to be the best source for a listing of the rune-spellings (in English)?

The problem is, those poems were all in different languages that did use different spellings for the runes. That's one of the core problems with Asatru; it draws from diverse cultures and attempts to synthesize them.

I use the spellings used by Edred Thorsson and Kveldulf Gundarsson - mostly because I read their books first. So, Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raidho, Kenaz, Gebo, etc...

In the main part of the forum I have a rune thread floating around that lists them all. I need to get back to work on that.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:01 pm
Ok, here's a question. Is it possible to be an Asatruar, but have no specific diety you work with? If you remember my earlier thread in the main forum, I have issues in talking with the gods, so maybe im missing something, but I still havent seen any signs or anything. I do feel im in the right place though, just kinda lost sweatdrop  

PhantomPhoenix0

PathWays

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 19 20 21 22 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces