Beloved Lunatic

9,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:40 pm
Stars4Siren
Zephyrkitty
So by your logic, people are influenced by TV and anime to believe that things that happen in fiction are okay in real life.

Following this logic for a second, I love Baccano! and Black Lagoon. I also enjoy several police procedural shows (along with Dexter), and I do play some violent video games. With all of the glorification of violence in my entertainment, it's a wonder I haven't gone out and killed someone yet.

Wait, no it isn't. I am intelligent enough to realize that what's acceptable in fictional stories isn't necessarily what's acceptable in real life. Violence and murder are okay in fiction because no actual people get hurt, but both are terrible in real life. Most people will have a similar opinion about their entertainment, and I'm sure you aren't an exception to this.

You're arguing that yaoi fans don't understand this difference, and equate rape of fictional characters with rape of actual people. I'm not a fan of yaoi, I find rape being presented as romantic in fiction to be absolutely appalling, and I still find this insulting. I've never met a yaoi fan that felt this way, and I'd guess that any fan that did equate fiction and reality has other problems worse than thinking that rape of actual people is okay.

Not all people, though I do understand where you're coming from, since I did type like I thought this way.

What I'm saying is, there are some people that actually do think this way. I have met many fans that have acted this way and many that do not, and I am in no way trying to insult anyone. I apologize for insulting you, and in fact, those yaoi fans you have met are probably as level headed as you are, which is great. Like I said, I read yaoi myself every once in a while.

I believe half/most of the yaoi fan population does not believe that rape is okay, but there are many that do. It's just human nature to bond with those that have similarities with you (or to simply hate them, LOL), which is probably why you've never met anyone like I've mentioned that believe rape is okay.

Once again, I apologize for insulting you. I never meant to insult. But what the OP said is true. Many fans state that rape is a normality in Yaoi (yeah, I'm pretty sure you already know this), and it isn't untrue. It happens often and more often than not, the raped person falls in love with the rapist. And there are people that think this is cute? Yeah. There are.

If you'd like me to take off the last three paragraphs of my post, I will gladly do that. Just give the word, and that also goes to anyone else who believes what I have said insults them.

Thank you for the clarification. I'm disagree with the idea of blaming entertainment for a person's problems, but otherwise I do largely agree with you.

I've read a few BL series, and I will ship a pairing if it's really well-done, but I'm way more into yuri. I seem to enjoy a lot of the series with large yaoi fandoms though, like Ouran, Durarara!!, and Tiger & Bunny. xd

Rape being presented in a cute/romantic light is one of those things that I have a problem with. Manga that include it have a right to exist - freedom of speech and whatnot - but the companies certainly won't be getting any of my money for them.

Lieutenant Katherine
Zephyrkitty
Lieutenant Katherine
I wondered if this was rape because the long haired guy kept telling him to stop, but at the same time, did nothing to prevent him from doing that. I had half a dozen (or so it seemed) fangirls telling me that this was a normality in Yaoi (I only watch whatever she sends me).
But really, what is your opinion on this? Rape or just a normality? All of the other Yaois she has sent me.. Well none of them had this.

If one person doesn't consent, it's rape. Especially since one guy was drugged; you can't consent at that point.

I don't read or watch a lot of yaoi, but I've gathered from friends and bloggers that it's a fairly common trope in the genre. You don't have to like rape plotlines to be a fan of yaoi, but you'll have to do some searching to find series that only have consensual sex.
Or just watch stuff like Hetalia or Tiger & Bunny where the yaoi pairings are all in the fans' heads to begin with. xd

What do you mean by 'cant consent?'

It means that the person's in a position where they can't agree or disagree to whatever's being requested. A drugged person can't consent to most things because they're not in a normal state of mind, and a younger person can't consent to something like sex because they're not emotionally mature enough to understand what's being asked.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:39 am
Zephyrkitty
Stars4Siren

Not all people, though I do understand where you're coming from, since I did type like I thought this way.

What I'm saying is, there are some people that actually do think this way. I have met many fans that have acted this way and many that do not, and I am in no way trying to insult anyone. I apologize for insulting you, and in fact, those yaoi fans you have met are probably as level headed as you are, which is great. Like I said, I read yaoi myself every once in a while.

I believe half/most of the yaoi fan population does not believe that rape is okay, but there are many that do. It's just human nature to bond with those that have similarities with you (or to simply hate them, LOL), which is probably why you've never met anyone like I've mentioned that believe rape is okay.

Once again, I apologize for insulting you. I never meant to insult. But what the OP said is true. Many fans state that rape is a normality in Yaoi (yeah, I'm pretty sure you already know this), and it isn't untrue. It happens often and more often than not, the raped person falls in love with the rapist. And there are people that think this is cute? Yeah. There are.

If you'd like me to take off the last three paragraphs of my post, I will gladly do that. Just give the word, and that also goes to anyone else who believes what I have said insults them.

Thank you for the clarification. I'm disagree with the idea of blaming entertainment for a person's problems, but otherwise I do largely agree with you.

I've read a few BL series, and I will ship a pairing if it's really well-done, but I'm way more into yuri. I seem to enjoy a lot of the series with large yaoi fandoms though, like Ouran, Durarara!!, and Tiger & Bunny. xd

Rape being presented in a cute/romantic light is one of those things that I have a problem with. Manga that include it have a right to exist - freedom of speech and whatnot - but the companies certainly won't be getting any of my money for them.

Thanks for being civil about it. o: I didn't want some full blown fight. xDD

Yeah, I know! I'm not actually a big fan of Yuri myself, teehee, but if it's really well done, I can appreciate it.

Exactly. I do not believe that rape should be taken lightly. How it is romantic, I will never understand.  

sidenar

Handsome Shounen

SailorHoneyMoon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:22 pm
What about the first love scene between Suzanna and Hayma in Moonlight Lady, is that considered rape?  
14. ✿ - - - Anime And Manga

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff