Submit

Asmusei -Faceless Hunter-

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:10 pm
DarkElf27
DarkElf27
DarkElf27
On the other hand, the bases, especially on that first one, look very well done. It does wonders for the look of your army if you have consistent good basing on them.

Any new paints on those to post?
I placed my guy in a clear box to see what it looks like. Thoughts? {X}
I like it. If anything, I'd darken those crevices in the armor a bit more with black ink (or Chaos Black if you have a real steady hand). I'm looking for something you could detail in a contrasty color, but there really isn't much.
I've got the Ink, so I'll definitely do that. I tried to make it look like two Bolt rounds hit the wall, but it doesn't look right to me, and ideas?
Got a photo of those bolter marks?
Sorry, thought I had posted that one. sweatdrop {X}  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:12 pm
DarkElf27
DarkElf27
DarkElf27
On the other hand, the bases, especially on that first one, look very well done. It does wonders for the look of your army if you have consistent good basing on them.

Any new paints on those to post?
I placed my guy in a clear box to see what it looks like. Thoughts? {X}
I like it. If anything, I'd darken those crevices in the armor a bit more with black ink (or Chaos Black if you have a real steady hand). I'm looking for something you could detail in a contrasty color, but there really isn't much.
I've got the Ink, so I'll definitely do that. I tried to make it look like two Bolt rounds hit the wall, but it doesn't look right to me, and ideas?
Well your scorch marks are good, if a little big for bolter shells. The only think you're really missing is a small round hole in the center, painted black inside. What material is that stone slab made from?  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:20 pm
DarkElf27
DarkElf27
DarkElf27
Well your scorch marks are good, if a little big for bolter shells. The only think you're really missing is a small round hole in the center, painted black inside. What material is that stone slab made from?
It's a really, REALLY crappy two-part epoxy, alot like how Greenstuff is, but comes in three tubes and it intended for around-the-house use. I found out that it actually does chip, therefore the broken concrete look. I painted them a bit big because I figured the rounds to be kind of like an M203 or a Mk. 19.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:23 pm
DarkElf27
DarkElf27
DarkElf27
It's a really, REALLY crappy two-part epoxy, alot like how Greenstuff is, but comes in three tubes and it intended for around-the-house use. I found out that it actually does chip, therefore the broken concrete look. I painted them a bit big because I figured the rounds to be kind of like an M203 or a Mk. 19.
Well if you you have a really sharp modeling knife, try and carve a small circular hole about as big around as the muzzle of a bolter (easiest by getting the tip of the blade into the wall and spinning it, best to practice first). Then paint the inside black, and you're set.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:33 pm
DarkElf27
DarkElf27
DarkElf27
Well if you you have a really sharp modeling knife, try and carve a small circular hole about as big around as the muzzle of a bolter (easiest by getting the tip of the blade into the wall and spinning it, best to practice first). Then paint the inside black, and you're set.
Alright, thanks. I've always been told that Bolter rounds explode on impact, thus the blast effect. Should I stick with that?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:42 pm
DarkElf27
DarkElf27
DarkElf27
Alright, thanks. I've always been told that Bolter rounds explode on impact, thus the blast effect. Should I stick with that?
*whips out 3rd edition rulebook* Well, the old-school entry on boltguns describes the following.

"Bolters fire self-propelled armour-piercing mass-reactive explosive missiles called bolts. These detonate a split second after penetrating a target, blasting it apart from within. The force of the explosion can destroy even armoured vehicles."

This would imply that it penetrates the target before it explodes, which would leave hefty gouges in the wall.

The text also describes 6 specific types of bolter ammunitions (Standard, Inferno, Hellfire, Metal Storm Frag, Stalker Silenced, and Kraken Pattern Penetrator), one reason I love the old books' style of fluff. heart  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:51 pm
DarkElf27
DarkElf27
DarkElf27
*whips out 3rd edition rulebook* Well, the old-school entry on boltguns describes the following.

"Bolters fire self-propelled armour-piercing mass-reactive explosive missiles called bolts. These detonate a split second after penetrating a target, blasting it apart from within. The force of the explosion can destroy even armoured vehicles."

This would imply that it penetrates the target before it explodes, which would leave hefty gouges in the wall.

The text also describes 6 specific types of bolter ammunitions (Standard, Inferno, Hellfire, Metal Storm Frag, Stalker Silenced, and Kraken Pattern Penetrator), one reason I love the old books' style of fluff. heart
Yeah, Daemons also had a chance back then. I would have started a Daemon army if they didn't suck, so Tau it is.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:05 pm
More talking about the style of entering lore into the books, where they'd just take a random page here and there and go over the nitty gritty of some piece of equipment, or report, or event, etc.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Van Evok

Dangerous Hunter

8,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:59 am
btw, re; bolter shells, how about real life bolter entering service with US army? :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2LZMuPEubk
firepower, always firepower... pirate  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:42 am
Van Evok
btw, re; bolter shells, how about real life bolter entering service with US army? :
It's about the right size too, just surprised that they're showing the insides of an experimental weapon like that! Sheesh, at least I won't have to fix that thing...  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:56 am
Van Evok
It's about the right size too, just surprised that they're showing the insides of an experimental weapon like that! Sheesh, at least I won't have to fix that thing...
That's been in use for a while...  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:21 pm
Bolters fire .75 shells which is something along the lines of 20mm rounds. ninja  

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:33 pm
Lady Blodwynn
Bolters fire .75 shells which is something along the lines of 20mm rounds. ninja
Yeah, I've seen .50s go off and bolters are half-again that. For what they're supposed to be, the game really under-strengths them...  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:07 am
DarkElf27
Lady Blodwynn
Yeah, I've seen .50s go off and bolters are half-again that. For what they're supposed to be, the game really under-strengths them...
You will come to fear a bolter when you play one of the RPG games where it counts as an explosive weapon with the tearing quality.

Use a bolter in Dark Heresy and it is powerful. Then again, even a lasgun is a weapon to be careful with. Example: unknown pattern boltgun 1d10+5 X

Use one in Rogue Trader it gets scary. Example: Locke pattern boltgun 1d10+5 X, Tearing

Use one in Deathwatch.. twisted Example: Godwynn pattern bolter 2d10+5 X, Tearing

I love how they classify bolt weapons as either "regular" or "Astartes" when it comes to how much damage they can do. whee  

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:04 am
DarkElf27
Van Evok
That's been in use for a while...
Well, I'm a 91Foxtrot in the Army and I haven't seen, never-mind been trained, on one of these things, so it's pretty new to me.

By the way, I took your advise into account and tried tweaking it. What do you think?
User Image  
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces