Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Has the Term "Wicca" Evolved? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Did the Term "Wicca" Evolve?
  Yes!!
  No Freaking Way!
View Results

Luna Black Wolf

5,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:31 pm
To ya'll who are asking what my first book was...I am just realizing (like no kidding, I'm trying to think of the name of the book that first got me interested) but the more I think about it, the more I have this gut feeling that at first the name just kinda appeared in my head or I dreamed of it. Then I got Scott Cunningham's book "Wicca" because of the book reviews on it, and how some people said it was really well written with good information, and I fell in love with the religion from then on...I know from the intro that he uses the term interchangeablly and from website reviews I read later that he is more Neo than anything, but he did say that he was apart of a real Wiccan Coven...so ya.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:45 pm
i...don't much care for Cunningham. i once picked up one of his books on herbalism, realized it was garbage and had no practical information and decided he wasn't worth reading. my own personal experience and opinion, mind you. not sure where the others in the guild stand on him.  

Satyr Prince

Tipsy Reveler

6,950 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conversationalist 100

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:05 pm
Despite the word "Wicca" being used in the title (and throughout the books themselves) Cunningham's books are about the Witchcraft tradition that he started called the "Standing Stones" tradition. The information in the books is not bad, it's just not Wicca. Though as Strega Mama said, when it comes to the herbalism and some of the correspondence tables that he mentions, you will definitely want to cross-reference as some of them are not quite accurate.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:40 am
Luna Black Wolf
To ya'll who are asking what my first book was...I am just realizing (like no kidding, I'm trying to think of the name of the book that first got me interested) but the more I think about it, the more I have this gut feeling that at first the name just kinda appeared in my head or I dreamed of it. Then I got Scott Cunningham's book "Wicca" because of the book reviews on it, and how some people said it was really well written with good information, and I fell in love with the religion from then on...I know from the intro that he uses the term interchangeablly and from website reviews I read later that he is more Neo than anything, but he did say that he was apart of a real Wiccan Coven...so ya.

Do you think you'll rededicate to Standing Stone? Or do you plan to keep seeking Wicca?
Strega Mama

i must have mis-worded myself, i've encountered folks that assume kitchen magic is somehow the same thing, not that the two are exclusive of each other.

Sorry. sweatdrop
When I read it it looked like you said you can't be a Wiccan and practice kitchen magic. redface  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Satyr Prince

Tipsy Reveler

6,950 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:02 am
Esiris

Sorry. sweatdrop
When I read it it looked like you said you can't be a Wiccan and practice kitchen magic. redface

oh, no, i apologize, i worded it badly and can understand how you would have thought thats what i was saying.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:42 pm
Esiris
Luna Black Wolf

Do you think you'll rededicate to Standing Stone? Or do you plan to keep seeking Wicca?

I dunno, I'm still trying to seek out wicca, but I'm kinda just accepting the fact that i'll most likely just have to remain a solitaire until I'm an adult (people who are asking, i'm 17, sooo ya).  

Luna Black Wolf

5,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:57 pm
Luna Black Wolf

I dunno, I'm still trying to seek out wicca, but I'm kinda just accepting the fact that i'll most likely just have to remain a solitaire until I'm an adult (people who are asking, i'm 17, sooo ya).

Maybe even longer. 3nodding
But a Priestess of Wicca never stops learning- so don't feel like you have to rush.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:21 pm
Esiris
Luna Black Wolf

Maybe even longer. 3nodding
But a Priestess of Wicca never stops learning- so don't feel like you have to rush.

Thanks  

Luna Black Wolf

5,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:26 pm
Luna Black Wolf

Thanks

NP. Hey- have to joined Amber and Jet yet?  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:28 pm
Esiris
Luna Black Wolf

Thanks

Quite frankly...that thing confused the hell out of me...  

Luna Black Wolf

5,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:39 pm
Luna Black Wolf

The group confused you or my post? sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:38 am
Luna Black Wolf
Esiris
Luna Black Wolf

Thanks

Don't worry Yahoo groups in general confuse me.  

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

Luna Black Wolf

5,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:29 pm
Esiris
Luna Black Wolf

the group and how to join...blah blah blah...I've heard they're really good and informative...but the group thing confuses me altogether...  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:45 pm
Luna Black Wolf
Esiris
Luna Black Wolf

the group and how to join...blah blah blah...I've heard they're really good and informative...but the group thing confuses me altogether...

You can always lurk- reading the older posts can be helpful.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

washu_2004

Shameless Heckler

12,225 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:53 am
I did a trademark search on the word "Wicca" in the UK & US trademark registries as well as searching for all trade marks held by "Gerald Brousseau Gardner" and I came up with a complete blank.

He did not file any legal claim on this word (or any words) so it is now public domain since the person who coined the term is now dead and can not file a claim and then bequeath them to an organization, and the term has not been claimed by his group since time immemorial according to UK law (before 6 July 1189) so they can not claim an exemption by this method.

So legally nobody owns the word "wicca" or has exclusive rights to its use.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff