Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
Just a question... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Paul Diggles

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:21 am
Sabredog
Korean, USAican or Finnish would be cool.

gonk

Anyway... If I couldn't be of British decent, I guess I'd choose Dutch. At least I'd have a good chance of being an American, even if I was a New Yorker.

I'd much rather keep my British Blood.

Paul I  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:07 am
Knightsedge
Methinks i'd be Scottish. biggrin

...but Scottish people are of British decent. xp  

Khorkalba

illyrianth
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:43 am
Longbow UK
Knightsedge

I know several Scots who would argue the point with you on that one wink  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:50 am
illyrianth
Longbow UK
Knightsedge

Well they can moan about "independence" as much as they like, but at the end of the day Scotland is a part of Britain.  

Khorkalba

illyrianth
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:10 pm
Longbow UK
illyrianth
Longbow UK
Knightsedge

Well they can moan about "independence" as much as they like, but at the end of the day Scotland is a part of Britain.

My father took one look at that....and fell about laughing. I think you made his day! xd  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:52 pm
Britain: England, Wales and Scotland.
UK: England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland

Scotland is a part of Britain, but not a part of England (obviously)  

Zoutout

illyrianth
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:20 pm
Zoutout

What it's a part of geographically has absolutely no bearing on how certain Scots SEE the situation....~shrug~  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:32 pm
illyrianth
Zoutout

What it's a part of geographically has absolutely no bearing on how certain Scots SEE the situation....~shrug~

What do they see themselves as then? ...I could sit here all day saying "I'm not British!" but if you're born on this island, then you are. There are no two ways about it. You can't just disown your nationality and pretend to be something else. Do they think they're still in the bloody 13th century or something? lol  

Khorkalba

illyrianth
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:33 am
Longbow UK
illyrianth
Zoutout

What do they see themselves as then? ...I could sit here all day saying "I'm not British!" but if you're born on this island, then you are. There are no two ways about it. You can't just disown your nationality and pretend to be something else. Do they think they're still in the bloody 13th century or something? lol

No.

In the same way that a LOT of people in Northern Ireland will say they are Irish as opposed to British. It's a personal thing and to be honest, I can see where they're coming from. The Scots are largely not descendants of the Britons, and therefore have no reason to refer to themselves at British if they choose not to.

Mind you, this is a bastardised nation anyway since we've been invaded that many times...heh  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:27 am
illyrianth
Longbow UK
illyrianth
Zoutout

No.

In the same way that a LOT of people in Northern Ireland will say they are Irish as opposed to British. It's a personal thing and to be honest, I can see where they're coming from. The Scots are largely not descendants of the Britons, and therefore have no reason to refer to themselves at British if they choose not to.

Mind you, this is a bastardised nation anyway since we've been invaded that many times...heh

Exactly (@ that last point.) I highly doubt there are many people on this island at all who are decendants of the native Britons. Most will be Norse, I imagine.

Also, Ireland is a bit different. It's a seperate island. England, Scotland and Wales however are one. There are no natural boundaries.

Khorkalba

illyrianth
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:25 pm
Longbow UK
illyrianth
Longbow UK
illyrianth
Zoutout

No.

Exactly (@ that last point.) I highly doubt there are many people on this island at all who are decendants of the native Britons. Most will be Norse, I imagine.

Also, Ireland is a bit different. It's a seperate island. England, Scotland and Wales however are one. There are no natural boundaries.

But that would be akin to stating the French, Spanish and Germans are one and the same...which I don't think they'd agree with... XD  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:40 pm
illyrianth

But that would be akin to stating the French, Spanish and Germans are one and the same...which I don't think they'd agree with... XD

I see where you're coming from, but that's a bit different. They're huge. sweatdrop Britain is a tiny island in comparison. You don't have to travel that far to go from England to Wales, or from Scotland to England.  

Khorkalba

illyrianth
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:46 pm
Longbow UK
illyrianth

I see where you're coming from, but that's a bit different. They're huge. sweatdrop Britain is a tiny island in comparison. You don't have to travel that far to go from England to Wales, or from Scotland to England.

Buuuuuuuuut...Luxembourg is tiny too....and it's a country in its own right wink  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:48 pm
Invictus_88
"Nривет comrade! My name iz Invski. *swigs vodka* I like this country, you Blitish veemen are very pretty. I take all of them! All of them! *attempts to carry off a random old woman*"

Isn't it Invkov? "-ski" is Polish, or so I have heard (many Chelsea fans complain about the "Chelski" moniker, saying that it is wrong).

I would not mind having more Italian blood.  

A Lost Iguana

Aged Pants

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

illyrianth
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:52 pm
A Lost Iguana
Invictus_88
"Nривет comrade! My name iz Invski. *swigs vodka* I like this country, you Blitish veemen are very pretty. I take all of them! All of them! *attempts to carry off a random old woman*"

Isn't it Invkov? "-ski" is Polish, or so I have heard (many Chelsea fans complain about the "Chelski" moniker, saying that it is wrong).

I would not mind having more Italian blood.

You know, I think you may well be right....Ivanova would be "daughter or Ivan", Ivanov would be "son of"....yeah, makes sense.....  
Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff