Welcome to Gaia! ::

Harry Potter Slash Guild

Back to Guilds

HPSG is a guild for the discussion and pure love of all things Harry Potter and slash! Join us in support of your favorite pairing! 

Tags: Harry Potter, slash, Potter, femslash, Harry 

Reply Off Topic Discussion
Something All Slash Fans Should Know Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Vegyangel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:52 am
I'm not done reading this yet... I'm reading it in quarters.
Even though I'm bi, I never really have to worry about gay rights for myself, as I've been in a serious long term relationship with the same guy for years, and don't see it ending... ever...

But so far, it all touches me. A bunch of my friends are gay or bi. And one of my favorite teachers is gay, and every time I read or hear something that is like "Gays shouldn't teach." it really infuriates me. It's the stupid stereotypes that gays are child molestors, which they aren't.

But I haven't paid attention to politics really for the past few years (since Bush was reelected), since I saw there wasn't much that could change him or his fiendish ways. It's like, I'll just have to wait it out for another few years.... But then, that doesn't work for some people. A lot of people don't have a few more years to wait. Or they have been waiting all of their life and are tired of it.

It's like, I remember people going "Oh, how they are treating gay marriages now is exactly the same as how they treated interracial marriages before." It is and it isn't. It's definitly going to much much harder to get gay marriages than it was to get interracial.

America is generally making me angry. We need to change a lot of our policies. Our heathcare is dying, social security too. And not many other countries (thriving countries...) have the death penalty anymore. I do try to love my country, because we do have it a lot better than other countires (especially since my mom came from a third world country). But, we do need to treat people like people, and that's our main problem.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:51 pm
Grr~Evil~Chickadee
what does being christian have to do with it?
It's the bloody catholics that won't allow anything, and the other churches follow in suite.

The church might not allow it, or approve of it, but not all Catholics are the stereotypical homophobic psychos that you tend to see. I'm Catholic and I certainly don't act that way, and neither do my friends.  

keya

pudoupan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:31 pm
Thankyou for posting this up. It certainly is insightful. However I agree with Zaurak... I'm very skeptical about some of the stuff this man is saying. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't agree with him, it's just that some statements such as those when he is saying that gay people are better then straight people and some of the allegations (such as Lincoln is gay) are quite disturbing. The speech has moved on fromt he usual gay pride to darker depths of the other side of the spectrum that is saying that homosexuality is some sort of elite-ism. Sure, I agree that GLBTQ community should have their rights but wasn't the whole point of it to get our freedom? Then logically isn't it wrong to say, "we are better than you so we deserve our rights". (feel free to disagree with me.... after all I didn't actually finish reading the speech sweatdrop so if I'm wrong point it out)

On to another point:

Remus J. Lupin-Black
Bohun, it's not a choice. You're born gay or bi or transgender...well actually crossdressing to an extent is really a choice, but the other types of transgenders don't have a choice. You're born this way. I mean really...if it's a choice, I wouldn't have chosen to be hated by more than half of the country. The only thing I can chose is to accept myself for who I am.
^_^

I don't believe that your sexuality is entirely born into you, that it's in your genes. I believe that it is somewhat built by your environment. Let's use myself as an example. I grew up in a very shelterd environment. When I was young I was very very attached to one of my best friends. At that time, I had thought that this kind of obsession was a somewhat platonic love. Now if I wan't exposed to the GLBTQ way of life, I would have continued in believing that it was a platonic love.It was because I was introduced to this way of life that I realised, I was Bi. And the main thing is, I still had a choice, I could have just lived my life being straight but I didn't.

Ok... maybe that didn't make sense.... but I still think that your sexuality is not in your blood.... that it's influenced very strongly by your environment.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:09 pm
pudoupan
On to another point:

Remus J. Lupin-Black
Bohun, it's not a choice. You're born gay or bi or transgender...well actually crossdressing to an extent is really a choice, but the other types of transgenders don't have a choice. You're born this way. I mean really...if it's a choice, I wouldn't have chosen to be hated by more than half of the country. The only thing I can chose is to accept myself for who I am.
^_^

I don't believe that your sexuality is entirely born into you, that it's in your genes. I believe that it is somewhat built by your environment. Let's use myself as an example. I grew up in a very shelterd environment. When I was young I was very very attached to one of my best friends. At that time, I had thought that this kind of obsession was a somewhat platonic love. Now if I wan't exposed to the GLBTQ way of life, I would have continued in believing that it was a platonic love.It was because I was introduced to this way of life that I realised, I was Bi. And the main thing is, I still had a choice, I could have just lived my life being straight but I didn't.

Ok... maybe that didn't make sense.... but I still think that your sexuality is not in your blood.... that it's influenced very strongly by your environment.

I have to disagree with you on this.

I've had that same "obsession mistaked for platonic love" as you had. But you see, you called it an obsession. I know what that feels like, and I kept telling myself "it's just because we're close, it's just because we're close" but can you honestly say you've had that kind of love for any one else? Different or same gender? Would you have that feeling if you weren't bisexual?

Yes, a lot of being gay or straight or transexual or transgendered or bisexual is choice. You can choose whether or not you want to be seen that way, you can choose whether or not you want to act upon you feelings, you can choose whether you're going to go down the path your body heart and mind are telling you to go down or the path society and your parents want you to go down.

But you can not pick and chose who you find hot, or who you develop a sudden obsession with, or who you fall in love with. You can deny having those feelings even to yourself, but you can't control those feelings.  

Sirius Black-Snuffles
Captain

7,650 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Voter 100
  • Wall Street 200

Ariazella Malin

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:49 pm
Thank you for posting this. I'm bi and I will admit I haven't had submitance to much discrimination. But I hear about it every day I really think people have to take such matters into consideration.  
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:16 pm
Remus J. Lupin-Black
^_^

By the way, Moony, I will just say I triple-heart you for adding transgenders.

It's the sad truth that most people say lesbian, bi or gay and forget about us TransGs...

Anyway, I had something to say to this. You see, I agree - we're born this way. Enviroment had nothing to do with it. I found myself liking people of the same sex all my life, even if I didn't know what a lesbian was before my sophmore year of high school. (Yeah, I was really sheltered, even though my aunt's a lesbian - I just didn't know that it had a name)

Because of the way it was, I thought it was wrong. Because no one had said that others felt like that, I thought it was wrong. I was in denial until my senior year of high school, when I finally airbombed my closet. I realized so many facts about myself in content to sexuality and transgness. I was made this way - and if people can't accept that, then why should I accept people. Love's love, dammit. I never have seen it any different, even when I was younger and thought heterosexuality was the only thing in the world. I don't hate my 'rents for keeping it from me. Hell, I'm kind of glad they did - I wouldn't be who I was if it wasn't for them. And I probably would have reacted a lot differently if I had known beforehand and frankly, I don't mind it. I am me because of what I've gone through and my own personal paths - but ultimately, I was born this way.

And while I have half the ******** country against me, and a lot more enemies then I care to have, I don't mind. In fact, as long as I have friends standing beside me - they can lynch me and I wouldn't care, because I know that in the end, people will cry for me. And besides, death is only the next great adventure, in the words of Capt James Hook, so I don't fear it. I'll keep on being the loud, flamboyant, lesbian transvestite that I am - and there's nothing anyone can do to stop me.  

Decadent Delirium

Heroic Entrepreneur

Sirius Black-Snuffles
Captain

7,650 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Voter 100
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:24 pm
*grabs Cade and hugs tightly* I'd cry for you.  
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:25 pm
*joins in the hugging*
So would I.

Ex-Professor Remus Lupin

Decadent Delirium

Heroic Entrepreneur

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:23 am
*sniffles* I feel so loved crying <-- tears of happiness  
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 2:03 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  

Deliciae

Ex-Professor Remus Lupin

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 2:55 pm
Deliciae, I love you. That's pretty much what I've been trying to say, but I'm not very good at explaining things. Thank you.
^_^

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:37 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  

Deliciae

Silver and Silence

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:16 pm
I don't understand why Christians drag the bible into this arguement. Say that the bible says that being gay is "wrong". According to their doctrine, we are to accept and love all people.

LOVE THY NEIGHBOR.

That was one of Jesus' main teachings; to respect and honor all people, no matter what they choose to do with their lives. To say that to be moral is to be against another's beliefs, beliefs that are centered around love for others and do nothing to harm anyone, is wrong.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:34 am
*sigh* I are agree with just about everything posted here so I'm going to avoid realy posting much. Most of my friends are indeed either bi or lesbian. ((except junjun-kun who is mostly strait but could fall in love with a girl at any time is how she puts it)). But yeah there is realy nothing bush could do about it bla bla bla it just doesn't make sence. stare  

vesta_vesves_star

Off Topic Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces