Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Recipes & Cooking Tips
Recipes! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

La Violetta

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:20 am
Oooooooh.
I have some le awesome recipes in another guild.
I'll go fish them out.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:23 am
Garden Vegetable Pasta Salad, serves 4.

Lactovegetarian Ingredients:
2 cups cauliflower florets, slightly steamed and cooled
2 cups broccoli florets, slightly steamed and cooled
10 cherry tomatoes (or more if you want)
1/2 medium green bell pepper, sliced
8 oz. fettucine or linguine, cooked and cooled to room temperature
Basil Vinaigrette (recipe in next post)
2 oz. feta cheese, crumbled (unless you're a vegan, but it's really good)

Place pasta in a large bowl, put vegetables on top. Pour Basil Vinaigrette over. Toss. Sprinkle feta on top.

La Violetta

La Violetta

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:24 am
Basil Vinaigrette (for Garden Vegetable Pasta Salad, above), makes about 1/3 cup.

Vegan Ingredients:
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil leaves, or 2 teaspoons dried basil (but I recommend it fresh)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Mix all ingredients. Refrigerate until serving time. Stir before using.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:26 am
Crepes, makes about 8.

Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian Ingredients:
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup milk (Vegans can use whatever replacement you find works in cooking)
1 egg (or equivalent in egg replacer)
2 egg whites (or equivalent in egg replacer)
1 tablespoon melted margarine, or canola oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
Vegetable cooking spray

Combine all ingredients but cooking spray in a small bowl and beat until smooth. Spray an 8-inch crepe pan or small skillet and heat over medium heat until hot. Pour 1/4 cup of batter into pan and tilt pan to coat evenly with batter. Cook over medium heat until browned on bottom- about 2-3 minutes. Turn crepe and cook until browned on other side- about 2-3 minutes. Repeat until no batter remains.

La Violetta

La Violetta

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:28 am
Mock Hollandaise Sauce, makes about 1 and 1/2 cups.

6 ounces cream cheese
1/3 cup sour cream
3-4 tablespoons milk
1-2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2-1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
I have no idea if you can find vegan replacements for the dairy ingredients. But feel free to try, and good luck.

Heat all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium-low to low heat until melted and smooth. Stir constantly. Serve immediately.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:30 am
Vegetable Crepes, makes 4 servings of 2 crepes each.
(Sorry about the uncertainty, folks. Up till now, I've been following my cookbook, but when I made this one I changed the recipe around a lot and can't remember the amounts of veggies I used. I'll get back to you, though.)

Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian Ingredients:
Vegetable cooking spray
(will get back to you on amount of) broccoli florets
(will get back to you on amount of) black olives
(will get back to you on amount of) tomatoes, sliced into about 1-inch pieces
2-3 teaspoons sugar
2 tablespoons water
2-3 teaspoons lemon juice
Salt and pepper, to taste
8 Crepes (see two posts up), warm
Mock Hollandaise Sauce (see one post up)
The dairy and eggs all come from the Crepes and the Mock Hollandaise Sauce, which are in separate posts. See those posts for vegan replacements.

Spray large skillet with cooking spray. Heat over medium heat until hot. Add vegetables, sugar, and water. Cook, covered, for about 5 minutes. Cook, uncovered, until vegetables are tender, about 5 more minutes. Season to taste with lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Spoon vegetable mixture along centers of crepes. Roll up. Arrange, seam side down, on serving plates. Serve with Mock Hollandaise Sauce.

La Violetta

La Violetta

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:32 am
Fruited Couscous with Smoked Tofu, serves 6.

1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
1 1/4 cups Canned Vegetable Stock (recipe follows), or canned reduced-sodium vegetable broth
1 package (10 ounces) couscous
Mesquite Smoked Tofu, cubed (recipe follows), or 1-2 packages store-bought baked or smoked tofu, cubed
1 can (11 ounces) mandarin orange segments, drained
Salt and pepper, to taste
6 tablespoons (1 1/2 ounces) crumbled feta cheese (You can leave this out if you don't eat dairy, I find that it's good either way.)

Saute onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic in oil in medium saucepan until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in curry powder. Cook 1-2 minutes longer, stirring constantly. Add stock to saucepan and heat to boiling. Stir in couscous (if it comes with a sauce packet, don't bother with the packet). Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Stir in tofu and orange segments. Cook over medium heat until hot, 3-4 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper if you want. Serve meal and sprinkle crumbled feta on top if desired.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:34 am
Canned Vegetable Stock, makes about 1 1/2 quarts.

Vegan Ingredients:
2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
2 medium leeks, cleaned, coarsely chopped
2 large carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 large ribs celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
4 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium vegetable broth
2 cups water
1 cup dry white wine, or water
2 medium tomatoes, quartered
4 sprigs parsley
2 bay leaves
Pepper, to taste

Saute onions, leeks, carrots, celery, and garlic in oil in Dutch oven for 5 minutes. (I've never made this... I have no clue what a Dutch oven is. I'm assuming you could just use a saucepan. Or just use store-bought broth.) Add broth and remaining ingredients (except pepper) and heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Strain, pressing lightly on vegetables to extract all juices. Discard solids (or use them for something else.) Season with pepper to taste, if you want. Cool; refrigerate or freeze.

La Violetta

La Violetta

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:35 am
Mesquite Smoked Tofu, makes 4 servings.

Vegan Ingredients:
Vegetable cooking spray
2 packages (10 1/2 ounces each) light firm tofu, sliced lengthwise into halves

Spray smoker rack generously with cooking spray before placing on grill. place tofu on rack over medium-hot coals with mesquite chips. Smoke, covered, for 20-30 minutes. For a more intensely smoky flavor, smoke for longer.
(I don't really know about smoking things... anyone who does might want to post some tips. I recommend store-bought tofu for the couscous recipe- I used Wildwood Garlic Teriyaki Smoked Tofu and it was really good.)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:51 am
i love having cous cous with fried red/yellow/orange peppers with a pitta bread. :3

takes soooo short a time to make.

and damn you all with your cup measurements! what happened to good old grams and fluid ounces? gonk xd

Retro_girl

ANGORAPHOBIA

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:33 am
Because my family is freaky-big on the animal flesh-based BBQs, I end up sitting around in the summer with lots of meat being passed around and very little for me. Then I found this awesome lentil patty recipe and yayness! There's a lot of commentary, but that's 'cause I lost the original recipe and I do it by feel now.

Lentil Patties
A few cups of dried lentils (or cooked if you can get them ? but NEVER canned)
1 egg or egg substitute (makes about 6 patties)
bread crumbs (I prefer to use seasoned)
wheat germ
seasonings (whatever combination you like. I encourage experimentation! whee )

Rinse and cook the lentils as you normally would; use a blender or food processor to mash them up into a uniform paste. It should not look appetizing. Add and blend in egg and seasonings. Put mix in an appropriately-sized bowl and use a wooden spoon to mix in the wheat germ and bread crumbs, adding more until the mixture is thick and moldable. Then (duh) mold it into patties, however many and whatever size you want. (This can work for meatlessballs, too) The original recipe says to fry them, but that's messy and gross. I broil them in the oven on a pan covered in lightly greased (think light cooking spray) aluminum foil. If they fall apart when you're molding them, sometimes it helps to coat them in bread crumbs or wheat germ. If they fall apart completely, mash them up and eat them over rice with soy sauce and General Tso's dipping sauce. Good stuff!  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:51 pm
Bagels! :3

2 packages of yeast
4 1/4 cups of unbleached flour
1 1/2 cups warm water (115 to 120 degrees F)
3 tablespoon of sugar
1 tablespoon of salt
1/2 tablespoon of cinnamon (optional)
1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
1/2 cup of raisins (optional)
Combine the yeast and 1 cup of the flour. In a seperate bowl, combine water, 3 T of vegan sugar and salt. Add to flour mixture. Stir in raisins, 1 T of sugar, and cinnamon, if using. Beat with electric mixer or stir vigourously until no lumps remain and the mixture is sort of splashy. Add the raisins and remaining flour. Mix until dough is tough. Turn out on floured surface and knead for 6-8 minutes. Cover and let rise for ten to fifteen minutes.

Oil or spray a large cookie sheet. Divide the dough into 12 to 24 portions, rolling each into a ball and pulling a hole through in the middle with your fingers. Place the bagels on the cookie sheet, cover and let rise in a warm place for at least 20 minutes and no more than 2 hours (or youll have dough coming out of your ears).

Meanwhile, put one gallon of water and one tablespoon of vegan sugar in a large pot to boil; reduce to simmering. Cook bagels, 4 or 5 at a time for 4 to 7 minutes (depending on the toughness of the skin you prefer - the longer they boil, the tougher they get), turning once. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake the bagels for 31 minutes, or until golden brown.

These are great. I suggest only boiling them for about a minute so the shell isn't too hard. ^^ Use a paper lunch sac to store these, keep them in the fridge for best storage. :3  

Cynnith

2,400 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250

ANGORAPHOBIA

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:22 pm
Ooh, another not-quite-veg*n recipe: Roasted peppers (I like red best) peeled, sliced, and put on toast with some Italian dressing and mozerella cheese on top, under the broiler for about a minute. SOOO yummy! (And a lot more interesting than another PB&J)  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:39 pm
Astrox
In honour of this new guild, I bring forth the Recipes post!

Vegan Banana Muffin Recipe

Wholewheat flour 1 Cup
Soy Flour 3/4 Cup
Baking Powder 1 Teaspoon
Vegan Brown Sugar 1 cup
Salt 1/4 teaspoon
Vanilla Soymilk 3/4 cup
Canola/Soy/Grapeseed Oil 3 tablespoons
Egg Replacer (the equalivalent of 2 eggs)
Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon
Bananas 2 (the browner the better!)

OPTIONAL Garnish:
-1 more banana, sliced
-Oats
-Brown Sugar

1. Crank up your oven to 400 F.
2. Grease up your muffin pan.
3. Mix all your dry ingriedents together in a large bowl (Wholewheat flour, Soy flour, Baking powder, Brown Sugar, Salt)
4. In a separate bowl, mix your wet ingredents together (Soy milk, Fake eggs, Oil, Vanilla).
5. Do the mash! The bananna mash! (In a separate bowl or food processor)
6. Dump the banana into the Wet bowl, and mix.
7. Fold the Wet mix into the dry mix and mix until everything is just mixed. Over mixing will result in hockey puck like muffins.
8. Pour or scoop the batter into the greased pan.
9. OPTIONAL: Apply Garnishes (whichever ones you want).
10. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.

I just found this guild today and I made the banana muffins just now since I had all the ingredients... inluding 2 super over-ripe brown bananas.. LOL

BUT they are very delicious and I am enjoying them very much. heart
Though they cooked in only about 17 mins.. xd
Excellent excellent yummy recipe 4laugh

Mivaelianyn

[.The Emo Moo.]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:00 pm
Oh I wish i had some to share but i dont at the moment. But these sound so good! I cant wait to try them!
Yay! n_n

Recipes & Cooking Tips

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces