Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
High school or Secondary school/6th form Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Behatzlacha-S

8,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:46 am
Nakurai
Behatzlacha-S
Wyt ti'n meddlw Cymraeg yn hawdd, Nakurai?? It's not as simple as you'd think.

----------------------------

Sixth form is not compulsory, no. However, the majority of people will do sixth form or at least go to a college to receive some form of diploma.

A Levels are not the only option in Britain.

Personally, I chose the International Baccalaureate, or IB, which is offered worldwide but it's gaining some ground in British schools. It's taught in a variety of languages, but Welsh, Scottish and Irish are not offered, so in those countries it's an English curriculum.

6 subjects are taken, one in each field (Maths, First Language, Second Language, Core Science, Humanity and Art/Additional Science). Each one is out of 7, to give a maximum possible of 42. Three bonus points are offered for an extended essay and a short philosophy course (Theory of Knowledge). 150 hours of community service, sports or controlled exercise and creative activity are also compulsory to obtaining the IB.

Last year, 70 people worldwide managed to get 45 points. stare

Yh I heard about IB, allot of people do it but more commonly people do A-levels. So it works on a point score? But UCAS works on a similar level were each grade is rewarded a set number or UCAS points and when u apply for Uni there is a minimum requirement or points.
I had the option to do IB but I was highly unadvised as only the academy schools do it and wasn't looked on as highly as A-levels.
And btw only 1% of the entire A-level population get 100%, they manipulated the percentages based on the entire population.

Universities are not allowed to show bias against IB, Scottish Highers or indeed any others. On an individual level, it might not be as trusted because it's unfamiliar but it's never going to disadvantage you at university.

And it is available in state schools, but a very limited number of them, and also in many sixth form colleges up and down the country.

I have to say the main disadvantage of IB is the amount of work you're doing: on average I have to say I spent 3 times as much time working as a student doing 3 A Levels. However, it prepares you well for university, so there's a nice plus.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:52 am
I made a very important decision when it came to choosing College or 6th form. On one hand, College was just down the road, that's a lie, I live in an apartment on the West End and College is all the way across London. Hence the reason why I chose 6th form which was just down the road, there was no way that I'd travel for three hours on a bus which stank of smoke.

Back to the topic though, I think it would be best for you to at least get a few GCSE's and then try and earn the rest during further education, if you don't get at least one GCSE in Secondary School, it'll be rather hard for you to get a job ect.

The Cunning Corsair

Unbeatable Gekko

9,825 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200

g0th_chick_uk

Wealthy Lover

10,650 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Super Converter 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:02 am
to the first post, i know how hard A levels can seem - GCSE's seem alright then A levels are landed on you and your like, woah. i thought that at uni myself. you just gotta knuckle down. i have no idea whats going on with the irish education system. so i wont try and understand that. im too old for the worry anyhow cool  
Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff