Welcome to Gaia! ::

~*The Official Post Your Progress Guild*~ Writers Support!

Back to Guilds

We support fellow writers by tracking and displaying word and page counts. 

Tags: Writing, Write, Poetry, Novels, Stories 

Reply Plot/Character/Genre Discussion
A Side of Main Character, Please! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nightmare1

Hallowed Phantom

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:08 pm
I did say, "most." I am very fond of all of the Toy Story movies and some sequels, Aladdin being on that list. Other sequels I do not mind: The Lion King (both of them), Pocahontas II, The Little Mermaid III (it was actually very touching and went nicely in-depth on Ariel's past) and The Rescuers Down Under.

To be fair, I enjoyed Cinderella III. A princess has to actually work for her happy ending? And almost loses her prince three times because her plans fail? One of the stepsisters gets better based on the original tale (one was actually kinder to Cinderella)? Lady Tremaine FINALLY gets some sense of justice for her treatment of Cinderella after sixty or so years? And the prince grows from a two-dimensional character to pretty much a badass? Worth it!

The rest, however, need to die.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:22 pm
Haha, I know what I'm responding to was posted weeks ago, but it was so interesting I felt the need to throw my two cents in.

General- I read too much during grade school- and yes, there is such thing, because I missed out on alot of awesome school actvities like sports, drama, and even friends. Now its my senior year, and I'm trying to cram all the stuff I never did into one year. Its not working.

I don't think much about my trilogy ending, cause I'm an artist too and I will forever draw pictures (and probably comics) of my characters. The end isn't really the end (I hate it when old wise guys say things like that in movies).

As far as POV's go, I plan on sticking with one. But there are a few scenes that are just too important, and my MC can't be there. However, I want to avoid turning it into two MC's in this case. Thats a kink I still have to work out.

I pretty much agreed with everything you said about movies. I hate disney sequels, with very few exceptions. Aladin was ingenius. Nightmare, I wish disney would put more character into the princes in all their princess shows. Prince Phillip had a pretty big part in Sleeping Beauty. Even though it still bugs me that the faires left her alone in that room for even one second!
I mean, seriously? The king and queen give up their only child for 16 freaking years, and in the end, the fairies plan fails! I would have so fired them.

Oh- another favorite side character of mine is the queen's henchman in Enchanted. Haha, he's too good. I love that show, even if everyone else thinks its annoying.  

Arlingtonn

Nightmare1

Hallowed Phantom

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:47 pm
The prince can be excused from Snow White. That was the first time Disney animators were drawing somewhat realistically, and they wanted to put the prince in more, but he was the hardest to animate.

After that, however...

On Sleeping Beauty, there were regrets that the fairies (good and evil) stole the show because they were more interesting than Aurora or Phillip. Lesson (somewhat) learned in later movies. But one must wonder if Maleficent's curse of Aurora pricking her finger in sixteen years was indirectly responsible for the fairies not being there. Merryweather was able to change the spell to keep it from killing her, but not take it off. So for all we know, it could have been Maleficent's curse that caused the fairies to not watch Aurora for that one precious moment.

Agreed on Nathaniel. XD He was one reason Enchanted was worth watching.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:46 am
I really liked Pocahontas II as it was really different, she leaves John Smith for the other English guy. I liked both men because they were strong male influences and they stood out. I loved how Disney made her so strong as a person.

DesertRoseFallen
Vice Captain

5,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Arlingtonn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:08 pm
I haven't seen Pocahontas 2 in a long time... I always thought it was funny that the 'guard' indian that was sent with her carved his stick away. Pocahontas is definitely my favorite of the disney princesses (why do they always leave her out). She takes the initiative to save John Smith's life! Way to go for doing it yourself, and not waiting for the guy to save you.

Nightmare- if Aurora was so destined to p***k her finger anyway, I still would have fired the faries for not forseeing that and taking my daughter away from me for 16 years. Basically, I'd be angry.
I still don't think those faries showed very much determination to keep her safe though... They knew so well that using magic would blow their cover, that they hid their wands for 16 years! But then the color of the dress was apparently such a big deal, neither could overcome their opinion to keep the princess safe and hidden. (Even though I have to admit that fight is one of my favorite parts). Damn that crow.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:12 pm
I think part of it comes from Pocahontas not having a "pretty" dress that they can easily market...she does appear, but it is very rare. I think Eilonwy is the most ignored princess, to be honest. At least Pocahontas comes out once in a blue moon; Eilonwy has not been seen since The Black Cauldron came out of the Disney vault after almost two decades since theatrical release...

That is a good point, actually. In the original story, Sleeping Beauty did stay with her parents because nothing else could be done.  

Nightmare1

Hallowed Phantom

Arlingtonn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:30 am
I've never even see the Black Cauldron. Whenever people mention Eilonwy I'm just like, "Who?"
I love hearing all the original fairy tales- they're so different and often... morbid. Oh well, they're way more interesting than the watered-down kid-versions.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:07 pm
Indeed. Disney ruins a lot. But it does have it's gems. I love the kiddie version of The Hunchback of Notre Dame and the Lion King, even though it's Hamlet taking place in the animal kingdom.  

General Phade

Fanatical Cultist

Arlingtonn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:30 pm
Hamlet? I don't see the similarities... except that the king is killed by his brother- but that happens in books and movies all over the place.

I think all the Disney shows that came out before I turned 8 are pure classics. The rest... well, there are few that still fit into that category.  
Plot/Character/Genre Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff