Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
My Confession Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Khorkalba

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:37 am
whapcapn
Longbow UK

Our national drink!? Pffft. I will not swear allegiance to this heathen drink! It's about as British as the Volkswagen car! rolleyes

*Walks off frowning and mumbling*

Admittedly the plant comes from a place far from our fair land, but it must be remembered that India was after all a colony of the Empire. And you must admit that there is substance to Invictus' post: one has the choice to drink or not to drink tea. I believe now that neither road has moral implications.

Tea has been a tradition in Britain for how long? Not long... only since the 17th-18th century I think. So why does it deserve the title of "our national drink" over something like beer which has been a tradition for god knows how long?  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:49 am
Longbow UK
whapcapn
Longbow UK

Our national drink!? Pffft. I will not swear allegiance to this heathen drink! It's about as British as the Volkswagen car! rolleyes

Admittedly the plant comes from a place far from our fair land, but it must be remembered that India was after all a colony of the Empire. And you must admit that there is substance to Invictus' post: one has the choice to drink or not to drink tea. I believe now that neither road has moral implications.

Tea has been a tradition in Britain for how long? Not long... only since the 17th-18th century I think. So why does it deserve the title of "our national drink" over something like beer which has been a tradition for god knows how long?

The thing about beer, is it's not exclusively English.  

Boolean Julian
Crew

Khorkalba

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:54 am
whapcapn
Longbow UK
whapcapn
Longbow UK

Neither is tea.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:08 am
Longbow UK
whapcapn
Longbow UK
whapcapn
Longbow UK

Neither is tea.

But tea-culture is.  

Boolean Julian
Crew

Khorkalba

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:13 am
whapcapn
Longbow UK
whapcapn
Longbow UK
whapcapn
Longbow UK

Neither is tea.

But tea-culture is.

England isn't the only country where tea is popular, you know.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:17 am
Longbow UK
whapcapn
Longbow UK
whapcapn
Longbow UK
whapcapn
Longbow UK

Neither is tea.

But tea-culture is.

England isn't the only country where tea is popular, you know.

I know, but there isn't the same tea-drinking culture surrounding it.

Damn. I used the same phrase twice.
I'm losing.  

Boolean Julian
Crew

Khorkalba

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:21 am
whapcapn

I'm losing.

It may not the same, but they still have their own tea-culture. I consider 'tea culture' to be even more important in places like China, Japan and Korea etc. than it is here.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:25 am
Longbow UK
whapcapn

I'm losing.

It may not the same, but they still have their own tea-culture. I consider 'tea culture' to be even more important in places like China, Japan and Korea etc. than it is here.

Ok. I was probably wrong about that. But I still feel that tea drinking is an important part of English culture.  

Boolean Julian
Crew

Khorkalba

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:29 am
whapcapn
Longbow UK
whapcapn

I'm losing.

Ok. I was probably wrong about that. But I still feel that tea drinking is an important part of English culture.

More than alcohol, and beer in particular? sweatdrop Look at all of the pubs in Britain! It's a huge part of our culture...

Compared to the teabags on sale in supermarkets.
xp  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:42 am
Longbow UK
whapcapn
Longbow UK
whapcapn

I'm losing.

More than alcohol, and beer in particular? sweatdrop Look at all of the pubs in Britain! It's a huge part of our culture...

xp

Remember, one box of teabags makes many cups of tea.  

Boolean Julian
Crew

Khorkalba

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:45 am
whapcapn
Longbow UK
whapcapn
Longbow UK
whapcapn

I'm losing.

xp

Aye, but how many pints of beer are made in a pub? wink  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:53 am
Longbow UK
whapcapn
Longbow UK
whapcapn
Longbow UK
whapcapn

I'm losing.

xp

This is true. However, I could point out how much bread we consume as a nation. Does that mean a lot?  

Boolean Julian
Crew

Khorkalba

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:56 am
whapcapn
Longbow UK

This is true. However, I could point out how much bread we consume as a nation. Does that mean a lot?

Bread isn't a drink though, is it? rolleyes  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:00 pm
Longbow UK
whapcapn
Longbow UK

It is if you put it in a blender with some water.  

Boolean Julian
Crew

Khorkalba

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:34 pm
whapcapn
Longbow UK
whapcapn
Longbow UK

It is if you put it in a blender with some water.

Honestly... how many people do you know who buy bread from the supermarket for that purpose? xp  
Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff