Yes!
  No.
  Maybe later....
  I don't think so.
View Results

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:40 pm

I leave that to members, unless there's a series or something that I really want to make a thread on. If someone wants to make a thread on a series, book, or author, they're entirely free to do so. But I won't do the work for people, especially when I either haven't read or I'm not particularly fond of a lot of the series that people here have read and remarked on.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:54 pm

Just a plea for those of us who have jobs. I'm out of school now and can't spend everynight on Gaia. So I can only post every now and then, but I try to be active and lively.

Also, I don't always like the threads I see, or I don't have anything nice to say about the books, and I don't want to be mean (well, not in THIS forum) and so I just stick with what interests me.

But I like games! The word association thing is a hoot!

Have you ever tried "Exquisite Corpse" style stories? Or having people write up references to their favorite books, like a travellogue for Narnia or a historical essay on Pern?

Harbone

Bookwyrme

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:28 am

I don't think you need to worry about the rate of posting in the guild. From what I've seen, the discussion moves along at a fairly reasonable pace. It's true that the entries don't come as fast & thick as they do in, say, a polling guild, but that is because they take more thought.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:13 pm

I'm not banning for inactivity. Yet. When I do, it'll only be people with no posts. I don't like having them in the memberlist, because they just sit there, and it annoys me. People with at least one post are safe, so you should be fine, Harbone. Anyway, I'm not going to do anything about them until the mass PM system comes out. I'm too lazy and impatient to send out a bunch of PMs to people.

Never heard of "Exquisite Corpse" or that style. n.n" You could start a thread on that, if you'd like.

NightIntent
Captain

Harbone

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:42 pm

Well, you see, the Dadaists used to fold up pieces of paper and write random words on them at parties, etc. Then they'd unfold the paper and try to turn them into stories.

It is, in fact, kinda hard to do online. Round-robin is a similiar style, where everyone just adds a sentence or a paragraph to what has come before (very much like the Word Association thread.)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:00 pm

Yeah, it sounds like it'd be a bit hard to do online. I used to play something like that with my mom and sister.

Last night, while I was trying to sleep, I was thinking that I would start one of those add-a-sentence-stories, just for fun. They're kinda fun to do.

NightIntent
Captain

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:30 pm

I have a question.

Would anyone be interested in a writing contest? I may or may not start one in June, but I'd like to know if anyone will participate. 'Cause if no one's going to do anything for it, I may as well not do it.
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:58 pm

I thought we could Have a thing where people could sign up for the bets short story eavry month and who ever wins get a prize?IS that good?^_^

-talladega-

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 8:01 am

Isn't that a writing contest? Which I just mentioned in my last post?

Since every other contest I've had hasn't been very popular, even the super-easy recruitment contest, I don't think I'll run any contests for a while. Maybe I will during the summer, I'll see. It'll be this guild's first summer with more than a few members.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:19 am

I'm not a good writer, but I like it. I might do a contest. But maybe we could organize the treads into sub-forums. It just seems cleaner to me. I'm not sure, but I feel it would make things more efficient. Some of the other guilds I'm in have done it, and I like it, but I would appreciate it if others would give some input.

JewelintheLotus

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:48 pm

Meh, I've become less fond of sub-forums as each day goes by. Poeple completely ignore the one in another guild I'm in, the one here doesn't get all that much attention, and the ones in another guild I'm in it just confuses people. Well, me, at the very least. I'm only in one guild that manages to pull it off at all, and even that just barely squeaks by in my opinion. So no more sub-forums for a good long while in this guild, until I can think of a really good use for one.

I think I'll try a contest or two during the summer, and see how those do. I believe I've said this before, but the contests I've done before haven't worked out so well. Very few people participated. I'll have to think about it. If I decide to, I'll probably start a writing contest shortly after my school ends after next week.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:20 pm

I think you're right about sub-forums.
You might want to put a sticky in there saying something like "the moderator only visits here occasionally" or "Play nice but don't make me come in there!" or something.

I'm not really that great of a writer, I just enjoy writing games, so, I probably won't try the short fiction contest. At least not in June, sorry.

Harbone

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:28 pm

No, I check the sub-forum at least once daily. More if I'm bored enough or multiple posts have been made between my visits to this guild. So there's no need for a sticky that I don't go in.

If I start any contest, it'll last at least a month, if not more. Particularly for a writing contest, since I'm going to have... erm... how to put this? Really high standards, particularly grammar-wise. <.< I'm a grammar freak and that will never change. So, yeah, at least a month, probably closer to a month and a half for a writing contest. Which no one will likely participate in anyway, because it's going be required to be really short. I haven't even thought through the rules yet.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:57 pm

Ok I just thought I'd throw the idea out there. Thanks for listening though. It's good to see you're so involved and concerned for your guild. That's not very common.

JewelintheLotus

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:39 pm

n.n" Guilds are my obsession on Gaia. I like it when they're active. I did say that I would explain why I woulkd or wouldn't do suggestions. I'd want the same thing done for me, so I figure others feel the same way. Or maybe it's just that kindergarten and "Do to others what you want done to you" made a bit too much of an impression on me. Either way, I figure if people are kind enough to make a suggestion, I'd better explain why I decide not to use it. Common courtesy, yes?
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff