Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
ahh i hate this some one help me see the truth(Resolved) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:49 pm
Raygnar Havon

but yeah it would seem that passage is more worded to Athenas way of war rather than Ares cuz Athena was also known as the Goddess of Wisdom, so it would make since her assotiation would be linked to the overal stratagy and preperations where as Ares was the god of actually doing war

I feel there is a miscommuncation.

The passage I quoted was in a hymn to Ares- asking him for restraint and the strength to live in peace under the law.

I am wondering if some of the perceptions that are being associated with the gods, terms like "Goddess of Wisdom" or "fire tempered" are being filtered through a modern lens that is removed from how the Greeks viewed their gods.

If you are a citizen of Athens thousands of years ago, Athena is the patron of your city-state. She is it's protector, and because of that- when you go to war with the neighboring city-states, you make offerings and pray for victory in your battles.

Do you think it is likely that the enemies of Athens prayed to Athena for their victory? I'm not sure one way or the other, so this is not rhetorical.

but i may be wrong it is possible that the passage is being interpreted wrongly  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:27 pm
well i read that Ares actually never really sided with his own people but instead would side with say the amazons

in fact heres the opening wiki statment about him

Ares (Ancient Greek: Ἄρης [árɛːs], Μodern Greek: Άρης [ˈaris]) is a major deity and a member of the Twelve Olympians, a son of Zeus and Hera, in Greek mythology. Though often referred to as the Olympian god of warfare, he is more accurately the god of bloodlust, or slaughter personified: "Ares is apparently an ancient abstract noun meaning throng of battle, war."[1] He also presides over the weapons of war, the defence and sacking of cities, rebellion and civil order, banditry, manliness and courage  

Ray Relo Nikiv

Dramatic Genius

Ray Relo Nikiv

Dramatic Genius

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:31 pm
better yet heres another i found
http://www.michaeldorosin.com/seton/6/HTML_Gonzalo/test.htm  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:39 pm
I question the quality of Wikipedia's summation of his character, because I feel it is subject to the very modern filters I initially commented on.

Instead, I provided a hymn from Ancient Greece, and it's call to Aries to help the hymnist live in restraint and peace.

Picture for a moment that you live in Ancient Greece. You live daily in the hustle and bustle of city life as a citizen of Athens. While the philosophers speak of high things and the priests and priestesses lay offerings in the temples, the day to day world has an understanding about these gods in the same way if I ask about Jesus you could probably tell me a thing or two about him.

As Christianity becomes the major religion and worship of the Greek gods (and other gods) falls into the realm of stories, rather than that of a living religion. Some written works are preserved. Many are not. The living understanding fades and all we have are the stories.

Authors write commentaries on these stories, some are better than others. Some of them analyze the gods as personalities, others analyze them as archetypes- everyone has an opinion and some of those opinions are fueled more by the author seeking to support their claim than how much of the day to day understanding of the gods were preserved in the texts.

Later, other authors who often write for pagans take these literary commentaries and make lists of key words they see in the analysis.

I feel this filtering of information is not as reliable as reading the surviving texts.  

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:41 pm
To add, I feel that http://www.theoi.com/ is a better website resource than Wikipedia and the link you posted.

I like it because it provides in depth resources and citations from ancient Greek texts.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff