Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Hari Needs Critique, ya! (roxtarre) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Captain Kolita

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:20 pm
I edited the shadows like you said, Spoggly...better?http://HariSaysMeh.deviantart.com/art/Plushie-Style-165534816

I also added some texture. :]  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:24 pm
It looks better now, I notice you've tried airbrushing some areas to add volume. 3nodding Another tip I can give you on shading: try searching 'color theory' on google. Instead of using just the next darker shade of color to shade (example, using dark blue to shade blue areas), try using the complementary color at lower opacity. This will bring out more depth and more interesting color effects.

Instead of focusing only on human forms, you could also start practicing on simpler objects first (trees, jars, plushies, etc), for coloring/shading.  

Spoggly

Dapper Nerd

Captain Kolita

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:25 pm
Spoggly
It looks better now, I notice you've tried airbrushing some areas to add volume. 3nodding Another tip I can give you on shading: try searching 'color theory' on google. Instead of using just the next darker shade of color to shade (example, using dark blue to shade blue areas), try using the complementary color at lower opacity. This will bring out more depth and more interesting color effects.

Instead of focusing only on human forms, you could also start practicing on simpler objects first (trees, jars, plushies, etc), for coloring/shading.

Thanks. I'm taking your advice on the coloring. I have a set of swatches that I'm very fond of now, and they really help. ^^ I've done the whole jar/sphere shading thing, I'm just forgetting to apply it because I'm kinda retarded sometimes. Xd

What do you think of this?

I'm using a textured wash. I know her face is muchos messed up, I inked it manually and haven't yet got around to digitally fixing it. But, color wise? I was also working on texture of fabrics and whatnot, and making her boots look not-flat.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:48 pm
Winter_Rhapsody
Pic 1/Walking on Air - the girl was too pale and her iris are constricted too. She looks more like in a shock that walking in air. I'm so sorry, don't wanna sound mean. One last thing her back is out of proportion she looks like a hunchback. but all in all the picture was really likable smile

Pic 2/Guitar Heroine - Her right leg is particularly thicker than the other or maybe it's cause there's an extra brown colored outside the leg outline. I don't like how you added shadows to the arms and neck. The color of the shadows seems inappropriate.. too green maybe? but it rocks smile you know.. just wanted to point out the criticisms

Thanks for the critique! You're right about her back, but she is supposed to look rather in shock. I was referencing a song called Walking on Air and it's really creepy, so I thought I would make her look horrified. The song is awesome, here's a link to the amv I found it, here.

Guitar Heroine was kind of a nightmare, now that I'm looking back on it. DX Legs are screwed up, and I used burn and dodge to shade and highlight, like a complete n00b. Y-Y So you're right on every criticism there, I was still new to Photoshop then.  

Captain Kolita

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces