Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild
Star Trek crushes (I apologize if this topic already exists) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

xXSuperWhateverXx

7,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:27 pm
@Aria Hikari:
Yes, I found the TOS and reboot Spock very attractive. smile
Although, I didn't really find Pike "Cute". Just more attractive in a mature kind of way.  
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:29 pm
Bruce "Captain Pike" Greenwood will be providing the Bat Voice for Batman in the next direct to DVD Batman movie. Which MUST add sexy points....  

Matt Pniewski

xXSuperWhateverXx

7,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:31 pm
Oh yes, I did like hearing his voice. razz  
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:19 pm
Oh I see...haha. I feel stupid now...shoulda known that. Fail.

O! I do agree! His voice is very nice. :]

ilikeike

2,500 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250

xXSuperWhateverXx

7,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:56 pm
@ilikeike: Nahh it's okay, I didn't know the name of the guy who played Scotty until I looked it up on the internet. Before then I just knew the actors who played Bones, Spock, and Kirk. razz  
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:51 pm
I'm very bad at learning actor/actress names. I usually just say "the guy who played____". Pisses my brother off.

ilikeike

2,500 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250

xXSuperWhateverXx

7,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 6:03 pm
@ilikeike: Usually I'm like that when I don't know how to spell/pronounce the actor/actresses name.

Anyway,
in regards of species I find Humans, Vulcans, Klingons, Betazoids, the most attractive. The least attractive would be Ferengi. xP  
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 7:49 pm
Ew. Ferengi are definitely not attractive. Though Nog's dancing is quite interesting.

ilikeike

2,500 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250

xXSuperWhateverXx

7,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:01 pm
@ilikeike: Yes I know, I hear that Ferengi's were parodied as Jewish people. neutral  
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 10:53 am
Jewish? How so?

ilikeike

2,500 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250

xXSuperWhateverXx

7,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:23 am
Well, according to Wikipedia:
Quote:
In the book Religions of Star Trek, Ross S. Kraemer wrote that "Ferengi religion seems almost a parody of traditional Judaism... Critics have pointed out a disturbing correlation between Ferengi attributes (love of profit that overrides communal decency; the large, sexualized head feature, in this case ears) and negative Jewish stereotypes."

Commentator Jonah Goldberg wrote that Ferengi were portrayed in The Next Generation as "runaway capitalists with bullwhips who looked like a mix between Nazi caricatures of Jews and the original Nosferatu." Four of the most notable Ferengi characters, Quark, Nog, Rom and Zek, are played by Jewish actors Armin Shimerman, Aron Eisenberg, Max Grodénchik and Wallace Shawn.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:26 am
Ouch. To be portrayed as ferengi.

ilikeike

2,500 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250

xXSuperWhateverXx

7,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:32 am
Yeah I know. neutral

It makes me wonder if Gene Roddenbery hated Jews.  
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:39 am
I hope not. Prejudice is very unfortunate. People should not be discriminated against, especially publicly.

ilikeike

2,500 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250

Matt Pniewski

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:07 pm
I never thought of it that way.

Like it or not, we hear about how "Jews" act or how "Blacks" act. True or not, it's ugly. Personifying these things in this fashion is not prejudice. Claiming that the Ferengi had this basis is not prejudice. Claiming that the Jews act like them, however, is.....

But the origins of the Ferengi are not so limited. Producers have denied this for a while, and have actually said the Ferengi are based on humans, essentially.

Quote:
The word "Ferengi" is derived from the Arabic and Farsi word farangi, which meant "frank", as in the French/European traders who made contact with Arabic traders

Quote:
They're us. They have the energy of 20th century human beings, they have the drive, they have the greed, they have the sense of self that we do. You can't trust them until you can trust them, and once you understand them, they're quite wonderful. And like us, they're constantly rising above their limitations."

Quote:
"The Ferengi are us. That's the gag, the Ferengis are humans. They're more human than the humans on Star Trek because they are so screwed-up, and they are so dysfunctional. They're regular people. And that was the fun of that. Obviously, the characterizing is taken to the extreme, and sometimes even made into cartoons. But the best cartoons are also us, and that's why we took such delight in the Ferengi episodes." (Hidden File 03, DS9 Season 3 DVD, Special Features) Wolfe also states, quite simply, "In the Star Trek universe, the Ferengi are the most human people out there. Because the human people in the Star Trek universe are much more evolved than we are. The Ferengi aren't.

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Ferengi  
Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces