Welcome to Gaia! ::

Cherub and Friends Art Guild

Back to Guilds

In this guild you may post your art for all to see, get tips on improving your work, and enter our monthly contests! 

Tags: anime, drawings, avatar, manga, shop 

Reply Traditional Art
Traditional artists, unite! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you a traditional artist?
  Yea
  Nay
View Results

Centipedes In Utero

Shameless Streaker

10,900 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:37 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Traditional artist, here. I don't get how someone can draw using the mouse. I've tried, and it's damn near impossible for me.

User Image

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:14 pm
I don't know. I've seen traditional art out rival digital.
I like doing both. But I don't have a tablet. I use a mouse on GIMP. I'm too poor to even consider buying photoshop.

Its just easier to find digital artists that are actually good at what they do. I've seen far too many traditional artist that just should find another hobby all together. ._.''

I myself am making plenty from a traditional art shop on Gaia. :3  

onipanda379

6,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100

Magezian

Tipsy Raider

8,000 Points
  • Pie Scarface 150
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Pie Enabler 100
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:50 pm
I know how to use photoshop, but I still love traditional~ Maybe I should draw with color pencils again :3  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:33 pm
i tried doing some digital art and its no where near as satisfying as doing it traditionally with the exception of always being able to erase

traditional art ftw!  

kiniumi

950 Points
  • Member 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Person of Interest 200

XxDestinyMoonxX

4,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:56 am
I use both, which one I use depends on what I feel like doing and the situation. I started out with traditional but moved on to digital but I got some new marker pens so I might work more with traditional now.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:41 am
i am a traditional artist.
well, i try to draw more digital, but first i need a new tablet (my old on is giving up >.<)
i just love to feel what i draw, like with colour pencils and such. mostly i draw with my nose on the paper, you can't do that in front of the computer (you can......but you don't see anything)
drawings with colour pencils, copic markers, watercolour and acrylic are just my favourites.^^  

fanmuhr

Tachanne

5,200 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:19 am
Well, I suppose every artist would start out as a traditional artist since some of us didn't have computer access to fancy programs like Photoshop and so on.
I guess it works out either way. If artists know how to draw traditionally, then it wouldn't be so hard to draw digitally. It might even be better for those users who have a mouse than a tablet. Or for those who have a laptop and can draw with their trackpad. Using those items, they'll be developing even more skills drawing digitally.
As for the traditional artists, they have a wide range of tools to be used. Digital programs can only provide the texture of the tool if needed. Depending on which tools to draw with, I'd say watercolor would be kind of hard to portray onto the computer.
Using watercolor paints on special paper, the artist could bring out the best in their own painting than on the computer.
Drawing digitally and traditionally have their pros and cons but they're still, obviously, a work of art.

Personally, since I can draw with trackpad, mouse, and tablet, I'd say drawing on paper is purely awesome. Messing around on Photoshop, SAI, oC, and GIMP is fun too, but pencils, markers, crayons and paint make me feel young again.

Oh uh-- sorry for my super big post by the way. It was just something I had to share. >u>;

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:28 am
I'm more of a digital artist because it's cheaper. I don't like buying paints and canvases and what not. I still draw with pen, pencil and paper every once in a while but digital work is just simpler and I can do it anywhere.  

Knocturne

2,850 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200

Rizzi Chan

Sparkly Lover

6,050 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:48 pm
I find it easier to do my art traditionally because I can do it more intricately. I am buying a tablet though so that I can do both. But I find tradtional easier. Even though nobody likes my art...  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:50 pm
@ Knocturne : I'm just giving feedback on your post.

Now, don't get me wrong here, but aspiring artists always start with traditional drawing and painting.
Digital drawing is easy. . . for those who are used to it.
For those artists who don't draw digitally, they obviously, draw traditionally, and that too is okay.
Though, some artists who like to draw their emotions do a way better job showing it on paper or canvas than on Photoshop.
Paint, paper and canvas is original and can be carried around anywhere.
As for the computer, it is only in a certain solitary spot.

Also, the title of this thread is Traditional artists, unite! and I'm afraid your post is in a more negative note to traditional drawings.
I don't mean to be rude or anything like that, I'm just pointing that out.

Tachanne

5,200 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Signature Look 250

Tachanne

5,200 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:53 pm
xwx I did it again. Super big post.

@ Rizzi : Don't say that about your drawings !
It sounds like you're giving up on art. Don't do that.
Just keep practicing, try other styles of art.
Good luck on the tablet ! It can be hard at first but you'll get used to it soon. =w=b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:18 pm
Tachanne
@ Knocturne : I'm just giving feedback on your post.

Now, don't get me wrong here, but aspiring artists always start with traditional drawing and painting.
Digital drawing is easy. . . for those who are used to it.
For those artists who don't draw digitally, they obviously, draw traditionally, and that too is okay.
Though, some artists who like to draw their emotions do a way better job showing it on paper or canvas than on Photoshop.
Paint, paper and canvas is original and can be carried around anywhere.
As for the computer, it is only in a certain solitary spot.

Also, the title of this thread is Traditional artists, unite! and I'm afraid your post is in a more negative note to traditional drawings.
I don't mean to be rude or anything like that, I'm just pointing that out.

Well, I was just saying that I was shifting to digital more because it was easier and I can do it anywhere (tablet and laptop) I can't take the various brushes and paints I need nore a 20x20 canvas to the mall and work on capturing a moment as people walk by. I could do this with my sketch pad and some charcoal but then it remains unfinished because then I'd like to add more elements to it.

I wasn't being negative at all, I'm just saying that the only crutch for me when it comes to traditional work, which I also still do, is the lack of freedom. And yes, I do use various mediums, because experimenting is also very fun. And I don't think any specific way is more original. It's just easier for me to do digital, nothing else. Just easier. I'm not offended or anything I AM a traditional artist, but I'm also a digital artist. I thought it was relevant to state my point of view, being part of both worlds.  

Knocturne

2,850 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200

Tachanne

5,200 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:30 am
@ Knocturne : Okay, I get it. Sorry about my last post. I probably mis-read yours or I didn't understand it properly.
Well, it's good to know that we've got a few traditional artists in this Guild right ? >u>

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:33 pm
crying I'm a traditional artist too. I have an tablet and I rarely used it, but everywhere I look in gaia there digital art O_o. But I know every digital artist probabaly started off as traditional artist. Still I'm 95% traditional artist sweatdrop  

XDSuki

Dedicated Saint

7,700 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

Quvi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:50 pm
I do both, but I never upload my traditional stuff sweatdrop
I really like the control one has when using traditional media compared to using a tablet.
I still can't draw nearly as well as I can on a tablet than I do on paper.

I always do life studies/practice on paper or a canvas, never digitally (unless it's digital...practice?).

It's a shame I have no camera to upload my big stuff, and I'm just too lazy to scan smaller things.  
Traditional Art

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff