Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Paganism with mostly Wiccan Practices. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Calelith

Apocalyptic Rogue

41,915 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Abomination 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:45 pm
You seem awfully butthurt any particular reason why?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:50 pm
Personal reasons.

Deorwynn

Calelith

Apocalyptic Rogue

41,915 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Abomination 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:51 pm
Then don't take it out on us.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:14 pm
Deorwynn
A lot.
Not really. The only ones you have listed here were published mostly in the 90's by Llewellyn.

Where's the books published in the 60's through the 80's?
What about the classic source texts?
Leland, Gardner, Valiente... what about Hutton or Adler?

I mean, the authors you have listed are pretty much the kinds of texts that most pagans I know use to level out their coffee tables. But then, most pagans I know have been seriously practicing for a couple of decades.

Let's explore these for a moment.
Quote:

Sliver Ravenwolf (Only really use for information)

First, Ravenwolf's information on the chakras is racist bullshit. She completely misinformed you and projected pop-Western understandings onto a system that belongs in Bhārat's lore.

Part of this guild is learning to examine ethics. By supporting her work, you are supporting her and her actions.

This isn't a matter of someone like A J Drew. His works, while I disagree with some of his assertions, he isn't indulging this kind of patiently racist bullshit.

Christopher Penzack again indulges in bullshit racist activities, and openly publishes material that is reserved for second degree practitioners in order to turn a profit.

Conway- see above comments about racist practices, apply it to the Gael.
Moura would rather support the Frost's rights to endorse raping children than actually engage in meaningful magic to protect said children.

Cunningham, like Gardner, Leland and others was a product of his time. He engaged in the same kind of privilege based dickery, but unlike the others who have had a chance to change and refuse to do so, I can at least understand his error (though parts of his books have factually incorrect information, such as his commentary on camellia sinesis in his book on food magic. )

Dianne Sylvan makes a lot of comments about modern culture she knows little to nothing about and habitually romanticizes the past in order to push her Aryan-Vulva-biased agenda. Also? Women don't make the choice to own and shape their body. It's all mindless fodder towards pop-culture.

Basically, I'd have a lot less issue with your choice in texts if they weren't fraught with -ism based biases that include pandering to racists, oppressive bitches and *****.  

TeaDidikai

Deorwynn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:19 pm
Great.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:55 pm
Deorwynn
Great.

Isn't it, though?

Namikikyo

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:18 pm
Deorwynn
Great.
Question is, where do you go from here?

Well, since you're fond of Ravenwolf, do your best to detail exactly what you like about her.

My bet is that with a bit of elbow grease, we can find something similar that you can either implement in an ethical way (for example, Cunningham's books often include Standing Stone's BoS at the back- which, when modified to remove the errors of the culture, can be perfectly ethical practices.)  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:51 am
The bit about telling your Christian parents that you're working with angels made me cringe.

Most Christians I know do NOT believe that anything calling itself an angel is automatically a being of goodness and light.

Secondly, most Christians I know of would think you were off your rocker for "working with angels" instead of, y'know, praying to God through Jesus like the Bible tells them to do.  

Yanueh

Shameless Shapeshifter

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:55 am
Yanueh

Most Christians I know do NOT believe that anything calling itself an angel is automatically a being of goodness and light.
I'm curious as to how you come to this conclusion.

Quote:
Secondly, most Christians I know of would think you were off your rocker for "working with angels" instead of, y'know, praying to God through Jesus like the Bible tells them to do.
Oh?

Please post the chapter and verse wherein praying to others is prohibited.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:28 am
Deorwynn... I'd suggest the following books. I'm particularly fond of the first one, for gaining a deeper understanding of "why" we do what we do in ritual. Too many books tell us "how", but never really explain "why" those steps are important.

Elements of Ritual – Deborah Lipp
Circle of Fire - Sorita D'Este & David Rankine
A Grimoire of Shadows - Ed Fitch
Wicca. The Old Religion in the New Millennium - Vivianne Crowley
The Triumph of the Moon - Ronald Hutton (for a historical perspective on witchcraft and wicca)  

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

Yanueh

Shameless Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:30 am
Quote:
I'm curious as to how you come to this conclusion.

Oh, I don't know... maybe from talking to Christians I know?

You might also be interested in 2 Corinthians 11:14: And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light.

Quote:
Oh?

Please post the chapter and verse wherein praying to others is prohibited.

It isn't that it prohibits asking angels or saints for help so much as it doesn't actually say they can. It isn't approved of because it isn't directly permitted.

Also, many view praying in and of itself as an act of worship. Worshiping angels isn't permitted according to Revelation 19:10:

At this I fell at his feet to worship him. But he said to me, "Do not do it! I am a fellow servant with you and with your brothers who hold to the testimony of Jesus. Worship God! For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy."  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:22 am
Yanueh

It isn't that it prohibits asking angels or saints for help so much as it doesn't actually say they can. It isn't approved of because it isn't directly permitted.

...the Bible doesn't direct permit driving cars, microwaving food, or using electronics either. neutral

Quote:
Also, many view praying in and of itself as an act of worship.

...then they don't really know much about prayer.

Quote:
Worshiping angels isn't permitted according to Revelation 19:10:

At this I fell at his feet to worship him. But he said to me, "Do not do it! I am a fellow servant with you and with your brothers who hold to the testimony of Jesus. Worship God! For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy."

So, one angel saying that one person shouldn't worship him means that worshiping angels in general is forbidden?  

Cyrus the Elder

6,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:29 am
Yanueh
You might also be interested in 2 Corinthians 11:14: And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light.
Well he's supposed to tempt man. That's his God-given Job. Hell, in the Talmud, he's down right evil. Still works for God though.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:50 am
Quote:
So, one angel saying that one person shouldn't worship him means that worshiping angels in general is forbidden?

If this angel is indeed speaking on behalf of God (as Christians would presume) then it would be a reasonable assumption on their part.

Either way, my point that Ravenwolf's advice wouldn't fly with a lot of Christian parents still stands.  

Yanueh

Shameless Shapeshifter

Cyrus the Elder

6,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:57 am
Yanueh
Quote:

If this angel is indeed speaking on behalf of God (as Christians would presume) then it would be a reasonable assumption on their part.

...not really considering he's speaking about a singular angels, and not angels as a whole. And how the hell do you know what "Christians" would presume. Even I don't know what Christians as a whole would presume, and I'm ******** Cyrus goddammit!

Quote:
Either way, my point that Ravenwolf's advice wouldn't fly with a lot of Christian parents still stands.

"a lot" is a rather meaningless quantification though.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff