Submit

Necrodancer Ghost

Feral Vampire

15,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Team Moira 200
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:09 am
I never said you only had to listen to goth. I just said you had to be a fan of the music.
Hell, I regularly listen to Rage Against the Machine, Immortal Technique, Kelly Clarkson, and even some Celia Cruz. That's about as far away from gothic rock as you're going to get.

What I'm saying is that gothic music is the most important part of the subculture, its heartbeat if you will; divorcing it from the subculture by allowing non-fans to call themselves goth is just retarded. If anything, being a fan is the one requirement to being a goth. There's really nothing more to it than that; there's no goth "ideology", "lifestyle", or "state of mind". A goth is a fan of that particular genre of music who chooses to call him/herself a goth, and/or choose to participate in a community of fellow gothic rock fans. Everything else people say is just bullshit.

Again, there's no rule saying a goth can't listen to industrial or, hell even polka, if they wanted. But the bottom line is a goth is a fan of gothic rock first and foremost.

Also, while my estimation that "95%" of this guild is poseurs is an obvious exaggeration, there is some truth to it. This guild has over 5650 members, from what the guild's home page tells me. Out of all those I'd say there are roughly about 20-30 members who post here regularly, and out of all those I'd say maybe about two thirds of them are fans of gothic rock. But then browsing through old posts and random member profiles, it's clear that a large portion of the members of this guild have either never heard of gothic rock or have no interest in it.

This message is brought to you in part by the Give Razors to Emos Foundation
Eradicating at least 24 idiots a day.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:41 am
The Spirit of Vengeance
I never said you only had to listen to goth. I just said you had to be a fan of the music.
Hell, I regularly listen to Rage Against the Machine, Immortal Technique, Kelly Clarkson, and even some Celia Cruz. That's about as far away from gothic rock as you're going to get.

What I'm saying is that gothic music is the most important part of the subculture, its heartbeat if you will; divorcing it from the subculture by allowing non-fans to call themselves goth is just retarded. If anything, being a fan is the one requirement to being a goth. There's really nothing more to it than that; there's no goth "ideology", "lifestyle", or "state of mind". A goth is a fan of that particular genre of music who chooses to call him/herself a goth, and/or choose to participate in a community of fellow gothic rock fans. Everything else people say is just bullshit.

Again, there's no rule saying a goth can't listen to industrial or, hell even polka, if they wanted. But the bottom line is a goth is a fan of gothic rock first and foremost.

Also, while my estimation that "95%" of this guild is poseurs is an obvious exaggeration, there is some truth to it. This guild has over 5650 members, from what the guild's home page tells me. Out of all those I'd say there are roughly about 20-30 members who post here regularly, and out of all those I'd say maybe about two thirds of them are fans of gothic rock. But then browsing through old posts and random member profiles, it's clear that a large portion of the members of this guild have either never heard of gothic rock or have no interest in it.

Thanks that's what I was getting at when I asked her what kind of music she liked.

Whisper Gently

Angel of the End

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:02 pm
Honestly, any "look" isn't gonna convince anyone of anything, dear. There are many many people who dress in a way they might be called or considered goth, yet they are not. ((Not that this is a bad thing, entirely... I actually started out just wearing more and more black, having a fondness for black lipstick and dark make up, writing poetry and having more morbid/"strange"-hobbies, humor, and interests, people started calling me "goth", I looked it up, liked the music, and felt sort of like "Oh, that's what I am... sure, I can go with that."))

If there was going to be one requirement to being a goth, or a list of them, it would probably be something like this (although the goth cabal won't kill anyone over this, jk jk... or am I?)
1. Fondness, or atleast knowing of, the origional gothic rock movement, where it happened, what basic bands it included, and where all the term "goth" actually comes from. <-- not as scary or strict or hard-to-find-out as it looks
2. Listening to atleast a few mondern-day, well, they are more "neo", goth bands and musicians. It started out as rock, but really, we are everywhere now.
3. Although there is a ton of variation now in the outside dress, to have a look. I know, I know, this is over-rated and does not make someone a goth... irreguardless, there are a few things the outfit-part of it comes from: admiration and copying of what the origional gothic rock bands of the 70s and 80s wore, and much more simply, just to be able to recognize other goths (although since so many other subcultures have borrowed looks from ours, this is not quite as valid as it was even 10 years ago).

Well, dear, that is all I can really help you with ^^; Most of all, I suggest you doing research, and to remember: you are a person, not a mold. If you think you are black-clad, and are not, that is just fine and you are just a valid as any other human in the world. Doesn't mean you have to stop liking things that are gothy because you are not one, you know? But whatever you do with your life and time is up to you, dear.
((Oh, and I am goth, and I have very long blonde curly hair, with one braided neon-green streak in it... just do and have what you like, I personally would not cut off, straighten, and/or dye my hair whatever anyone said about it. We are who we are, you know?))

((P.S., no one please kill me over this, I am just trying to be an honest help... I never aim to offend or come off as a know-it-all, just trying to answer her question while covering more of the bases some other people have not touched completely yet, ok?))  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:05 pm
Jonathonn
LadyBatLove
xp
I know. I just kinda thought about it at the time xD
Umm...I listen to Rock, Punk, Jrock, and randomly, techno xD It's funny cause nobody listens to techno anymore besides the internet.

Well. You can still, arguably, be a goth. At 12 I was listening to Blink-182 and wearing yellow tank tops and I stil considered myself goth. (I mis that shirt. T'was the smex).
Even though you appear not to be a fan of goth rock, if you're active in the fashion and community...
Yes, I would say you're perfectly acceptable as a goth, dearie.
^-^

I agree, but I also already posted that I also agree with Vengence, as well. Both you guys are right, and if there are goths let's say 30 years from now, I wonder how much they will fit our description of this lovely culture... just wondering <3 Or even 10 years from now, actually. If 2012 does not happen, but that subject belongs in a different topic.  

Angel of the End

SADERR

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:13 pm
This is sort of offtopic, but I'm curious.
What about fans of genres goth has created? Like, what if someone called themselves goth but listened to dark cabaret? Still up for the job description, or no?
(I take no side to this, just curious).  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:51 am
Just on topic, I was a goth at 10, full ankh, make up, slouncy shirts, leather pants, big decorative boots and tail coat. I listened to the Cure, Sister of Mercy, Souxsie and the Banshees et'al.

Then I discovered metal.

Moral of the story, yes you can be goth regardless of your age.  

Rellik San
Crew

Necrodancer Ghost

Feral Vampire

15,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Moira 200
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:26 am
Rellik San
Just on topic, I was a goth at 10, full ankh, make up, slouncy shirts, leather pants, big decorative boots and tail coat. I listened to the Cure, Sister of Mercy, Souxsie and the Banshees et'al.
That's pretty much my story(though it started much sooner).
I blame, and thank, my mom.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:56 am
The Spirit of Vengeance
Rellik San

I found goth on my own, but my mom was always a big fan of The Cure, and I listened to them before even knowing about the goth culture. I think I started to actually get into it at around.. 13. Grade 7, I ran into goth rock and loved it, but before thn I considered myself a goth, though looking back, yeah I was wrong. Damn babybat ages. xP  

SADERR

Necrodancer Ghost

Feral Vampire

15,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Moira 200
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:06 pm
Jonathonn
The Spirit of Vengeance
Rellik San

I found goth on my own, but my mom was always a big fan of The Cure, and I listened to them before even knowing about the goth culture. I think I started to actually get into it at around.. 13. Grade 7, I ran into goth rock and loved it, but before thn I considered myself a goth, though looking back, yeah I was wrong. Damn babybat ages. xP
Believe it or not, that happens to just about everyone. I've been listening to gothic rock pretty much since I was 4, and in my early teen years I still went through the whole mallcore phase.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:04 pm
It takes guts for people past the baby bat stage to admit to that ^^;; Since you guys have been bold enough to, thus, so must I. Really, very few people who are goths did not go through that stage in some form or another....

Sorry, sort of off topic.  

Angel of the End

Xahmen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:08 pm
Goth music?!
Oh man I've been listening to Nine Inch Nails since I was really little!
Oh and Manson is good too!  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:42 am
The Spirit of Vengeance
Jonathonn
The Spirit of Vengeance
Rellik San

Believe it or not, that happens to just about everyone. I've been listening to gothic rock pretty much since I was 4, and in my early teen years I still went through the whole mallcore phase.

I never did that, whilst everyone else was in hoodies, I was in leather jackets and wondering who these weirdoes that were tainting my good name were.  

Rellik San
Crew

Death of Cool

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:05 pm
Angel of the End
It takes guts for people past the baby bat stage to admit to that ^^;; Since you guys have been bold enough to, thus, so must I. Really, very few people who are goths did not go through that stage in some form or another....

From what I've seen, you're still in your "baby bat" phase. And that's giving you way more credit than you probably deserve.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:44 pm
Death of Cool
Angel of the End

From what I've seen, you're still in your "baby bat" phase. And that's giving you way more credit than you probably deserve.

Way to be a d**k, you d**k.  

Xahmen

Death of Cool

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:47 pm
Zahmen II
Death of Cool
Angel of the End

Way to be a d**k, you d**k.

At least I'm honest.
I have openly called for her to be banned from this forum in the past. She spends most of her time here talking s**t, trolling and generally not knowing what the ******** she's talking about.  
Life Issues & Fashion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff