Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
BDSM and Paganism? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cranium Squirrel

Friendly Trickster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:44 pm
...Yipe. Just yipe.

Odin wants you to have a big livestock syringe of saline injected into your heart? The Allfather is trying to kill his people now? crying  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:45 pm
Byaggha
...Yipe. Just yipe.

Odin wants you to have a big livestock syringe of saline injected into your heart? The Allfather is trying to kill his people now? crying
You realize how ironic you posting this with your current avi is, ya?  

TeaDidikai

Cranium Squirrel

Friendly Trickster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:47 pm
TeaDidikai
You realize how ironic you posting this with your current avi is, ya?
Oh, that? That's not saline... ninja

Yes. Also, my signature mentions medicine, so it works on three levels! xd  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:09 pm
British Traditional Wicca is a little kinky.
I'm a little kinky.
We mix well.

wink  

aoijea23487

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:52 pm
Ack, I'm actually mis attributing the quoting of the Havamal to Freyja Aswyn. It's really by a blogger who she's quoted named svartesol. I may make a seperate thread on this.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:06 pm
That's very interesting... I'm into the S&M stuff... I always thought it was sort of against the "AS it harms none, do what you will" rule. Technically, BDSM is harmful, but if everyone involved is willing, it's quite fun. I think it could be a spiritual experience, as long as it was all consensual.  

redwolfshadow

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:11 pm
redwolfshadow
That's very interesting... I'm into the S&M stuff... I always thought it was sort of against the "AS it harms none, do what you will" rule. Technically, BDSM is harmful, but if everyone involved is willing, it's quite fun. I think it could be a spiritual experience, as long as it was all consensual.

"AS it harms none, do what you will" is not a rule, it's a rede, which means advice. so, it's really more of a guideline...  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:50 am
redwolfshadow
That's very interesting... I'm into the S&M stuff... I always thought it was sort of against the "AS it harms none, do what you will" rule. Technically, BDSM is harmful, but if everyone involved is willing, it's quite fun.

[ || ]
[ << ]

Prey tell, how are you defining harm?  

TeaDidikai

aoijea23487

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:31 am
redwolfshadow
That's very interesting... I'm into the S&M stuff... I always thought it was sort of against the "AS it harms none, do what you will" rule. Technically, BDSM is harmful, but if everyone involved is willing, it's quite fun.

Not all BDSM is harmful. If it's consensual, no one should be hurt psychologically. Tying my partner to a bed and calling him a slut when that is exactly what he wants me to do doesn't cut it as "harm" in my book. BDSM doesn't always include pain. It can be all restraints and power play.

When I whip out the n****e clamps, that's where it gets tricky. wink
Denotatively, harm is mental and/or physical damage.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:42 am
Illiezeulette... it was a critical thinking exercise for redwolfshadow. sweatdrop

Ummm... was that description of what BDSM is and isn't for my benefit?  

TeaDidikai

aoijea23487

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:32 pm
TeaDidikai
Illiezeulette... it was a critical thinking exercise for redwolfshadow. sweatdrop

Ummm... was that description of what BDSM is and isn't for my benefit?

THIS IS NOT A PUN: I know, but I just couldn't restrain myself from answering. And I suck at putting the quotes where they should go. I will edit edit edit. The description was not for you, but for the other.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:27 am
Illiezeulette

THIS IS NOT A PUN: I know, but I just couldn't restrain myself from answering.
~wince~  

TeaDidikai

Synnthetika

5,400 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:44 pm
I read the ordeals thread and thought my comment would best be suited here, but it really kind of addresses this thread and the other.

I have been involved, as a legal adult, in the BDSM community for 2 years. I have been reading about, been "around," and have engaged in BDSM since I became sexually active at 16, so 4 years. I am by no means an expert.

While there are concepts such as RACK (risk-aware consensual kink) and SSC (safe, sane consensual), I think that whenever, wherever you engage in BDSM activities you need to approach it with the same respect and responsibility you would approach any other sexual encounter. Sex leads to pregnancy; those who do not wish to get pregnant typically, with some exception, take some kind of precaution. While I think it would be unfair to assume a solid cause-effect with BDSM and some other type of "effect," I think that it is fair to say that irresponsible BDSM can lead to a plethora of unhealthiness. Be this phyiscal unhealth as in tying knots around the wrists too tight for too long or emotional unhealth leading to co-dependency and emotional abuse.

I am not going to speak on the nature of Paganism as a whole since I 1) think it might be impossible to do so [insofar as speak about Paganism as a whole] and 2) am not an authority on any tradition, including my own. If one is to mix their spiritual/religious practices with BDSM, I think it should be done with respect. One of the first questions one might ask themselves should be along the lines of "Why do I want to mix my tradtion with BDSM"? I love BDSM, yay BDSM. I love being Asatru and the Aesir and Vanir, go Aesir and Vanir! I, myself, while I think sex can have a very legitimate place in Heathenry, don't feel like I need to practice sex within my tradition. If you, as a person who is wanting to combine the two, can find a reason, is it a good reason? Does it violate the primary sources from which your tradition is drawn/created/exists? The next question should be "Who do I trust?" I say this kind of tentatively, as this thought is kind of vague, but I essentially mean: Who, within your spiritual/social community, do you trust enough to go to them and talk to them about these ideas you have? If they are a spiritual leader, they can help you out. If they are simply another member of your community, they can help you test your ideas and see if they are sane or not. BDSM gets a bad rap because of too many people not asking questions about a questionable practice, at least in my experiences. (I still have issues with the idea of sexual bloodletting, but there are circumstances in which I think it might be acceptable. I freely admit part of this reservation is due to my personal mental history.)

Anyway, once you have some clear distinctions made, go for it, but be mindful. I do not blot just for the sake of blotting (I'm not sure if this is a word, I apologize). I blot on specific days for a specific purpose. I don't think people have sex just for the sake of sex either; even if you are just having sex to have pleasure or contact with another person, that is still a purpose.

I'm not going to go into the legality or even definitions of "consensual" because I don't know them in enough detail to comment really. However, I will say this: if someone is not able to consent, then it isn't consent. If someone was, at one point, able to consent and is no longer able to, it, morally, is no longer consent.

[I have to leave, I may elaborate more later or at least give it some conclusion.]  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:06 pm
I'm just letting you all know that I'm still here and alive, just not active on Gaia because I had a death in the family and since then have been very "blah" so I'll eventually come back and read posts when I feel better. smile  

Sam Oaken Willow 17

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:19 pm
Sam Oaken Willow 17
I'm just letting you all know that I'm still here and alive, just not active on Gaia because I had a death in the family and since then have been very "blah" so I'll eventually come back and read posts when I feel better. smile

i'm very sorry to hear that. i hope that you heal soon.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff