Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Wolffy-Silver

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:08 am
Ninja509
well did you know cocker spaniels actully have a worse temperment then
the this lovable breed. Infact in england there considerd the nanny dog.
so..Don't worry pits are the sweetest and I rember when I was little always
puting my hand in my neighbors pits mouth playing dentist or heck even sitting on its back trust me if you train them right the perfect dog. ; )
"Chase faded days with eyes that cannot see I wanna feel it again washing over me
User Image

Pits were the nanny dog of the US during both world wars. google image them and you will find black and white photos of pits chilling in cribs WITH the infants.

Anywho. Pits are dog aggressive usually. it's been bred into them as much as human aggression has been bred OUT. if a pit bites someone it's because they are VERY hyped up and pissed off. No dog will attack unless they feel provoked. Someone I talked to about pits here on gaia said that she would leave small children unattended with a pit bull but never other dogs.

The bite you mentioned probably occurred because the guy reached for the dog so fast that the pit didn't have time to see that it was his owner who was reaching for him. and during a dog fight reaching for a dog, be it chihuahua or pit, well it's just stupid.

I have a pit bull myself and she, like every other dog her breed that's been brought up well enough will ALWAYS be the most disgusting lap dogs you will ever meet. Her only goal in life is to squish you with luff and maybe nom a tire. And she will do everything she can to accomplish that.

I shall leave you with this bit of advice. Don't believe everything you hear about pits. I can almost guarantee you that every bit of bad press is a lie. I could even refer you to several friendly web sites that have a lot of info about all the misinformation about pits.
Acquaint yourself with the breed. blaugh they are such loves!

Myth V Fact
http://www.realpitbull.com/myths.html

User Image

Discover all of you one moment at a time. Taste, smell, secret cell, your soul it touches mine."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:22 pm
Like said, Pitbulls are one of THE best breeds out there. And I hate that they aren't allowed in some places or in certain homes or apartments. Anyone who has never owned a pit before is missing out, and they are completely biased if they believe the dog is a bad breed.

I own a pitbull, and he is the sweetest thing in the world. He wouldn't harm a fly. When my other dog, Storm, had found baby rabbits in the backyard, she was the one to start hurting them. He chased her down and was crying and whimpering, trying to protect the other baby rabbits. Then he barked loudly to get our attention. We managed to save one of the rabbits, but the other two died. We wouldn't have saved any of them if it weren't for him.

The only reason pitbulls are treated so badly is because of their history. People hear that others have made a lot of money out of fighting the dogs and get greedy. Before you know it you have a total sweetie turn into a big, aggressive monster. And it is NEVER their fault.

And all animals can be aggressive. One of my ferrets bit my arm and drew blood, only because her previous owners treated her horribly. And it's no different with pitbulls.

Xxxmy toxic valentinexxX

Gun Moth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:02 am
Your Green Bandit
Alright so, I have nothing against pit bulls. I find them a bit cute.
But, are they really that dangerous?
The reason I'm asking this, is because I just saw on the news that this pit bull started attacking this man's dogs, then bit his hand badly.
The owner was given a ticket, but they might "destroy" the dog, (they actually said destroy on the news).
Is this right? What's your opinion?
EDIT: This was in a dog park.

Firstly, this entire thread is WRONG. Everyone in it is WRONG. Except for Wolffy Silver. D,:

PIT BULL JAWS DO NOT LOCK!!!!! THIS IS A MYTH. Pits are very determined and have strong will power. They have a lot of muscle. They do not have special jaw-locking abilities. That is ridiculous even from a biological stand point.

Pit bulls are bred for dog aggression. They should NOT be in dog parks. This isn't because Pits are prone to attacking every dog they see. In fact, I have a pit and another dog living under the same roof. It's because if anything does happen, for example, if someone else's dog attacks someone's Pit bull, the Pit bull will most likely get the blame some way or another. Pit bulls already have bad press. By taking the correct measures and socializing them in controlled environments we can raise happy, healthy pits.

I am against dog parks. Dog parks are terrible. All of them. The Devil. confused

A lot of people will hit their dogs whenever they bark at things outside in order to "train it out of them". This is the biggest mistake any dog owner can ever make. By teaching a dog that barking is wrong, you're teaching them that their first line of defense is not good. By doing this, you'll cause your dog to resort to it's last line of defense, biting.

Hence "A barking dog never bites".

It is possible the owner of this dog had trained it poorly and was abusive.

Every pit I have ever met has tried to attack my face.

With kisses.

Including mai babeh. ;o  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:07 pm
In my opinion, it's how the dog is raised and treated. Poeple think pit bulls are evil just because they are the dogs that poeple use for dog fighting, but, in truth, the dogs don't have a choice whether to fight or not. It's the owners that make them by beating them, stuffing terrible smelling things up there noses, and other horrible things.

Pits aren't dangerous, unless the owners make them dangerous. All dog can be aggressive. Hey, my friend got bitten by a lad-poodle mix. The breed doesn't make them aggressive, the way they are treated does.

I love pit bulls, they are my favorite breed in the entire world. But, if they aren't trained right they will get aggressive. I foster homed a dog once and I have a pit. The tow got alone fine and my pit didn't show a sign of aggression.

All pit bulls I have met have run to me and licked me to death!  

Memories in the Mist

Angel Nicholson

7,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:27 pm
My mother always told me love was a bullshit emotion that only fools and dreamers believed in...
User ImageUser ImageUser Image

A friend of mine had a pitbull and she was the sweetest thing. She was like a little puppy. She'd had the personality of a border collie.
She was adorable.

User ImageUser Image
...so she told me to be the fool with a dream...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:13 pm
Okay, first of all.
That was very stupid for the owner to try physically breaking up a dog fight.
Just. DON'T DO THAT.
It doesn't matter what breed. =/

Anywho.
Pits are super sweet and lovable if trained correctly. <3
And obviously, the training is a lot more intense than with other breeds.
Pit bulls were breed to be more aggressive.
You can't deny that.
Still, the aggression can be directed elsewhere.
yet owners should still be cautious anywho and not take a pit bull's admirable strength and tenacity for granted.

flauterfli

Gekko

3,700 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Timid 100

XxDiscoxDinoxX

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:17 pm
i like animals and dogs and everything but pit bulls r a major fail. i think they should be "destroyed". 5 people a year die by pit bulls
maybe not all pit bulls but if it attacks someon its going to do it again most likely so if it attacks someone definitly destroy it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:45 pm
people cant deny that these dogs have been bred for hundreds of years to kill, and you cant change that with love and care. My neighbor had a lab mix with a trace of pit. and by trace i mean it was only recognizable in the forehead line. there was no abuse, the dog was healthy and well excersised, and loved. She attacked the man and almost killed their terrier, unprovoked. Some pits have good temperment for a while but they're unpredictable.  

Sora Nightwhisper

Femme Autobot Crescendo

Proxy Werewolf

12,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:52 pm
There was a Pi Bull around our neighborhood. She was SO sweet. Called her 'GoodDog', because..well, the name stuck. We would give her bones and she would be so happy, and whenever she got happy, her tail would wag so hard that she would shake.

@XxDiscoxDinoxX
What is with you? No animal should be 'Destroyed'! Frankly, the human race has destroyed enough animals unintentionally. Do we really want to start messing up MORE?

Actually, Pit Bulls aren't the most aggressive. It's a common misconception.

A lot of dog attacks are aggrivated. I don't think I need to remind you of a man named Micheal Vick? Are THOSE dogs responsible for their behavior? No.

I'm not sure why Pit Bulls get the bad rep, after all, Cujo was a St. Bernard.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:19 pm
i agree with everyone who said that it just depends on how you raise a dog.. i mean think about it, any dog that you treat badly will do something bad to someone or sonething. so if you just treat the dog right, itll be the best dog ever!!  

Xxcrimson_night_lightxX

Femme Autobot Crescendo

Proxy Werewolf

12,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:26 pm
Xxcrimson_night_lightxX
i agree with everyone who said that it just depends on how you raise a dog.. i mean think about it, any dog that you treat badly will do something bad to someone or sonething. so if you just treat the dog right, itll be the best dog ever!!

That, and some animals have tempers, but one example does not make up the entire breed.

It's the same thing with cats. Everyone assumes they're 'aloof' and 'mean'. No, they're just very proud animals...like Hyppogriffs.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:09 pm
XxDiscoxDinoxX
i like animals and dogs and everything but pit bulls r a major fail. i think they should be "destroyed". 5 people a year die by pit bulls
maybe not all pit bulls but if it attacks someon its going to do it again most likely so if it attacks someone definitly destroy it.

How many of those dogs were actually pit bulls? How many were actually Staffies or Cane Corsos or even, I kid you not, Jack Russel Terriers. http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html

And do you honestly realize that 5 people isn't that many? Do you realize that more people die from guns, drugs, cars, sharks, WATER, even plugs then that? What on earth leads you to believe this media-filled crap is truth and should be #1 in all things? Go read a book.

@Sora: Only by the forehead line? Do you realize how many dogs have that? Far too many for you to make such assumptions willy-nilly. I'm honestly disgusted at the amount of ignorance in your post. They're bred to kill OTHER DOGS. OTHER DOGS. OTHER DOGS. I'm not even going to bother with the rest of your post. Do some research and do your homework.  

Azusanga

Poofta

Malevolent Sex Symbol

8,550 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:35 pm
Femme Autobot Crescendo
There was a Pi Bull around our neighborhood. She was SO sweet. Called her 'GoodDog', because..well, the name stuck. We would give her bones and she would be so happy, and whenever she got happy, her tail would wag so hard that she would shake.

@XxDiscoxDinoxX
What is with you? No animal should be 'Destroyed'! Frankly, the human race has destroyed enough animals unintentionally. Do we really want to start messing up MORE?

Actually, Pit Bulls aren't the most aggressive. It's a common misconception.

A lot of dog attacks are aggrivated. I don't think I need to remind you of a man named Micheal Vick? Are THOSE dogs responsible for their behavior? No.

I'm not sure why Pit Bulls get the bad rep, after all, Cujo was a St. Bernard.

^
I agree.

Pit Bulls aren't even the most aggressive breed.

In fact, the daschund is, and that's one mean little b*****d. D<

No breed should ever be 'destroyed'. It's how the owner trains the dog, and it's sad that some animals have to pay the price for their stupid mistakes.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:18 am
*points to sig... again*

How many people die in car crashes A DAY? More people are killed by lightning strikes every year than by dog attacks,and pits comprise only a small fraction of those. Even the ones blamed on pits, aren't necessarily. Authorities mix up dog breeds ALL THE TIME. Recently, a purebred, AKC registered Shiba Inu dog got out of his owner's yard. Animal Control picked him up, then RELEASED him outside of city limits because they thought he was a coyote. This was a perfectly mannered and trained, AKC registered dog. And they thought he was a coyote. Animal control officers. What makes you think someone being bitten by a dog is going to be able to accurately identify the "breed" (by the way, "Pit bull" isn't techincally a breed, but a classification of a collection of breeds... but that's besides the point)

It is undeniable that the pit bull breed was designed to be powerful. They were originally bred for baiting BULLS.

Pit Bulls are bred to be ANIMAL aggressive, not human aggressive. They were bred so that an owner would be able to step into a fighting ring and grab his dog off the other animal without the dog attacking him. Sick, I know, but that's what they were bred for, and in some areas, that's what they're still bred for in some places.

Responsible Pit Bull owners know that a dog park is not an appropriate place for a pit. There are too many factors that can get out of control. Pits are inherently protective, and will occasionally attack another DOG in perceived defense of their owner. The owner of the other dog will then get bit when they try to get involved and break up the fight.

Pits are powerful dogs. They're also intelligent dogs. They're dogs that need a job. If they're not properly trained, they can become destructive and problematic (NOT aggressive. They'll just eat your couch).

Another interesting statistic to examine is the owners of dogs responsible for dog-bite fatalities. In almost every case, the owner is a hermit-like borderline sociopath. The dog has received zero socialization or training.

TL;DR

Don't listen to horror stories. Do your research before you condemn something that has been considered an American family icon for the past century.  

AriaStarSong

Ramcee

Premium Grabber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:07 am
XxDiscoxDinoxX

WARNING- LONG POST AHEAD.

If the reason they should be "destroyed" is because they attack people and other dogs, then all dogs should be destroyed. If you love dogs so much, do you want all breeds terminated?
Didn't think so.

I had 2 Lab/German Shepard mixes. One of them, Sirius, was a very active dog. Though he never attacked a person, he would aggressively attack his brother, Orion. I have blood stains on my wall from one fight. Did we kill him? No. He attacked and killed my sister's kitten. Did we kill him then? No. We gave him to people that we knew would take good care of him because after the kitten incident my sister couldn't stand to look at him anymore. We still have Orion, though.
When I was about 4, my mom got a dumpster puppy. When I was five, he bit half of my top lip off. We don't know what breed he was, but he wasn't a pit bull. I still have a scar. I kind of deserved it, though. I provoked him. He hid under my mom's bed for 3 days, so we knew he was sorry. When he finally came out he about licked me to death because he didn't mean to do it, it was instinct. We didn't kill him. Actually, we gave him to the no-kill shelter when he got too big for our apartment about 2 years later. I think he became a police dog, IDK.
At the same time, we were taking care of a dog for someone for about a year. He was a terrier I think? I kicked him accidentally in my sleep and he bit my ankle. After that he licked my face, though.
I had a pit bull mix, and she was the sweetest thing. She never attacked anyone. Not even other dogs (well, once she did but it wasn't really bad).

There are tons of other more aggressive breeds. The reason they attack is because that's what they were bred to do, and it'll take a long time to breed it out. Not even all of them are aggressive.

TONS more people die from TONS more things a year. If you want them "destroyed" because 5 people a year are killed by them (and I bet in that total more breeds kill people as well), then we should ban driving, electricity, water, smoking.... need I go on?

ALSO~ If I got a pit bull, I wouldn't take him/her to the dog park. They are more likely than some others to be aggressive towards other dogs, and better to be safe than sorry. But I would do the same with other more aggressive breed dogs. But would I kill them if they did attack another dog? Never. I've only had one dog put to sleep in my life, and that was because she'd had cancer for 8 years and we were putting her out of her misery. I don't think it's right to kill dogs, but we didn't want to watch her die, especially when she was in so much pain. The vet was right, it was the best thing to do. She's in a better place now, and she's not in pain anymore. I've watched quite a few animals die, and I would never kill one just because they were aggressive.  
13. ✿ - - - Animals And Nature

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff