Tamora Pierce Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 12 13 14 15 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

LamingtonQueen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:07 pm
NightIntent
Well, I don't really like Aly, even after having read most of Tamora Pierce's books.

Which reminds me. Anyone read Young Warriors? I saw it on the bookshelf when I got The Will of the Empress, but two hardcovers in one day was more than enough. But I will, eventually, read that book, just to be able to say I've read every single book that Tamora Pierce has written that I know about. Before those two came out, I really could claim that. Even if I can't remember what went on in most of the Circle books. n.n"

No, I haven't read it sad I'm still looking for the first few Circle books... they used to be everywhere and now there's only the Will of the Empress.

Speaking of new books... has anyone else seen the new covers for the Alanna series? (the recent publishing after those god-awful Picasso-looking things gonk ) I think they look kind of awesome... makes me wish we hadn't already bought a spiffy boxset a few years ago ninja  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:36 pm
I don't really like the new covers. For any of the books. I prefer the covers on the ones I bought. They're nice. I need to check if my school library has any of the Tamora Pierce books I don't have. ...I was there today, why didn't I think to look. Stupid worrying about book talks. Oh, well, I have plenty of time.  

NightIntent
Captain

isidar_mithram

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:53 am
I love Aly's character as well and I also prefered Trickster's Queen. But My favorite series is Song of the Lioness. The first series I read, Circle of Magic, was great and really pulled me into fantasy books so I'll always love them. I don't really like the Circle Opens simply because I don't like how they wer split and it all seemed to go along the same lines. Will of the Empress irked me a little but it was good too.

I don't like how they made new covers for them - what were they thinking? I try to horde my money now and buy every old cover Tamora Pierce book I can get my hands on. You won't believe how hard that is. I found some good condition ones in a library sale though and they weere only like 20 cents so that was good. And I can't find ANY of the old Circle of Magic ones. There's only Will of the Empress and I got that one with a birthday book voucher..  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:36 pm
You know... I've been reading the PotS recently... and has anyone noticed that Tamora Pierce has a seriously bad habit of random name-dropping? ESPECIALLY in the Tricker series. It's not so bad in the Immortals on because it's fair enough for Jonathan, Thayet, George and Alanna to all be prominent... but in PotS they bring in EVERYONE ever mentioned in the previous two series, and then in Trickers they mention everyone in the previous 3 series. I mean, I understand why she does it - people are curious what happened to characters and it adds some depth to the world - but sometimes when I read it, it just irks me for some reason... OOooooh well. /rant  

LamingtonQueen

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:07 am
Yeah, I did notice that. I don't mind it with Raoul in Protector of the Small, because he does become an important character. But the king is in there maybe a total of ten times, Daine just seems to be there to heal Kel's foundling animals, Numair is in it hardly at all, and Tkaa's a teacher. I would've liked it better if it was like the Immortals series, with all the characters from previous series mentioned actually doing something and becoming important. I could understand mentioning them in passing (Kel listened as a servant gossiped about two unmarried people (they are unmarried as of yet in this one, aren't they?), the Wildmage and Numair Salmalin, living together. Scandalous, they called it.) or somethnig like that, but she actually meets them and then hardly ever sees them again. Kinda disappointing.

Trickster's Choice I can understand it. She's in a different country, how would any of the other, older characters be able to help her? And seeing them in dreams supposedly comforted Aly, it made a bit of sense. But it just ate up pages, and seemed a bit useless to me there, too. I dunno, it is nice to know what's happening to the older characters, but she could find some other way to show us what's happening.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:17 pm
Tamora Pierce was my favorite fantasy author when I was younger. I loved The Song of the Lioness and The Immortals. I got into Protector of the Small as they were being published, so I have the first two books in paperback and the second two in hardcover. sweatdrop I didn't really enjoy Lady Knight. I don't remember why, it's been years since I read it... but I didn't think it was a very satisfying read. confused I never got into Trickster's Choice, either. I started it twice and couldn't finish. I don't know if it's because I've grown out of her books, or because her writing has gotten worse. I did read the Circle of Magic books and enjoyed them, but only got halfway through The Circle Opens. Sigh. I just don't know what to think.  

binaryfaerie

Sparkly Fairy

Orange Blossom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:08 am
~<The Heir of Slytherin...
Trickster's Choice is the only Tamora Pierce book I've read. I really liked it. But since I borrowed it from a friend, I never got around to reading any of the others. I feel kinda weird reading them though, because I don't think I'm in the recommended age range for those books anymore. I don't shop in the young adult section of Barnes and Noble or Borders. sweatdrop
...has arrived!>~

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:10 am
Please, the people at both stores know me by name... sweatdrop  

Claudia de Lenfent

jaythenerdkid

5,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:35 pm
NightIntent
Well, I don't really like Aly, even after having read most of Tamora Pierce's books.

Which reminds me. Anyone read Young Warriors? I saw it on the bookshelf when I got The Will of the Empress, but two hardcovers in one day was more than enough. But I will, eventually, read that book, just to be able to say I've read every single book that Tamora Pierce has written that I know about. Before those two came out, I really could claim that. Even if I can't remember what went on in most of the Circle books. n.n"

|~*^.[Jay].^*~|

::Has not read Young Warriors - in fact, did not know that it existed::

|~*^.[Shadow was here].^*~|

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:44 pm
I think it's a set of short stories out by Tamora Pierce. But I didn't take the time to read the front cover. I could check online somewhere... but I'm too lazy.  

NightIntent
Captain

Sileny

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:13 pm
I've read--and own--all her books except her newest, and I love them all. Maybe it's her penchant for strong female characters. I like to write fantasy stories, and that's how my female characters usually turn out, so that's probably why I like her so much.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:52 am
heart I have only read her Song of the Liones series, but it was Awesome! I used to write alot, and she really inspired me. I havent read any of her other books though, so does anybody have recommendations? heart  

lil_princess_peapod

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:13 pm
lil_princess_peapod
heart I have only read her Song of the Liones series, but it was Awesome! I used to write alot, and she really inspired me. I havent read any of her other books though, so does anybody have recommendations? heart

The Immrotals quartet. It's my avorite series by her, hands down. Protector of the Small is fairly good, too. I also like the Winding Circle and the Circle Opens quartets, though they're not placed in Tortall. The Circle Opens wasn't as good as Winding Circle, in my opinion.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:08 pm
i have read all of her books but i only like the tortall series. i dont like the Circle of Magic ones that much and i haven't read her new one called Terrier  

KyoLuvsCats

Tiny Shapeshifter

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:14 pm
KyoLuvsCats
i have read all of her books but i only like the tortall series. i dont like the Circle of Magic ones that much and i haven't read her new one called Terrier

That one's out already? I thought it was coming out later this year or next year or something. Off to check!

Edit: Yeah, Terrier comes out late this year. Scheduled for October, according to Tamora Pierce's website. And I really want to read that one. It sounds interesting.  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 12 13 14 15 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff