Reply The Music Artists Guild
does anyone use their real voices anymore Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

lordofthecows

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:30 am
Yeah, autotune is retarded. It can be used to add a specific sound to your voice (IE Life After Love by Cher), but using it because you can't hold a pitch is quite poser-ish.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:25 am
A B Up Start
i think its only acceptable in electronic music genres.

I disagree. Metal and Pop has shown that, although not to everyone's tastes - doing something different with the vocals can make for something interesting, unique and fresh.  

StudioGilliam

Old Fashion Cliche

Handsome Genius

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:51 am
StudioGilliam
A B Up Start

I disagree. Metal and Pop has shown that, although not to everyone's tastes - doing something different with the vocals can make for something interesting, unique and fresh.

but more and more there are "musicians" that actually lack any sort of musical ability  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:55 pm
On This Night
StudioGilliam
A B Up Start

but more and more there are "musicians" that actually lack any sort of musical ability

That's not really very specific.

In the pop and R'n'B genre, yes. But then, those genres are only there to make money on telling us what Simon Cowel thinks we should listen to.

And while in my opinion, Metal has seen better days (Thanks, Emo/Screamo/Scene kids), there are still bands making it happen.

Alternative and underground music scenes do still have talent, also.  

StudioGilliam

StudioGilliam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:56 pm
Also, just because an artist has altered they're voice in some way, it doesn't mean they've no talent.

But it's all down to opinion and tastes, really.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:58 pm
lordofthecows
Yeah, autotune is retarded. It can be used to add a specific sound to your voice (IE Life After Love by Cher), but using it because you can't hold a pitch is quite poser-ish.

I'll agree with that. It's actually used a hell of a lot in Pop music - not in the way Cher used it - but to disguise poor vocal performances.  

StudioGilliam

A B Up Start

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:44 pm
StudioGilliam
lordofthecows

I'll agree with that. It's actually used a hell of a lot in Pop music - not in the way Cher used it - but to disguise poor vocal performances.

point of this whole thread. i saw this never shout never wannabe on myspace and i liked this one song, but the vocals were so processed you had no clue what his real voice sounded like  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:55 am
A B Up Start
StudioGilliam
lordofthecows

point of this whole thread. i saw this never shout never wannabe on myspace and i liked this one song, but the vocals were so processed you had no clue what his real voice sounded like

Oh, Jebus. I'm sorry. I thought you were originally talking about vocal effects to make the sounds unique, rather than covering up problems.

Sorry, dude - I got the wrong end of the stick.

Well, in that case, yeah. It does suck muchly. Some people want to be singers so badly that they don't want to spend the time and money on actually learning to sing.

Of course, that means they're screwed when they play live, unless they're good at lip syncing -which I'm completely against. I mean, you may as well buy the album instead.  

StudioGilliam

lordofthecows

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:56 pm
StudioGilliam
A B Up Start
StudioGilliam
lordofthecows

Oh, Jebus. I'm sorry. I thought you were originally talking about vocal effects to make the sounds unique, rather than covering up problems.

Well, in that case, yeah. It does suck muchly. Some people want to be singers so badly that they don't want to spend the time and money on actually learning to sing.

Of course, that means they're screwed when they play live, unless they're good at lip syncing -which I'm completely against. I mean, you may as well buy the album instead.
And most newer bands do suck live, for that reason. Mostly all these knew "punk" bands, almost all of them sound terrible live. I think they sound terrible on the track anyway, but that's for different reasons. 3nodding
The last sentence was just my opinion, not to offend anyone that really does like that music.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:14 am
lordofthecows
StudioGilliam
A B Up Start
StudioGilliam
lordofthecows

And most newer bands do suck live, for that reason. Mostly all these knew "punk" bands, almost all of them sound terrible live. I think they sound terrible on the track anyway, but that's for different reasons. 3nodding
The last sentence was just my opinion, not to offend anyone that really does like that music.

Yeah, punk bands... When I was in school, a friend said to me that he was starting a punk band and wanted to find someone who had an instrument but didn't know how to play it.

He was saying that to play in a punk band, you have to be completely unable to play anything, which I thought was very funny. And true in a lot of cases!  

StudioGilliam

Old Fashion Cliche

Handsome Genius

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:20 pm
le gasp. i love the little bit thats left of the punk genre.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:32 am
I miss real punk.  

lordofthecows

xXHopless RomanceXx

6,700 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:13 am
A B Up Start

Agreed. Owl City at least does it well. Artists like Ke$ha need to just go away. If you have to use auto-tune to sound good, then you shouldn't be in the music business.

There are plenty of artists that do well without auto-tune. Mika, is a good example of that. He was trained to sing opera, so he never needs auto tune to hit those signature high-notes of his.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:48 pm
i hate it when people alter their voices to sound better. i really liked taylor swift but then i heard her sing live and i was like oh well that sounds different!! its really annoying, but idk if its only some times but i heard amy lee from evanescence sing live once and she sounded like the cd so she might not.  

Arc En Licorne

5,300 Points
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100

alexandria rose thorn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:57 pm
Some times people use there real voices. I do.  
The Music Artists Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff