Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Llama's Sketchbook. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Vena

5,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:07 pm
User Image

You have a lot of form problems, mainly you need to allocate space for muscle mass and skeletal anatomy. Even if she is slender she needs space for a bum! Shoulders are usually a good indication of the width of the hips.

With her arm holding the apple, remember to try the pose yourself. When I raise something to my face I keep my elbow down and tuck the forearm closer to my body. If you are having trouble figuring out a pose, take note of how the body parts you are describing are in relation to the rest of the body, such as the elbow coming midway through the ribcage.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:46 pm
Kiss me goodbye, I'm defying gravity.

Thanks so much D:

The only thing I've really looked at is skeletal anatomy, and as you can tell I skimped on that even sweatdrop

User Image----- Angelic Minis: 500k/80mil----User Image

MarianasLlama

6,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Consumer 100
  • Full closet 200

MarianasLlama

6,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Consumer 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:39 pm

-Struggles with guinea pig-

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 12:54 pm

Finished the drawing (: Now working on another giant animal one. I like Giant animals all of the sudden. xD

MarianasLlama

6,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Consumer 100
  • Full closet 200

MarianasLlama

6,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Consumer 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:39 pm

ninja

User Image----- Angelic Minis: 2.5mil/80mil----User Image

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:45 pm

New WIP User Image

MarianasLlama

6,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Consumer 100
  • Full closet 200

zathraya

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:43 pm
A very nice start for a work in progress. 3nodding

I'm not the best at anatomy with children but I have noticed one thing that bothers me a bit. The nose The line in the middle is somewhat distracting for me. I'm not entirely sure what it's there for. confused Oh and the feet seem to not be making contact with the ground. What I mean is they don't seem to be touching the earth at the same time. There seems to be no pressure on the right foot (your left). Am I making any sense? sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:41 pm

The nose line would be my shitty scanner.

&Yeah, i had problems with the feet xD Mrs. Lovett shoes are all very...adult like, and I didn't want to take away from the innocence of a child, so I pretty much did nothing with the feet from the way that I blocked them out at the start. Which I need to fix, I just want to figure out how to do Mrs. Lovett shoes while leaving ehr innocent looking...

It's mostly done, except for the feet really. the scanner makes it look a LOT more sketchy than it actually is. It's a lot more smooth and...finished looking in real life xD

MarianasLlama

6,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Consumer 100
  • Full closet 200

zathraya

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:15 pm
Hmmm I've been looking through pictures and I believe that the feet should be smaller and more pudgy looking (they have rounder feet -going around the foot- than adults and older children). I'm guessing the girl is from ages 3-5 and for some reason children's feet seem rather small. Or at least less elongated.

As for the boots, perhaps if you made them smaller and indicated baby fat on the legs that might work.

Yeah scanners can suck sometimes. xp Mine sucks too, so I can take you're word on it. biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:40 am
User Image
I've gotten over it over and over again

Latest Sketches: (Links to the dA because my file sizes are huge and therefore take AGES to upload with photobucket) (Newest to oldest) (Most effort, to least effort XDD)

1 This one has a weird shaped head, and GOD DAMN THOSE ARMS. I hate arms.
2 This one I think is just really stiff looking in general D; And really rough looking, because it was a sketchysketcksketch
3 This one I thought there were problems with giving her a center of gravity/making it seem like she's not floating?

Redlines on all of these are SUPERDUPERDUPER appreciated. And just awesome C&C <3

User Image----- Angelic Minis: 5mil/TOO MUCH----User Image

MarianasLlama

6,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Consumer 100
  • Full closet 200

MarianasLlama

6,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Consumer 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:32 pm
User Image

And now my current WIP

User Image

The arms. Stupid arms. his elbows are bent towards the viewer a little bit, but I can't get that to portray quite right. his arms just look too short right now D:<

Redlines = <3
And for all fellow Zelda fans out there I've already added the clothing detail that's missing and fixed the flawed neckline of the tunic etc. so don't get your panties in a bunch xD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:16 am
I recommend looking into gesture work right now. What I see is a stiff pose that could be a whole lot more dramatic (and dynamic). It's not a problem of not knowing anatomy or whatever else, you just need to learn to exaggerate a bit more.

Here's a good resource I found:
>clickie<

Fixing the action lines of your work will help GREATLY, even if you're not going for a cartoon effect. You can always tone it down later if you think it's overdone.

Another tip for doing an action shot... use perspective to your advantage! Yes, it's more difficult to do this, but it can really help bring things to a new level. You want Link to show off how strong and cool he is? This is a good way to go about it.

But yeah, first work on getting the action line stuff down.

Some other fun images to look at that might help you:
http://themushroomkingdom.net/images/mlss/mlss_luigi-hammer.jpg
http://www.themarriedgamers.net/wp/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/mlss_mario-hammer.jpg

Also... if you need more reference material, you should try playing a fighting game (Zelda works), watch an action movie, or watch some old cartoons.

Good luck!  

Syrella
Crew

7,900 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100

MarianasLlama

6,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Consumer 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:01 am
syrella
I recommend looking into gesture work right now. What I see is a stiff pose that could be a whole lot more dramatic (and dynamic). It's not a problem of not knowing anatomy or whatever else, you just need to learn to exaggerate a bit more.

Here's a good resource I found:
>clickie<

Fixing the action lines of your work will help GREATLY, even if you're not going for a cartoon effect. You can always tone it down later if you think it's overdone.

Another tip for doing an action shot... use perspective to your advantage! Yes, it's more difficult to do this, but it can really help bring things to a new level. You want Link to show off how strong and cool he is? This is a good way to go about it.

But yeah, first work on getting the action line stuff down.

Some other fun images to look at that might help you:
http://themushroomkingdom.net/images/mlss/mlss_luigi-hammer.jpg
http://www.themarriedgamers.net/wp/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/mlss_mario-hammer.jpg

Also... if you need more reference material, you should try playing a fighting game (Zelda works), watch an action movie, or watch some old cartoons.

Good luck!

User Image

Ohh okay.
I redlined my own image, but I only have the touchpad on my macbook to use so it's a bit off/shaky. (Is there a way to help shaky lines? I'd love to be able to draw with my touchpad *o*)

User Image

Is that better? Should I go even further with it? (How would I push it even further?)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:03 am
Well, you're gonna have to play with it. Like I said, try doing some gesture sketches while watching something action-y. Preferably something you can pause. It'll take some getting used to and it'll also not come out looking perfectly at first. But, it should help in the long run.

As another example, here's something I made for you:
User Image

Forgive the crappy anatomy and messiness. Haha. I tried. I'm supposed to be studying right now, anyhow.  

Syrella
Crew

7,900 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100

MarianasLlama

6,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Consumer 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:12 am
syrella
Well, you're gonna have to play with it. Like I said, try doing some gesture sketches while watching something action-y. Preferably something you can pause. It'll take some getting used to and it'll also not come out looking perfectly at first. But, it should help in the long run.

As another example, here's something I made for you:
User Image

Forgive the crappy anatomy and messiness. Haha. I tried. I'm supposed to be studying right now, anyhow.

User Image

Ohh, okay.
This was very helpful, thank you so much (: <3
I was a little scared of changing it too much and having him look silly, but I can see how much better it looks now 0.0 <33

I will definitely remember the 'action line' thing for next time too (:

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas