Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Authors to avoid?? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Accurate?
  Yes.
  No.
  I'm not sure..
  I just want gold :)
View Results

AvalonAuggie

4,050 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:46 pm
To my knowledge Starhawk would be on that list because she is often radical in her ideas, and the fact that she takes a very feminist spin on Paganism. She's a great author, but if there's somthing about Starhawk I'd avoid it's the assumption that her feminist witchcraft tradition is actual traditional Wicca. because it's not.

Cabot....kinda scares me. I haven't really read a lot of her stuff, but she does seem very publicity-oriented, and I get pissed off when anyone actually talks about witchcraft in Salem, acts as the "Official Witch of Salem," et cetera, because the Salem witch trials had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with "witchcraft" as Laurie Cabot or Silver Ravenwolf or even Gardner define it. Using that location and its history to pimp out your merchandise and your brand of modern paganism is quite frankly an insult to those 19 people who died as a result of the trials.

that's like...it's like Madonna talking about the Holocaust to promote her little watered-down, celebrity-oriented version of "Kaballah."  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:01 pm
Gavin and Yvonne Frost are authors of Good Witches Bible which is a highly controversial book. In it they describe a ritual of a father making a phallus for his daughter (aged 12) and showing her how to use it and then offering her up to his High Priest for sexual intercourse as an initiation. ... now I find this repulsive and horrific though I have heard that they have improved in later years and are not recommending such acts anymore. I admit I haven't read any of their other books being a bit shell shocked from that one. I have heard a lot of people singing their praises though and I wouldn't mind some more information.  

Lotus Poem

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:10 pm
AvalonAuggie

Cabot....kinda scares me. I haven't really read a lot of her stuff, but she does seem very publicity-oriented, and I get pissed off when anyone actually talks about witchcraft in Salem, acts as the "Official Witch of Salem," et cetera, because the Salem witch trials had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with "witchcraft" as Laurie Cabot or Silver Ravenwolf or even Gardner define it. Using that location and its history to pimp out your merchandise and your brand of modern paganism is quite frankly an insult to those 19 people who died as a result of the trials.

that's like...it's like Madonna talking about the Holocaust to promote her little watered-down, celebrity-oriented version of "Kaballah."

I think the real insult would be the fact that a heathen was living in what was once a Puritan Community.

But then, said Puritans are "in heaven" and likely don't really care- for that matter, I wonder how they are getting along with the Native Americans they displaced in the afterlife.

Good marketing isn't a crime. People have to feed themselves after all.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:53 pm
TeaDidikai
quote]

I think the real insult would be the fact that a heathen was living in what was once a Puritan Community.

But then, said Puritans are "in heaven" and likely don't really care- for that matter, I wonder how they are getting along with the Native Americans they displaced in the afterlife.

puritans didn't believe they were going to heaven. they "knew" they were all going to hell except for a chosen few that were "pure". that's why they lived so pure & were hence called puritans. they hoped that they were a chosen person so they didn't want to lose the chance to go to heaven.  

wicked_faery

Fashionable Phantom

8,200 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:37 pm
wicked_faery
TeaDidikai
quote]

puritans didn't believe they were going to heaven. they "knew" they were all going to hell except for a chosen few that were "pure". that's why they lived so pure & were hence called puritans. they hoped that they were a chosen person so they didn't want to lose the chance to go to heaven.
Source for that?

I'm working largely with statements taken as record for the Witch Trials.

Edit: Yeah, actually, I looked at the statment of faith- they don't contradict the scripture or the Assertion of Faith founded and revised at CoN I & II.

Meaning- they don't believe that they are all going to hell.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:15 am
wicked_faery
TeaDidikai
quote]

I'm pretty sure that thats the Calvinists, not the puritans.  

maenad nuri
Captain

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:29 pm
Nuri
wicked_faery
TeaDidikai
quote]

I'm pretty sure that thats the Calvinists, not the puritans.

Predestination was a b***h. But even then the Calvinists asserted that it wasn't possible to know for sure who was going to make it to Heaven and who was not.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:35 pm
Dunno how good Margot Adler's scholarship is, but she does say some questionable stuff, and seems to share some of SRW less positive attitudes.

can someone advise? There's a copy of Drawing down the Moon at a local bookstore...  

Operation Shoestring

wicked_faery

Fashionable Phantom

8,200 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:50 pm
TeaDidikai
wicked_faery
TeaDidikai
quote]

Source for that?

I'm working largely with statements taken as record for the Witch Trials.

Edit: Yeah, actually, I looked at the statment of faith- they don't contradict the scripture or the Assertion of Faith founded and revised at CoN I & II.

Meaning- they don't believe that they are all going to hell.
i learned that in school while studying the puritans. so if u have a problem w/ that take it up w/ my old teacher.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:56 pm
wicked_faery
i learned that in school while studying the puritans. so if u have a problem w/ that take it up w/ my old teacher.
I'd be happy to. PM me with the name of said teacher, the name of the class, and the address of the school.  

TeaDidikai

natas_kitty420

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:55 am
On the website about books to be avoided Sivirs posted, http://www.thecrookedheath.com/bewarenf.htm, Scott Cunningham and Raymond Buckland were there. Ive read books by both of them. They dont scream FLUFF!!! to me. Can anyone explain why they might be on the list? Thanks. Even if Cunningham was an inspiration to Ravenwolf, thats not really a reason to blacklist him, is it?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:27 pm
natas_kitty420
On the website about books to be avoided Sivirs posted, http://www.thecrookedheath.com/bewarenf.htm, Scott Cunningham and Raymond Buckland were there. Ive read books by both of them. They dont scream FLUFF!!! to me. Can anyone explain why they might be on the list? Thanks. Even if Cunningham was an inspiration to Ravenwolf, thats not really a reason to blacklist him, is it?

Buckland is pretty much an eclectic, not so much a wiccan, and he mostly just wants your money anyway. He did study some wicca, but left long before he leanred the secret stuff.  

Operation Shoestring

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:33 pm
AyanamiRei
natas_kitty420

Buckland is pretty much an eclectic, not so much a wiccan, and he mostly just wants your money anyway. He did study some wicca, but left long before he leanred the secret stuff.

Oh, Buckland (As did Cunnigham) learned the mysteries. He just didn't include them in his seax-wicca.

I'm starting to get wary about the crooked heath. Robin isn't exactly my favorite of people (moreover, he's really just an a**) and his focus is on a family trad of witchcraft, not Wicca (and then only the most strict of ideas for Wicca).  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:08 pm
natas_kitty420

One of the problems with Cunningham is that what a lot of what his books are about isn't actually wicca, even though he says it is. Personally I just detest his style of writing. Any writer who gives anecdotes of scantily clad ladies twirling in the moonlight and throwing pearls into pools of water tread dangerously in the realm of fluff. His natural magic books had some decent ideas, if you could get beyond the initial "bleccch" factor. But again, those specific books are NOT WICCAN. That's a different tradition entirely.
And DJ Conway just angered me. There was nothing original or authentic in any of her books. She rehashed the same things over and over again, pretending they were different traditions. People starting out could be dangerously misled by some of her tripe.  

Pelta

crystal_raye

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:58 pm
Morrison's pretty good, imo.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items