Submit

star trek novels
  good thing
  bad thing
  holy cow there are novels!!!!!!!!!!! OoO
View Results

Doineann

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:55 am
It all depends on the author. Some are awesome, some are a complete disgrace. Then again, i's been a while since I read one.

I remember reading a Star Trek: The Next Generation/X-Men crossover years ago. If I remember correctly, it was one of the best science fiction stories I ever read. Then again, I was, like, 10 when I read it.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:29 am
Exotic Duncan
It all depends on the author. Some are awesome, some are a complete disgrace. Then again, i's been a while since I read one.

I remember reading a Star Trek: The Next Generation/X-Men crossover years ago. If I remember correctly, it was one of the best science fiction stories I ever read. Then again, I was, like, 10 when I read it.

Planet X was the name of that one and it was written by Michael Jan Friedman - one of the best ST writers around. Reunion is another good one of his. It's a TNG book, and it deals with a lot of stuff from the Jean-Luc's time on the Stargazer. It's a good book and kinda important if you want to read Death in Winter, one of the later books in the TNG relaunch. (DiW is a MUST-read for P/C fans...just a hint....)

And most authors are decent...I tend to stay away from TOS, simply because it's not my preferred era, but the crappy authors don't seem to exist in the others.

Some of the best are Peter David, Diane Duane, Judith & Garfield Reeves-Stevens, Michael Jan Friedman, S.D. Perry, David Mack, Michael A. Martin, Keith R.A. Decandido, Kristen Beyer, and Christopher L. Bennett.

Those, you can't really go wrong with, especially the first several.

Some of them - Diane Duane, in particular - have branched out into their own series. Diane Duane has her own series - The Young Wizards series - that is amazing. There are 8 books now, with the ninth one due out in April, I believe.  

YoukaiLuvr

4,400 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250

Doineann

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:08 pm
Thanks.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:26 pm
Didn't William Shatner write a Star Trek novel or two? Correct me if I'm wrong...didn't he write something about Spock and Saavik? Or did I read something false? I know it was supposedly out of canon. If he DID do it, however, I would consider it a desperate attempt to knock out the Spirk fandom.

If that was the case: YOU FAIL, SHAT.

sweatdrop  

Eiria Morgan

YoukaiLuvr

4,400 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:19 pm
Eiria Morgan
Didn't William Shatner write a Star Trek novel or two? Correct me if I'm wrong...didn't he write something about Spock and Saavik? Or did I read something false? I know it was supposedly out of canon. If he DID do it, however, I would consider it a desperate attempt to knock out the Spirk fandom.

If that was the case: YOU FAIL, SHAT.

sweatdrop

One or two? Try a dozen or more....

ST: The Academy: Collision Course
Captain's Glory
Captain's Blood
The Return
Odyssey
Spectre
Dark Victory
The Ashes of Eden
Preserver
Captain's Peril
Avenger
ST: V: The Final Frontier (one of 3 to write the novelization)

And that's not including his TekWorld series or the non-fiction/memoir type stuff.

Most of his books are written together with Judith & Garfield Reeves-Stevens, so they aren't horrible. The only one I've read (and remember the plot of) is The Return. Actually a fairly decent book...a bit farfetched...but still in the realm of possibility...and some P/C fluff to boot! {grin}  
Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff