Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
i need a bit of clarification here. ok. a lot. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

wxnk

Tipsy Kitten

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:26 pm
Haha, wow. Um. Ok.

I'll try to be incredibly basic.

- I believe in a Lord and a Lady, that in each other's way, compliment each other, like Yin and Yang. (but am I allowed to say it's the Wiccan's Lord and Lady?)
- I believe in reincarnation, in a way that (and I'm not sure about this source) Buddhism represents it, if you are a generally good person, you will be reincarnated as an equally good creature, even a human again. If you are not, you will be reincarnated as a creature that lives a generally hard life. I don't know if that makes any sense.
- I believe in karma, much like the threefold rule, do unto others and it wil return to you three-fold.
- I beileve in the common Wiccan rede, 'an ye harm none, do what thee wilt'.
- I was informed that Animal Spirit guides are related to Shamanistic belief. I believe in these, and that you may look to many for help on different situations, but, not in such a way that they are divine like the Lord and Lady.
- I believe in an astral plane.
- I do not believe in organized religion, where someone tells you whether or not you're going to an afterlife or not. Usually, (in my experience) organized religion contradicts itself, whereas I'm more drawn to solo-practition as it gives you the freedom to believe what you want. Yet, the hypocritical statement is that, I want to find other who believe some or all of the basics of my own beliefs, and be able to relate to them.
- I believe that everything has it's own energy.
edit - I believe in Animism. (found the word to describe it.)
- I believe in the paranormal, if that's relative to anything.
- I believe in different psychic abilities, channeling, empathy, tarot, aura-readings, ect. and that thy can be learned.

i hope that's some kind of help..?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:31 pm
TeaDidikai
You have to remember that Wica isn't about belief. It's about practice. There are numerous religions that have a polarity between masculine and feminine forces compounded by reincarnation.

Practice being more specifically...?

TeaDidikai

There isn't anything about being a neo-pagan that says you have to like organized religion, though I would encourage you not to fall into a guilt by association fallacy and reexamine what about it you dislike.

Ok, just making sure. I didn't want to look like a hypocrite saying 'Oh, I'm Neo-Pagan, but, I don't like organized religion.'

TeaDidikai
There are solitary eclectic pagan religions. Tons of them really- since they have deviations from one another to different degrees.

Are those the paths people talk about? Or is it more broad, like the different sects of Wicca?  

wxnk

Tipsy Kitten

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:34 pm
TeaDidikai
Recursive Paradox
Also any practices the OP engages in for possible orthopraxy connections too.
I'm less worried about orthopraxy, since there isn't an established mandate within what she is doing now.

Fair enough.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:39 pm
Okay, so your belief includes complementary male and female deities. Are they celestial? earth-based? Do you believe that all goddesses are aspects of one supreme Goddess, or do you believe deities are discrete?

I'm not as well-versed in Buddhism as several other board members but I believe the concepts of karma and reincarnation are more complex than the general western understanding you're working from here. you believe in spiritual reciprocity which influences your life depending on your adherence to a system of ethics.

Edit: Tea already talked about orthodoxy and orthopraxy. my bad!  

AvalonAuggie

4,050 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:44 pm
AvalonAuggie
you believe in spiritual reciprocity which influences your life depending on your adherence to a system of ethics.

Sometimes that also translates into a less specified natural phenomenon of resonance/affinity and attraction, wherein following the ethics is merely a way to achieve the resonance/affinity you want to go to the places you'd rather be.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:47 pm
Takozu
Haha, wow. Um. Ok.

I'll try to be incredibly basic.
Sounds good.
Quote:

- I believe in a Lord and a Lady, that in each other's way, compliment each other, like Yin and Yang. (but am I allowed to say it's the Wiccan's Lord and Lady?)
I don't see any reason to assume it is.

Quote:

- I believe in reincarnation, in a way that (and I'm not sure about this source) Buddhism represents it, if you are a generally good person, you will be reincarnated as an equally good creature, even a human again. If you are not, you will be reincarnated as a creature that lives a generally hard life. I don't know if that makes any sense.
That isn't really what Buddhism teaches. Byggy will correct any errors, but for the most part, Buddhism's reincarnation is more like looking at a glass of water. The water gets poured out into the ocean with the rest of whatever is still in the karmic cycle- still attached to corporeal reality. That which isn't attached attains Nirvana. Then a different cup- a new incarnation, scoops up the water. How much of that water is made up of the same particles that was in the last cup doesn't really matter.

Does that make sense?

Is it close to what you believe, or is it more accurate to suggest a different model closer to what you described?

Quote:
- I believe in karma, much like the threefold rule, do unto others and it wil return to you three-fold.
Just to let you know, that isn't Karma. Karma exists only in contrast to Dharma. Dharma in Buddhism and Hinduism differ slightly, but the basic upshot is that rather than being a set of moral rules, the nature you are part of has actions that are inline with it and out of line. Acting out of line creates karma- something that attaches you to corporeal reality. Acting in line with your dharma doesn't generate karma, and moves you further from the birth-death-birth cycle.

Just to let you know, that whole Do Unto Others isn't the Threefold Rule, but is more accurately known as The Ethic of Reciprocity.

Quote:

- I beileve in the common Wiccan rede, 'an ye harm none, do what thee wilt'.
Why?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's bad. But as a moral framework, what do you think it means?

Quote:

- I was informed that Animal Spirit guides are related to Shamanistic belief. I believe in these, and that you may look to many for help on different situations, but, not in such a way that they are divine like the Lord and Lady.
I don't think what you believe in relation to Animal Spirit Guides is related to the belief of the Shamans. They have a very specific cultural framework.

But Animal Spirit Guides aren't limited to their tradition, so if you drop the Shaman part, you have an accurate description.

Quote:
- I do not believe in organized religion, where someone tells you whether or not you're going to an afterlife or not.
Point of reference, someone telling you something- anything, isn't a function of organized religion. It's a function of humanity.

Quote:
Usually, organized religion contradicts itself,
Organized Religion at times contradicts itself- but far more often, the laity simply doesn't understand a complexity. Perhaps you could provide an example of such a contradiction so I may illustrate?

Quote:
whereas I'm more drawn to solo-practition as it gives you the freedom to believe what you want. Yet, the hypocritical statement is that, I want to find other who believe some or all of the basics of my own beliefs, and be able to relate to them.

Don't take this the wrong way- but the way you have this dichotomy constructed, it looks like you really just don't want people to disagree with you- even if you're wrong.

Before this upsets you- please understand it's natural to want that, especially when you're starting out. But ultimately, it isn't very healthy- it leads to stagnation and allows broken ideas and internal conflicts to continue.

I'm hoping that rather than be afraid of that kind of examination, you'll embrace it and grow.

Quote:
- I believe that everything has it's own energy.
Is there a name for this?

Quote:
- I believe in different psychic abilities, channeling, empathy, tarot, aura-readings, ect. and that thy can be learned.
How do they work?
And yes, it was very helpful.
There's one tradition that already comes to mind, but you have to really invest yourself in maintaining ethical standards, since it's ethics are almost non-existent.  

TeaDidikai

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:51 pm
Takozu

Practice being more specifically...?
We'll get there- I need just a little bit more information I am hoping to glean from the questions I asked in the other post.

Quote:

Ok, just making sure. I didn't want to look like a hypocrite saying 'Oh, I'm Neo-Pagan, but, I don't like organized religion.'
It's a good question.

Quote:

Are those the paths people talk about?
Some of them. Our guild has a crapton of Recon pagans- but these are less about sects and more about method. That said, we have a lot of eclectics too. They just spend a fair bit of time hiding.
Not sure why.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:51 pm
Recursive Paradox
AvalonAuggie
you believe in spiritual reciprocity which influences your life depending on your adherence to a system of ethics.

Sometimes that also translates into a less specified natural phenomenon of resonance/affinity and attraction, wherein following the ethics is merely a way to achieve the resonance/affinity you want to go to the places you'd rather be.

thanks! duly noted.  

AvalonAuggie

4,050 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:53 pm
TeaDidikai
That said, we have a lot of eclectics too. They just spend a fair bit of time hiding.
Not sure why.

Afraid of owls, mostly.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:54 pm
AvalonAuggie
Okay, so your belief includes complementary male and female deities. Are they celestial? earth-based? Do you believe that all goddesses are aspects of one supreme Goddess, or do you believe deities are discrete?
Good questions. 3nodding
I'm not sure they will define a path, but they will likely help narrow down some terminology.

Quote:
I'm not as well-versed in Buddhism as several other board members but I believe the concepts of karma and reincarnation are more complex than the general western understanding you're working from here. you believe in spiritual reciprocity which influences your life depending on your adherence to a system of ethics.
Oh sure... make a short post and steal all my thunder. wink  

TeaDidikai

AvalonAuggie

4,050 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:56 pm
TeaDidikai
Some of them. Our guild has a crapton of Recon pagans- but these are less about sects and more about method. That said, we have a lot of eclectics too. They just spend a fair bit of time hiding.
Not sure why.

Because Recons and pagans in closed traditions are terrifying.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:57 pm
AvalonAuggie
TeaDidikai
Not sure why.

So are owls.  

Recursive Paradox

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:59 pm
AvalonAuggie
TeaDidikai
Not sure why.

But... but... I'm cute and cuddly. And I only fed Nuri fluff that once.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:02 pm
AvalonAuggie
Recursive Paradox
AvalonAuggie

thanks! duly noted.

Etherism specifically deals with resonance and affinity. Like draws like, so if your affinity is a certain type, you will draw certain things towards you and will be more capable of using energy from a given source with a given resonance (or less capable as the case may be.) This affinity, when you "break the mirror" and separate your physical reflection from spiritual reflection (generally this is death, although there are other ways to separate them, usually unpleasant, unethical and unwise to attempt) also determines what sort of places you go during the information exchanges that free moving Essences do and then the place and type of thing you Realign with.

It's all very complex and interesting.  

Recursive Paradox

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:04 pm
TeaDidikai
AvalonAuggie
TeaDidikai
Not sure why.

But... but... I'm cute and cuddly.

So are owls. Okay, I'll stop now. XD  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas