your language?
  swear?
  no swear?
View Results

viper_353

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:48 am
Priestley
viper_353
But what I'm saying is that they do have meaning to people. That this is what we're given to judge on, and the fact is that people judge you on what they can obviously see.

What valid conclusions about a person's character can one draw from their swearing? Very few.

Haa, swearing scare people, it makes you seem less inviting to talk too...think of that old grandma walking down the street...which of the teens does she ask for help from? The stereotypical swearing ones or the kids who smile and talk try and make people feel welcome? Those are kinda important when you're supposed to be reaching out to people... I guess depending on what you're going for, but still...  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:21 pm
viper_353
Priestley
viper_353
But what I'm saying is that they do have meaning to people. That this is what we're given to judge on, and the fact is that people judge you on what they can obviously see.

What valid conclusions about a person's character can one draw from their swearing? Very few.

Haa, swearing scare people, it makes you seem less inviting to talk too...think of that old grandma walking down the street...which of the teens does she ask for help from? The stereotypical swearing ones or the kids who smile and talk try and make people feel welcome? Those are kinda important when you're supposed to be reaching out to people... I guess depending on what you're going for, but still...

But that would fall into swear with a malicious intent. There's a big difference between me smashing my thumb with a hammer and yelling an expletive and me swearing at someone because I don't like them. Besides, plenty of the most approachable people I know swear, including two of my bosses at the children's theatre I work at xD

My point is it really depends on the context or said word.

freelance lover
Crew

viper_353

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:41 pm
freelance lover
viper_353
Priestley
viper_353

But that would fall into swear with a malicious intent. There's a big difference between me smashing my thumb with a hammer and yelling an expletive and me swearing at someone because I don't like them. Besides, plenty of the most approachable people I know swear, including two of my bosses at the children's theatre I work at xD

Okay, I'd agree with that. But I don't think swearing is really something we need to participate in. And it takes work originally to look beyond a person's outside appearance to who they really are.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:16 pm
viper_353
Priestley
viper_353

The old grandma would be taking the same risk asking either teen for help, independent of swearing, because they are both strangers. The grandma's prejudice aside, the one who doesn't swear could end up stealing her purse while the teen who swears could be the good samaritan.

If one person swears conversationally, others who join in will feel relaxed about swearing in conversation. This means that swearing is not necessarily scary or uninviting.

The main issue is that Christians practice according to the limits set by their faith in what is taught. If you believe the teaching about avoiding 'foul' language is essential to your faith, do not use it. It's that simple.

Priestley

Priestley

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:22 pm
viper_353
freelance lover
viper_353
Priestley
viper_353

Okay, I'd agree with that. But I don't think swearing is really something we need to participate in. And it takes work originally to look beyond a person's outside appearance to who they really are.

The work involved to delve beyond someone's outward appearance should apply to everyone, no matter how difficult or repellent their outward appearance is or what their faith is. Even the apparently honest and open people have elements of their personality they keep hidden.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:30 am
I'll be the first one to admit that I have a foul mouth. More than I should probably. But the words that I use have lost almost all of their harsh meaning for me, and become slang instead. "Sh*t" instead of "stuff" for example. I'll watch my language around those in places of authority, at work, and in front of young children, but otherwise they're just words to me, no better or worse than any other. It's all in the tone. I think I've said this before, but if I tell you to suck my left big toe in a tone that obviously means "f*ck you and the horse you rode in on" does it really matter what words I used? You're going to be mad at me anyway for telling you off.

The only thing that offends me about foul language are teenagers who use it to be "cool" and "trendy." I just get tired of hearing the same six words sprinkled as often throughout every sentence as they possibly can. Like those people who drop the f-bomb like it's a comma. It overloads my tolerance meter, and I'm more offended by their lack of ability to keep their mouth shut at all than what's coming out of it.

Also, I don't consider these socially impolite words to constitute cursing. Cursing used to be "and you and your children and your children's children and your children's children's children and all further generations for seventy generations shall be unfruitful in your labors and your souls shall never be at rest." Telling the neighbor kids to get off "the d*mn lawn" somehow just doesn't compare. If you say to another person "go to h*ll" and mean it, then yes, I'll put that up in the "cursing" catagory.  

The Amazing Ryuu
Captain

viper_353

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:07 pm
Haa, okay well that's all a difference of opinions...yeah!
Well there doesn't seem enough people fo my views to be able to really discuss the matter, it's easier when there are people on both sides or else it turns into arguing...yeah. Well, idk what to say. Guild person feel free to shut down this thread? Okay, well that's good...well, see ya guys... it's been nice talking!! Wish this could've gone somewhere, but that okay...yeah, k!  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:48 pm
We'll keep it open until no one has responded for a month, then we'll lock it. smile  

Priestley

Matt Pniewski

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:46 pm
viper_353
Priestley
viper_353

Okay, thing is, whose problem is that? It's the person who actually judges based on the words used instead of the context.

My one professor swears ALOT. Another one is so PG rated it hurts. I'm going to ask for help from the guy who swears alot. Because he is the most qualified to give help.

Old lady needs help grabbing something from the top shelf is going to ask for me, regardless of how much I swear, simply because then nice young man who works at the store can't reach it. Okay, since you can't tell online, I am huge. how huge? VERY. I'm really intimidating until you realize I couldn't harm a fly if I wanted too.

As long as you keep language in proper context, the words are not negative. Words are not positive or negative, you give them those values. Some people don't see it. I've gotten in trouble for saying "Crap" at my Grandma's house as a kid, when crap was ORIGINALLY one of those words you say to avoid swearing. Or so I was lead to believe. Granted, I've never looked up the history of the word, it's irrellevent. Though I should point out the way words evolve. Different but related. We used to say "Handicapped" instead of crippled as the "nice way" to say things. Now we say "Differently abled." We changed "Hostess" to "Stewardess" to avoid sexism, and now that's not proper anymore. The word "f**" has been used over the years it's existed to insult several groups of people, which is why I think it's one of the more foul words you can use. I can't wait for people to decide "Mentally Challenged" is actually more insulting than "retarded" which only became politically incorrect when people started using it as an insult.

And people think less of others is they let a casual "f*ck" slip? It's just unbelievable sometimes. Go screw yourself would be just as insulting as then alternative, but there is nothing insulting about casually saying "No sh*t? You really mean that?"  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:34 am
Hey Matt, I went ahead and censored a few of the words you used. I know we're talking about swearing, but let's try to avoid them as much as possible, as it's guild policy.

Thanks!

freelance lover
Crew

Matt Pniewski

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:29 pm
freelance lover
Hey Matt, I went ahead and censored a few of the words you used. I know we're talking about swearing, but let's try to avoid them as much as possible, as it's guild policy.

Thanks!

No complaints here. The words are meaningless as long as my point is still the same.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:00 pm
Matt Pniewski
As long as you keep language in proper context, the words are not negative. Words are not positive or negative, you give them those values. Some people don't see it. I've gotten in trouble for saying "Crap" at my Grandma's house as a kid, when crap was ORIGINALLY one of those words you say to avoid swearing. Or so I was lead to believe. Granted, I've never looked up the history of the word, it's irrellevent. Though I should point out the way words evolve. Different but related. We used to say "Handicapped" instead of crippled as the "nice way" to say things. Now we say "Differently abled." We changed "Hostess" to "Stewardess" to avoid sexism, and now that's not proper anymore. The word "f**" has been used over the years it's existed to insult several groups of people, which is why I think it's one of the more foul words you can use. I can't wait for people to decide "Mentally Challenged" is actually more insulting than "retarded" which only became politically incorrect when people started using it as an insult.

Can I get an amen?  

The Amazing Ryuu
Captain

ferret658

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:00 am
The Amazing Ryuu
Matt Pniewski

Can I get an amen?

AMEN!  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:04 am
.�: || :�.

I'm not sure if anyone has posted this but:
James 3:9-12 (Referring to the untamable beast, the tongue) "Sometimes it praises our Lord and Father, and sometimes it curses those who have been made in the image of God. And so blessing and cursing come pouring out of the same mouth. Surely, my brothers and sisters, this is not right! Does a spring of water bubble out with both fresh water and bitter water? Does a fig tree produce olives, or a grapevine produce figs? No, and you can't draw fresh water from salty spring."

Paul writes in one of his letters (i want to say 1 peter...) about removing all abusive language we use. This james passage can refer to the "BURN IN A FIRE" cursing then the actual use of cuss words. How does it look on a person of the faith who is praising god with all his heart then turns around and drops F bombs like it's no ones bussiness? People really look at how someone talks to judge them quickly. So cursing only hinders that. Sometimes it is necesarry to curse to emphasize a point, Like explaining to an Athiest that god loves them so damn much. Dang just doesn't do a good representation. But just choose your words wisely and think before you speak.

.�: |User Image| :�.

[GoGo]

Hilarious Conversationalist

Matt Pniewski

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:23 pm
[GoGo]
.�: || :�.

I'm not sure if anyone has posted this but:
James 3:9-12 (Referring to the untamable beast, the tongue) "Sometimes it praises our Lord and Father, and sometimes it curses those who have been made in the image of God. And so blessing and cursing come pouring out of the same mouth. Surely, my brothers and sisters, this is not right! Does a spring of water bubble out with both fresh water and bitter water? Does a fig tree produce olives, or a grapevine produce figs? No, and you can't draw fresh water from salty spring."

Paul writes in one of his letters (i want to say 1 peter...) about removing all abusive language we use. This james passage can refer to the "BURN IN A FIRE" cursing then the actual use of cuss words. How does it look on a person of the faith who is praising god with all his heart then turns around and drops F bombs like it's no ones bussiness? People really look at how someone talks to judge them quickly. So cursing only hinders that. Sometimes it is necesarry to curse to emphasize a point, Like explaining to an Athiest that god loves them so damn much. Dang just doesn't do a good representation. But just choose your words wisely and think before you speak.

.�: |User Image| :�.

How is an F-bomb always an insult? What about my example about the word "Retarded" and the term "Mentally Challenged". This talks about insulting language, yes, but a word is not necessarily abusive. I've used the term N***er in front of a Black man, was that abusive? After all, he was Fred Williamson, star of the movie 'Boss N***er". Does that mean my words go against God, or they make me look bad? Or maybe that's the word you would say, the only one.  

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games