Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Weight Loss Diaries and Journals
High ho Silver, away! [kangaskhaaan's Journal] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

out of the woods

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:00 pm
Still waiting for my arm to fully heal, but I've been randomly dancing around my room every so often to make sure my body doesn't adjust to inactivity during my time of healing. All in all, this is really dampening my whole weight loss routine. Once I start school on Monday, I should start losing.

Because right now, I'm still at the exact same weight I stated in my last post.

I know I mentioned that I have diabetes before. Here's one of the main reasons it might affect my ability to lose weight as easily as other people:
How Insulin Can Make you Gain Weight

I have the type where I take insulin on a daily basis, 3-4 times a day since I've got to take it with everything that I eat, and if my blood sugar gets out of whack. I wasn't overweight until I got diabetes, which makes me sad sometimes, but I know that I can keep the diabetes in mind and lose weight effectively once I start trying. I may have to exercise a bit more to burn off the same amount of calories as another person, but eh, c'est la vie!

Edit: I weighed myself and took photos just now. I'm actually at about 200 lbs. right now.
gonk

User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image
Yeah yeah, my fashion sense is insane.
sweatdrop

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:36 pm
I'm going to admit, to myself and everyone else, that I've been absolutely horrible when it comes to losing weight. I have so many down sides to continuing an overweight lifestyle and yet I'm having the hardest time with motivating myself to follow through with a plan. I've had diabetes since I was a kid, and losing weight will get me back to some better control, as well as lessen complications in the future. Losing weight will greatly heighten my low self-esteem and allow me to act more like myself around others. Losing weight will improve my skin, give me energy that I don't have, and let me finally wear all of the clothes I have that I can't fit into anymore.

So many things, and look where I am. I've gained since I started this. I just eat and eat and don't exercise anymore. Can everyone who is reading this please help me? Tell me what you do to help motivate yourself. Be as detailed as possible. Tell me what you might say to yourself, what you do to follow through with it everyday, what gets you through the unpleasant things, what you may do if you mess up at some point? I just need some kind of method to keep me working hard constantly, instead of starting off and then slacking off. Cures to the boredom and repetition?

I really want to accomplish this. It makes me seem like I'm full of talk when I say this with no results, but I really do. I don't know what is wrong with me. I write down all of these plans and schedules of what to eat and how and when and exercise and this and that - I know almost everything that someone needs to do and in the healthiest way - it's just putting it into action.

Well, I've gone on long enough. I'm going to try and pick myself up again.

Current weight: 206 pounds

Help?

out of the woods

phloid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:26 pm
You know what, I can relate to you a lot.
Like, you're saying you're having the hardest time motivating yourself and, I know that's probably something like everyone who's trying to lose weight says, but I know my procrastination and lack of motivation affects my life in more ways than just in weight loss, it's almost ruining the person who I'd like to be.
I'm the same in that, I know exactly HOW to lose weight in the healthiest ways, I know what I SHOULD be doing and I plan it out, making rules and schedules and the works, but it just seems impossible to actually apply it to my own life.
I know what you mean by your saying that you'd rather be doing something more fun > <

So, in that I'm just like you in a lot of ways, I don't actually have much to say that would actually help you in trying to keep yourself motivated, but I just thought it might be nice to hear that you're not the only one, you're not alone!
and you know, I saw you had asked for a weight loss buddy a while back and maybe that's just the thing the both of us need, we could do it together! Though... come to think of it, I'm not sure if two such un-motivated people would actually be very helpful at motivating each other either xD
But, it could possibly work, like you said, it's nice just knowing that you're not the only one that cares.

And you were the one who wanted to get into vlogging a while back too right?
'cause, I know I said weight loss vlogging wasn't really my thing, but I could see me being able to get into it (though, I'd be nervous about my friends finding it D: ) if you think that might be something that would help inspire you?

anyways, let me know what you think.
you can check out my weight loss thread on here to get to know more about me, my background info and all that, if you'd like... haven't posted in a while though.

Even if you're not interested, just know that I will be standing behind you!
You can do it! WE BOTH CAN!
So good luck (:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:11 pm
phloid
You know what, I can relate to you a lot.
Like, you're saying you're having the hardest time motivating yourself and, I know that's probably something like everyone who's trying to lose weight says, but I know my procrastination and lack of motivation affects my life in more ways than just in weight loss, it's almost ruining the person who I'd like to be.
I'm the same in that, I know exactly HOW to lose weight in the healthiest ways, I know what I SHOULD be doing and I plan it out, making rules and schedules and the works, but it just seems impossible to actually apply it to my own life.
I know what you mean by your saying that you'd rather be doing something more fun > <

So, in that I'm just like you in a lot of ways, I don't actually have much to say that would actually help you in trying to keep yourself motivated, but I just thought it might be nice to hear that you're not the only one, you're not alone!
and you know, I saw you had asked for a weight loss buddy a while back and maybe that's just the thing the both of us need, we could do it together! Though... come to think of it, I'm not sure if two such un-motivated people would actually be very helpful at motivating each other either xD
But, it could possibly work, like you said, it's nice just knowing that you're not the only one that cares.

And you were the one who wanted to get into vlogging a while back too right?
'cause, I know I said weight loss vlogging wasn't really my thing, but I could see me being able to get into it (though, I'd be nervous about my friends finding it D: ) if you think that might be something that would help inspire you?

anyways, let me know what you think.
you can check out my weight loss thread on here to get to know more about me, my background info and all that, if you'd like... haven't posted in a while though.

Even if you're not interested, just know that I will be standing behind you!
You can do it! WE BOTH CAN!
So good luck (:

It IS good to know that I'm not the only person around here who seems to have this problem. Procrastination, god'DANG, it sure takes its toll on me. Well, on us, it seems. I simply put off dieting and exercising for the next day, saying that it's when I'll finally start, but then those days extend into weeks. It's quite horrible, since I'm getting nothing accomplished. Perhaps two very-alike people would be able to help each other somehow. Not exactly sure other than having a mutual understanding, but it's a start.

And indeed, I was the one to mention a vlogging deal back in the day. We could definitely still do something of the sort and not have it reach your friends. We'll just put very basic tags that no one would be able to find, and not use usernames others might know. Things like that. We could figure something out, if you really want to. :]

I checked you out, too (your thread and profile, that is). From your profile, you actually seem like an interesting soul. If that's not something crazy to say. Anyway, yes. We should talk more about this!

out of the woods

phloid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:28 pm
Yeah, I'd be wary about starting this seeing as all we really do have is a mutual understanding. > < But it may be easier to follow through with plans with someone yelling at you, haha (or y'know, just someone to hold youaccountable).

Yeah, I doubt my friends are out there searching weight loss vlogs anyways. P: So yeah, I'd be up for doing it I think, if you think it'd really help. I think we can both agree, that that would be a whole 'nother realm of accountability that might really give us some good inspiration. > <

Oh it's nice to hear that I actually seem interesting, I don't generally think of myself as a particularly interesting person, > < But I don't see why that'd be anything crazy for you to say?

So are we really going to go for this then? The buddies, and vlogging? Or shall we wait and discuss a bit further? I'm not sure of what sort of... discussions we should have? I suppose just about how'd we'd set this up, how we'd keep track of each other, yes? Might you have MSN (or AIM) by any chance? Might be faster and easier for getting planning done, heh.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:29 pm
phloid
Yeah, I'd be wary about starting this seeing as all we really do have is a mutual understanding. > < But it may be easier to follow through with plans with someone yelling at you, haha (or y'know, just someone to hold youaccountable).

Yeah, I doubt my friends are out there searching weight loss vlogs anyways. P: So yeah, I'd be up for doing it I think, if you think it'd really help. I think we can both agree, that that would be a whole 'nother realm of accountability that might really give us some good inspiration. > <

Oh it's nice to hear that I actually seem interesting, I don't generally think of myself as a particularly interesting person, > < But I don't see why that'd be anything crazy for you to say?

So are we really going to go for this then? The buddies, and vlogging? Or shall we wait and discuss a bit further? I'm not sure of what sort of... discussions we should have? I suppose just about how'd we'd set this up, how we'd keep track of each other, yes? Might you have MSN (or AIM) by any chance? Might be faster and easier for getting planning done, heh.

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. I suppose that's a sign of me not being very good with communication. I'm afraid I have a bit of a severe case of ADD and I'm able to go off track for quite the period of time. And this aspect of myself, I hate.

No wonder I'm not getting much accomplished when it comes to losing weight. I hope that you've had better luck! I feel bad for not replying right away. I'd be up for making a youtube channel, however, and I'm not sure if you'd still be interested? Perhaps we can post whenever we each feel in the mood to provide an update, just as long as we don't let the channel die entirely. As for a name, I'm not very creative on that front. How about you? If you're about the same, I guess I can try and scrounge up something. XD; And you'd want to share it with members of this guild on Gaia, yes? We can get as much of them to crack down on us as possible. Heh.

out of the woods

out of the woods

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:08 am
I've been doing terribly, you guys. Sometimes I wonder why I even bother with attempting to lose weight, since I obviously have been slacking off like it isn't important, but I can't get myself to give up. Not entirely. I'm too unhappy with my health to really do that, and yet I seem happy enough to bask in inaction? I don't understand myself. I know it's something to do with wanting things to happen without having to work for it, but I know perfectly well that's not how life is. I'm the only one that can make the change, and that's that. So eh, I don't know what the deal with me is, but it's driving me completely up the wall. And I mean completely.

I haven't even stayed at the same weight as I've last reported. I'm now around 215lbs. Insane, right? I've been bringing in a storm with my eating habits and complete lack of exercise. I need some help with motivation. Seriously. I literally am talking to myself in my mind constantly, saying to get up off my a** and do it, since I'm just wasting time thinking about doing it (thanks to all of the people who replied to my motivation post, by the way; I know that's what I've got to do, and now I need to get myself there). But even though I order myself to do so, I don't. This morning, for example, I actually got up early because I couldn't really sleep, and I was going to take the time to take a morning swim, but as soon as I walked out of my room and felt the cold temperature, I gave up just like that and went back to my warm bed. What the hell, right?

I just wanted to rant, and talk about how I'm so disappointed in myself right now and wish there was some way I could force me the ******** into weight loss as if I were someone else doing it to me. I'm really the only one around, though. I'm disappointed I gained so much in such a short amount of time, I'm disappointed I never follow through with anything, and I suck at responding and posting here on Gaia. It's just bad.

I'm still going to keep going, though. 'm not going to give up on this weight loss deal, even if all I can do is think about it in my head. I'm not going to tell myself to give up already and do what I want. I know I won't be happy.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:32 pm
I promise you that we all get into that hole; it's a matter of how deep you're going to let yourself dig before you decide to climb out, and following that metaphor, it's harder to climb out the deeper you dig. But it's not impossible, no, never impossible though it may feel that way at times.

I have done nothing today. Absolutely nothing. I've not left my house, I've not left my room save to mosey to the kitchen and stuff my face four or five times today.

It was 7pm and I was bored so I decided to go to bed. I got comfy and was about to close my eyes when I just started yelling at myself in my head: What the HELL are you doing?!

So I laced up my shoes, got up, and left for a run. /;

You just have to do it, don't think about it, don't take no for an answer, don't give up.

It's harder than people think it is, but this is why everyone is overweight. Because if it were easy, then we'd all look like Victoria's Secret models. But once you attain your goal weight, you'll cherish it more than any skinny-born girls ever could, because you work for it, you sweat and swear and cry for it. And you will get it, it's hard but you will. Just don't give up, it doesn't matter how late in the day, how early in the morning, how tired or beat down you are. Fight for it.

We're here for you. We love you. Don't give up.

Stars in my Pocket
Vice Captain

Euthanasia Phase

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:32 am
To what Stars has said: AMEN.
You could look at any successful weight loss stories (in this guild or elsewhere) and I'd bet money that each one of those stories includes days, or weeks, or MONTHS where the person falls of the bandwagon. It happens. The idea is to figure out WHY it happened, and form a solution that is feasible over a long-term period.
I've lost and gained the same weight MANY times. It's not like you lose weight and you're home free, the challenge is still there and it persists throughout your entire life. There will be days when things get overpowering, and you overeat or neglect exercise - the trick is to realize that one day doesn't have to represent your overall lifestyle, and to get back on track the next day. You can do this.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:25 pm
214.8 LBS

Haven't lost much, if anything. But I know for sure why I haven't. I haven't yet developed any good habits; I've been procrastinating and lazing about like someone who doesn't care about the repercussions. GRAR. I've been eating rather unhealthily, and have been having too many big portions in one day. I also haven't been exercising one bit. I set my alarm to wake me up in the mornings as to not sleep in, and all I do is get up to turn it off and then go back to sleep. It's as if I have no self-control, and prefer the pleasures of lethargy and fatty goods over finally getting healthy, even as much as I want to change my lifestyle. I don't get it.

I have exercised a few times, but not enough to make a difference. I notice when I actually attempt to jog, or do things intensely, I lose my breath very fast. Can't even jog for more than 30 seconds without being out of breath. And when I exercise too intensely for 15 or so minutes, such as swimming, I'm exhausted for several days afterward, to the point where I don't want to do it again. As for food, I don't even mind healthy foods. I think most of it is as tasty as anything else - I guess I'm too lazy to prepare anything? Eh.

This is such a slow process for me! The diabetes has also been making it weird, because I get low blood sugars quite a bit, and when I'm low I eat, eat, eat like there's no tomorrow. I just go overboard, and the sad thing is that I'm more often low right before bed or shortly after exercising a lot - the worst times. I think I may also have ADD, which makes it hard to concentrate and focus on anything, which surprisingly extends to exercising? And which makes me more prone to boredom leading to eating.

Well... I go off to college out-of-state in August and I was thinking that perhaps that change of lifestyle will make it easier to lose. They have a gym I can use for free, and of course the campus is spread apart... so...

Edit: I also wanted to thank those who've given me some advice on this whole thing! It actually does seem to help when I decide spontaneously to just go out and do something, but the hard thing is that I don't do it consistently enough to provide results, even when I DO do it, it's satisfying. It's weird. And yeah, I know we all go through these slumps. I just wish mine wasn't lasting for so long. I see people who have achieved so much in the time I spent doing nothing, that I tell myself I could've done the same and not wasted so much time and would've been done by now... but I try and remind myself that it's different for everyone. Mind persuasion is probably the most helpful of tactics when it comes to this..

out of the woods

BitterFantasy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:53 pm
well since im home for the summer i put my journal on hold..especially since im having surgery soon before i go back to college. since i am home though im focusing on not gaining weight. my parents are both heavyset.and i dont wanna end up like that. So yeah. i took a picture of myself and put it in paint and editted it into what i would like to someday achieve and beside it i put a piece of clothing id love to wear. i printed off several copies (each copy had a different article of clothing but the same pic of me). i placed one on my door and one in my bathroom and another on the refridgerator and one beside the television. i have a short attention span so having them all over reminds me of my goal.when i go back to school my roommate and i will work out. she's medium size and pretty much skinny but her attitude just inspires me.

thus, focus on changing small things and not gaining first. something as small as giving up sodas can help. also try working out a little and as your body gets used to working out increase the amount exercise. trying to force your body to workout right off the bat will make your body fight every step of the way..just like a person that has never really run trying to do 2 miles or more..it just doesnt work. ease yourself into the lifestyle. being healthy is a lifestyle. thinking of it as a short time thing will make you gain weight back later on.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:20 am
Fallen behind again. I've got such a weak will, and I'm trying my best to slowly but surely surpass it. I've made a pact with myself to be at my goal weight by my 21st birthday, which I think is reasonable because the older one gets, the harder it seems to be to lose weight, and I don't want to wait that long to get myself in shape; I want to properly enjoy my life the way I dream of.

So my birthday's in three days. My 20th. This gives me quite a lot of time, so there's no intense pressure, but I had a few questions:

How - exactly - do you ease yourself into an exercise routine when you've never exercised, and how do you do it in a way where you won't hit a plateau too quickly?

Exercising and cutting down on food. Should you start by doing one first, or should you do them both at the same time to effectively lose weight?

Is becoming a vegetarian right away a good idea, or should you ease yourself slowly off of meat if you've eaten it all of your life?

Is losing 80 pounds in a year a plausible amount?

Thanks, you guys.

out of the woods

RoseAintMean

5,700 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:38 pm
Hello. I am Rose. =]

1. Ease yourself into a exercise routine I am not so sure about. But changing up your routine often will help with getting to a plateau quickly.
2. I would start with exercising first, and then start substituting unhealthy foods for healthy ones.
3.I eased myself into being a vegetarian, I felt it was helpful. Just started subtracting one meat at a time and added more beans.
4. I am not sure if losing 80 pounds is plausible or not. But I find it more helpful to not set an end date in losing a certain amount of weight so if you don't reach the goal you won't be disappointed.

I hope that helped.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:48 pm
Good workout routines that always worked for me were DDR (it's super effing fun) and running.

DDR (dance dance revolution) is addicting. I played it all the time through out highschool and it helped with losing/maintaining weight. Each song is about 30 seconds to about 90 seconds and you can choose different difficulty levels (beginner mode, light mode, standard mode, and heavy mode). All you need is a ps2, tv, one of the ps2 DDR games, and a mat to jump on. If you don't have a ps2, then you can do what my boyfriend did and find every single song online. He has this program on his computer that let's him play it without the game disk or ps2 console. So yea, if you haven't already tried this, then definitely look into it.

Another easy way (sorta easy) is running. I used C25K (Couch to 5 K). It's basically a running schedule. The schedule is broken down into 9 weeks, 3 days a week of alternating timed running and walking intervals. The running intervals become progressively longer while the walking intervals shorter. It's completely free. Just type "c25k" into google and you can find it online for free. If you have money though (unlike me 'cause I'm broke 'cept when it comes to iTunes) I highly suggest you buy the application for it if you have a smart phone. It's really cool and I bet you could lose 2+ pounds easily every week if you run 3 times a week.

As for food, the obvious. Eat more fruits, veggies, and leafy dark greens. Eat smaller portions, and stay away from greasy foods, junk food, and fast food. A tid bit that always kinda helped me was the whole 'waiting 15 mins after a small portioned meal" 'cause usually I always want seconds. I always though and then I usually get full, so maybe try that. Next time before getting up to get a second helping, just wait so your body can tell your brain that you are full. I always heard the brain is slow on realizing we already ate a lot.

I hope this information helped you! I do understand that what works for me, may not work for someone else, these are mere suggestions and I hope you benefit from them. Good luck! =]  

A Touch of Evil

Tipsy Genius

Lainauriel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:42 am
I think you should set smaller goal, just like 10 pounds for a start. When you get there, celebrate biggrin I also try to motivate myself by buying new clothes or doing my nails in a studio, then i say to myself that if i have great nails then i must have a great body too (stupid i know...). I set myself one major goal and then broke it into weekly goals smile
Also i try to eat healthy all week and then one day just eat whatever i want, or go specially to a restaurant and enjoy or something like that.
Good luck...  
Weight Loss Diaries and Journals

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces