Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Vampires, werewolves, and Otherkin, oh my! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Free gold is free.
  +1
View Results

Underworld Priestess

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:27 pm
Sivirs
celticfireguardian
Like I said, they need the iron and it says that if you have anemia it makes you want that sort of thing

I think the point Sophist is trying to make is that your article explains that anemic people crave *iron*, not that they crave *blood*. Biiiig huge difference, and definitely doesn't fall under "that sort of thing." Spinach does not have blood, for one thing, and yet anemics crave it as much as the rare steak. It's not the fact that the steak is BLOODY that attracts the anemics, it's the fact that a steak cooked more lightly has more iron in it, and just happens to be more bloody.

The article says
"Drinking blood: Mosquitoes, bats and other creatures drink blood, but humans rarely do — unless they have an iron deficiency such as anemia, notes Dr. Manuel Alvarez, managing editor for health at FoxNews.com. Those suffering from iron deficiencies could feel the need to rush out for an extra side-helping of iron-rich spinach … or may opt to eat an extremely bloody steak.

Craving iron and feasting on human blood are very different, of course. But Dr. Manny notes that pica, the pattern of eating non-foods or even blood, can result from anemia. This may not explain the vampire mythology, but it could explain one of the characteristics associated with the creatures."

It still mentions, blood and anemia and it is a way to explain about real vampires, which is what the whole article is about, the myth behind vampires, the Science of Vampires.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:31 pm
celticfireguardian
Sivirs
celticfireguardian
Like I said, they need the iron and it says that if you have anemia it makes you want that sort of thing

I think the point Sophist is trying to make is that your article explains that anemic people crave *iron*, not that they crave *blood*. Biiiig huge difference, and definitely doesn't fall under "that sort of thing." Spinach does not have blood, for one thing, and yet anemics crave it as much as the rare steak. It's not the fact that the steak is BLOODY that attracts the anemics, it's the fact that a steak cooked more lightly has more iron in it, and just happens to be more bloody.

The article says
"Drinking blood: Mosquitoes, bats and other creatures drink blood, but humans rarely do — unless they have an iron deficiency such as anemia, notes Dr. Manuel Alvarez, managing editor for health at FoxNews.com. Those suffering from iron deficiencies could feel the need to rush out for an extra side-helping of iron-rich spinach … or may opt to eat an extremely bloody steak.

Craving iron and feasting on human blood are very different, of course. But Dr. Manny notes that pica, the pattern of eating non-foods or even blood, can result from anemia. This may not explain the vampire mythology, but it could explain one of the characteristics associated with the creatures."

It still mentions, blood and anemia and it is a way to explain about real vampires, which is what the whole article is about, the myth behind vampires, the Science of Vampires.

If one is anemic one does not need blood to survive. One needs iron. There are plenty of ways to get iron without drinking human blood. Needing iron is not, I think, a defining characteristic of being a vampire, so much as the desire to drink blood itself.  

Bastemhet

Underworld Priestess

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:36 pm
But some people crave blood because of the iron.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:37 pm
Scientist and doctors were interviewed for that article and that is an answer that they came up with.

If you really want to learn about real vampires than read the Science of Vampires.  

Underworld Priestess

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:29 am
celticfireguardian
Recursive Paradox
celticfireguardian
...there are people who crave blood. It is some sort of mental thing, or in some cases they have like anemia and need the iron and so they crave it.

Anemia doesn't make you crave blood. That's ridiculous.

For the misinformed:
The Science of Vampires an article, and it references a great book that I have read.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,577037,00.html

*facepalm*

Fox news? Really? They peddle the worst of pseudoscience.

celticfireguardian

The article says

He's trying to imply it but he doesn't actually say it. Rare steak or spinach is not drinking blood. Anemia does not make people drink blood.

Quote:

Where's his evidence for this bullshit?

celticfireguardian
Scientist and doctors were interviewed for that article and that is an answer that they came up with.

"scientists" and "doctors" are also interviewed by fox news to justify reparative therapy for homosexuals. And we all know what a load of pseudoscientific garbage that is.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:36 am
Recursive Paradox
celticfireguardian
Recursive Paradox
celticfireguardian
...there are people who crave blood. It is some sort of mental thing, or in some cases they have like anemia and need the iron and so they crave it.

For the misinformed:
The Science of Vampires an article, and it references a great book that I have read.

*facepalm*

celticfireguardian

The article says

He's trying to imply it but he doesn't actually say it. Rare steak or spinach is not drinking blood. Anemia does not make people drink blood.

Quote:

celticfireguardian

"scientists" and "doctors" are also interviewed by fox news to justify reparative therapy for homosexuals. And we all know what a load of pseudoscientific garbage that is.

Then check out the book the Science of Vampires, that is not related to fox news.  

Underworld Priestess

Kuroiban

Dapper Explorer

2,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:08 pm
celticfireguardian
It is not cosplay when it is how a person truly is. They may not have even heard of Otherkin, it's just how they are.

I've never seen any evidence, in any way, to indicate such is possible. I have, however, seen every indication that such claims are completely false, made up, or imagined.

I kindly ask for some evidence of some kind. Verification from a valid, unbiased news source that includes citation(s) would be nice.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:12 pm
celticfireguardian
Then check out the book the Science of Vampires, that is not related to fox news.

Vampires are one thing, because we're not suggesting that someone is a vampire born in to human shape; what we're coming at with this is suggesting a mundane explanation for fantastic situations.

Someone who thinks they're a bloody dragon or some nonsense is what I take issue with.  

Kuroiban

Dapper Explorer

2,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:49 am
celticfireguardian

I'm anoemic.
There is no science to support anoemia with vampirism.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:29 pm
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Kuroiban
celticfireguardian

Vampires are one thing, because we're not suggesting that someone is a vampire born in to human shape; what we're coming at with this is suggesting a mundane explanation for fantastic situations.

Someone who thinks they're a bloody dragon or some nonsense is what I take issue with.
I hate to break it to you, but there are Vampirekin.

Then don't worry, you're not breaking anything to me wink

To be more specific and well defined, I don't take issue with scientific inquirey being brought to bare on vampires. Nor do I take issue with people saying that they're issue, such as low iron in their personal chemistry or what have you, may result in what some would classify as the behavior of a vampire. I'm open minded enough to believe that they're might be a meta-physical explanation for what modern medicine would term a completely physiological issue.

"I'm a vampire/werewolf/dragon/bigfoot trapped in a human's body because I say so"...that's where I sorta place ye olde line in the sand.  

Kuroiban

Dapper Explorer

2,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100

Underworld Priestess

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:51 pm
I thought this forum was more about opinion then fact. Because with this sort of thing there are not a lot of facts at hand to use.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:13 pm
Otherkin kids, as I called the ones at my schoolm amuse me. To me it seems like they were just playing make believe to make themselves feel special because face it everyone wants to feel special in high school and junior high. It's where we get fluffy bunnies from. My friends who were the Otherkin kids tried to get me to play with them. I humored them for the most part. They decided I was a dragon because that is the Chinese sign I was born under and have always been mesmerized by dragons in books and the like.  

RedRoseSpiral

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:33 am
celticfireguardian
I thought this forum was more about opinion then fact. Because with this sort of thing there are not a lot of facts at hand to use.

Opinions are only as good as the facts/reasoning they rest upon.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:36 am
celticfireguardian
Recursive Paradox
celticfireguardian
Recursive Paradox
celticfireguardian

For the misinformed:

*facepalm*

celticfireguardian

The article says

Quote:

celticfireguardian

If it's using the exact same information as the Fox News article you just linked, it is just as pseudoscientific and garbagetastic.  

Recursive Paradox

Tandahda

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:11 pm
Not a lot of talk about werewolves here. My fiance views himself as two-spirited in terms of being lupine. He is affected by the full moon, ... every. Month. Without fail. And it affects him differently, mostly just that he is much more intense, sexuality, rage, joy are all things that are enhanced by the full moon in him.

He is also allergic to silver, he gets a rash.

I just think it's kind of funny. Not like he grows fur and a tail, but definitely something being up is there.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff