Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians
How Veg*an are You? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

moonshyne

Aged Gaian

7,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:27 pm
if i wanted a dog or something, I could do the veggie dog food, no problem. when I eventually get a place with a yard, I probably will adopt a couple of dogs. But I LOVE cats, and that's what I'm having a problem with. Cats are almost entirely carnivorous, and don't do well with veggie food. they can go blind and develop other issues.

I had thought about maybe getting an outdoor cat, and letting it hunt it's own food. But there are a few problems with that idea too, one being that if Mr. Kitty couldn't catch enough on his own, I'd have to supplement his diet, and number two being that cats are not native to this country and there's a real potential threat to local wildlife.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:18 pm
Yes, cats belong indoors. I understand people's argument that cats like to be outdoors and run around and be free, but unfortunately this leads to several problems. Cat overpopulation is a big one. Even if you have your cat spayed or neutered, there are potential dangers for the cat itself. Other cats are sometimes very territorial and can injure or kill your cat in a territorial or mate dispute. Cars are a huge danger, obviously. If you live in the great outdoors, coyotes, hawks, eagles, bobcats, foxes, etc. are also very real dangers. And finally, cats prey on native songbird populations, which can be seriously detrimental to these animals; locally, the eastern bluebird here is suffering from housecat predation as well as other non-native species like house sparrows.

Also, I personally find it very, very wrong to feed any animal (especially cats) a vegan diet. It's incredibly selfish to push your beliefs on an animal that evolved to eat meat. If you don't want to eat meat, then don't get an animal that does. It goes along with the package. Volunteer at a shelter or something if you really feel a need for a omnivorous or carnivorous companion animal, or get an herbivore. Make sure you're not supporting the exotic pet trade though (anything not domesticated)!

I just realized all of my posts are negative. I don't mean it, I just have very strong views lol.

As for my contribution, I'm not as hardcore as you guys are. sad I'm not vegetarian or vegan, but I do limit my meat consumption. I buy organic and/or locally grown meats/eggs/milk/produce when I can at our local co-op. I have several bins in my garage for various types of recycling. My roommate and I reuse those plastic ziploc baggies. I stopped buying or severely limited my purchases of products known for animal testing. This has completely changed my shopping habits as I realized a lot of what I used to buy were Procter and Gamble products. Now I'm discovering new things!

I also volunteer at a wildlife rehab center during my free time and plan to start my own when I graduate.

I could probably do more for my environment, but as a college student, funds are limited and I do what I can. There's always a place to start. ^^  

Ailinea
Vice Captain

pinkcatminht

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:13 am
Ailinea
Also, I personally find it very, very wrong to feed any animal (especially cats) a vegan diet. It's incredibly selfish to push your beliefs on an animal that evolved to eat meat. If you don't want to eat meat, then don't get an animal that does. It goes along with the package. Volunteer at a shelter or something if you really feel a need for a omnivorous or carnivorous companion animal, or get an herbivore. Make sure you're not supporting the exotic pet trade though (anything not domesticated)!

it's not that she's pushing her beliefs on the animal, she's against the pet food industry. most pet foods include animal blood, bone meal, & things like beaks & claws, all ground up & put in your animal's food. not to mention a bunch of fillers like corn & soybeans that can cause serious allergic reactions in pets(they almost killed my cat about a year & a half ago)... it's really very UNsafe to feed your pet pet food.

but dogs can definitely be vegan with no problems, as they are omnivores. cats are a little trickier because they are carnivores, so i'd be wary of even trying it. although they do have vegan cat foods at veganstore.com & veganessentials.com.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:35 pm
Dia Dementia

it's not that she's pushing her beliefs on the animal, she's against the pet food industry. most pet foods include animal blood, bone meal, & things like beaks & claws, all ground up & put in your animal's food.

... how is this not pushing your beliefs on an animal? You really think the animal gives a crap about this? Like I said, if you don't agree with it, don't get a pet. It's that simple.

Quote:
not to mention a bunch of fillers like corn & soybeans that can cause serious allergic reactions in pets(they almost killed my cat about a year & a half ago)... it's really very UNsafe to feed your pet pet food.

but dogs can definitely be vegan with no problems, as they are omnivores. cats are a little trickier because they are carnivores, so i'd be wary of even trying it. although they do have vegan cat foods at veganstore.com & veganessentials.com.

If you're going to get an animal, then don't feed it this generic crap you're describing. People who really care about their dog won't feed them Ol' Roy dog food, they'll go to their organic store or other high-quality pet store where the first ingredient is not "corn meal" or "animal byproducts" but things like "Chicken" "beef" or other such high-quality stuff. There's a reason they put ingredients and data like crude protein and things on pet food labels.  

Ailinea
Vice Captain

pinkcatminht

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:02 pm
Ailinea
... how is this not pushing your beliefs on an animal? You really think the animal gives a crap about this? Like I said, if you don't agree with it, don't get a pet. It's that simple.

if the animal doesn't give a crap, then why does it matter? as long as it's healthy i see no problem with it.

Ailinea
If you're going to get an animal, then don't feed it this generic crap you're describing. People who really care about their dog won't feed them Ol' Roy dog food, they'll go to their organic store or other high-quality pet store where the first ingredient is not "corn meal" or "animal byproducts" but things like "Chicken" "beef" or other such high-quality stuff. There's a reason they put ingredients and data like crude protein and things on pet food labels.

or you could make your own(which i do NOT reccomend for cat food). it's really not that hard, my aunt out on a farm made her old dog, sadie, food, & sadie only recently died after living to be almost 19.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:42 am
for the record, I'm NOT trying to push my beliefs of naturally carnivorous animals....which is why I can never have a cat again. Sucks, but like I said, I just cannot support that industry.  

moonshyne

Aged Gaian

7,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Citizen 200

Seikuu-kun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:57 am
My dog is a vegetarian by choice. Its actually quite funny/weird because occasionally if someone comes over and they have meat, or just somehow there is leftover meat at my house, then someone tries to give it to him. He absolutely declines and goes to his bed and rubs himself against it, as if saying 'What is this crap'. However he'll tackle anyone who is eating an apple, persimmon, or banana.
Pic: Leicester
User Image

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas