Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians
When even bread has milk in it.. :( Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Can I still call myself vegan after this?
  Yes
  No
  Don't know, don't care, want gold
View Results

aoijea23487

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:25 pm
It was an accident, you're still vegan.

Hell, I was loading up on Altoids when someone in my AR group pointed out that they're made with gelatin. They're not even vegetarian.

Grosssss.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:39 pm
Ailinea
No sense in fighting, guys. Let's keep it clean. biggrin

I'm confused though, you said you're vegan but you eat scrambled eggs?

i agree with this post. sorry, but vegans neither eat nor use anything with animal products in it. if you still eat eggs or dairy products than you're a lacto-ovo-vegan to be technical. in my opinon, at least being vegetarian is better than nothing. if a vegan is mad at you for being just vegetarian (sorry but it seems to me that you may be) than ask them this: would they prefer you go back to eating animals? 0_o  

reptileluver101

reptileluver101

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:44 pm
Sakakikala
Ailinea

Lol no I don't eat eggs at all. lol.
i put [sarcasm] to note that sentence i was using was sarcasm.

My mom wants me to eat eggs but I haven't not for a good while.
Nor have I had any animal products for a good while.

And i do pay attention to labels, it's just there's times where when you have no other options available you'll take the one most likely to be vegan, provided there are no nutritional labels. stare

Not to mention my sister has celiac's disease so we're lucky if we get bread in our house like once a year. '~'
And yes, it was one incident but I do make a concious effort to pack myself vegan lunches for school.
And i've forgotten my lunch once scince I went vegan. crying
But i do forget my lunch once every couple months or so in general.
But Death of Cool I will start to keep some money in my bookbag so If I forget my food I'll simply by some chips. They're like the ONLY vegan options in our cafeteria! gonk
And I will not take anymore "chances" and eat something if there is a small risk it could not be vegan.
whee
I'm kinda excited. Building up a stronger will! heart

okay sorry, this may be a bit off topic since it has to do with lacto-ovo-vegans (just vegetarians.) but alot of vegetarians are unaware that most store bought cheeses' contain animal fat. I wish companies were more obvious about if their products contained any animal products.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:48 pm
Sakakikala
Kecitich
you know what sakakikala, US Mcdonalds even put beef flavoring in their french fries burning_eyes

I know! Ugh! I'd never eat anything from mcdonald's unless it was a salad, and even then i'm leery! LOL.

Death of Cool
I'm not saying go hungry instead of risking the possibility of eating something that may or may not be vegan. I've done it, I'm sure we've all done it.
Like I said, your first post made it sound like you just don't bother reading labels on stuff like bread on a regular basis.
Keeping extra cash around just in case is never a bad idea. You might be better off if you carry some cut up carrots and celery, or some fruit with you too. If nothing else, you can snack on that until you can get something substantial

My bad when I said I don't worry, I meant when I forget to pack my lunch and a friend offers it to me. At home and whenever I can i'm a label obsessor.
And Cut up Carrots and Celery sounds like a great Idea!!! A lot easier to manage than having to cook fancy stuff. lol. 'w'
I just feel like somtimes I have to make fancier things like vegan cakes because people make fun of me for being vegan cuz they think I don't have as many yummy options in my foods. 'n'
And I HATE how people say they hate tofu! I mean really! The only people who hate tofu has never tried it nice and hot!!!

to me, tofu doenst taste bad at all. how can someone like something that doesnt taste like much, especially not an objective flavor? i think most people just dont like vegan and/or vegetarian food b/c they're NOT vegetarian. I became a vegetarian when i was 12 :]  

reptileluver101

tommi-chan

5,900 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Critic 0
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:31 pm
Sakakikala
Death of Cool
Sakakikala
You can still definently call yourself a vegan. 'w'
It was an accident.
Now if you went off and ate jell-o or a pork chop, well you obviouslty know what that is.

I don't worry too much about milk and eggs in things like breads, I don't eat them very often anyway, it's when I go to eat my normal foods that I avoid it where possible.
If i'm freaking starving cuz i was rushing out the door and forgot to put my lunch in my school bag and a friend gives me their PB&J sandwich, I'll eat it. Its things like the school chicken nuggets or pizza that I definently won't eat.

And yes, I still call myself a vegan. It's not like i know I'm eating milk or dairy, it's just better than the other alternatives of food out there that may be right there.
I avoid it wherever possible through.
3nodding
If there's no nutrition label and its not like i'm blatantly not being vegan I don't sweat it.

*waits for people to bash me in calling me a hypocrite*

If that's true, you're not a vegan regardless of what you call yourself.
I'm not going to call you a hypocrite, but the only one you're lying to is yourself.

o.0 But really, if there's no way to check labels what do you expect me to do? STARVE?! I mean really. If there's a label, I'll check it and if there's ANYTHING from an animal I don't eat it. =o=
And I don't forget my lunch often.
stare
I normally eat my usual foods, vegan veggie dogs, baked potatoes(without cheese), tofu, scrambled eggs, fruits, veggies(Fried okra is amazing), cereal with soy-milk, edamame, juice, water, etc.

Not a single thing that contains any animal products.
So I say feel safe to call me vegan for eating a PB&J sandwich once in a blue moon when I forget my lunch, which isn't often(Like once every couple months). >_>

I understand it's not good to make ANY exceptions, And I do my best to not to.
My mom is trying to force me to stay a vegetarian and not go vegan(I'm winning by a long shot by the way) She expects me to eat "Free Range" eggs. *rolls eyes*
[sarcasm]Because we ALL know how well free range chickens are treated.[/sarcasm]

And I don't lie to myself. I try my best to be honest with everybody, but the only way to do that is to be honest with yourself.
And it's not like I assembled the PB&J sandwich. If it was me making it I would have been able to read the ingredients. If I saw the bread had milk in it I would have bought a different bread/made a different lunch.
You can't control everything.
I mean if we could, we'd memorize this whole list to memory: http://www.happycow.net/health-animal-ingredients.html
and could pick any one of these things out in an instant and know it was not vegan.

For all I know the sandwich could have been made with all vegan things.
stare

I just do the best I can do, I'm sorry that is not good enough for you.

scrambled eggs??

ignoring that, technically i dont think youd be a vegan, but its deffinately better than omnivore, so i think you can still call yourself vegan, but technically you might not be  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:54 am
tommi-chan
Sakakikala
Death of Cool
Sakakikala
You can still definently call yourself a vegan. 'w'
It was an accident.
Now if you went off and ate jell-o or a pork chop, well you obviouslty know what that is.

I don't worry too much about milk and eggs in things like breads, I don't eat them very often anyway, it's when I go to eat my normal foods that I avoid it where possible.
If i'm freaking starving cuz i was rushing out the door and forgot to put my lunch in my school bag and a friend gives me their PB&J sandwich, I'll eat it. Its things like the school chicken nuggets or pizza that I definently won't eat.

And yes, I still call myself a vegan. It's not like i know I'm eating milk or dairy, it's just better than the other alternatives of food out there that may be right there.
I avoid it wherever possible through.
3nodding
If there's no nutrition label and its not like i'm blatantly not being vegan I don't sweat it.

*waits for people to bash me in calling me a hypocrite*

If that's true, you're not a vegan regardless of what you call yourself.
I'm not going to call you a hypocrite, but the only one you're lying to is yourself.

o.0 But really, if there's no way to check labels what do you expect me to do? STARVE?! I mean really. If there's a label, I'll check it and if there's ANYTHING from an animal I don't eat it. =o=
And I don't forget my lunch often.
stare
I normally eat my usual foods, vegan veggie dogs, baked potatoes(without cheese), tofu, scrambled eggsTOFU, fruits, veggies(Fried okra is amazing), cereal with soy-milk, edamame, juice, water, etc.

Not a single thing that contains any animal products.
So I say feel safe to call me vegan for eating a PB&J sandwich once in a blue moon when I forget my lunch, which isn't often(Like once every couple months). >_>

I understand it's not good to make ANY exceptions, And I do my best to not to.
My mom is trying to force me to stay a vegetarian and not go vegan(I'm winning by a long shot by the way) She expects me to eat "Free Range" eggs. *rolls eyes*
[sarcasm]Because we ALL know how well free range chickens are treated.[/sarcasm]

And I don't lie to myself. I try my best to be honest with everybody, but the only way to do that is to be honest with yourself.
And it's not like I assembled the PB&J sandwich. If it was me making it I would have been able to read the ingredients. If I saw the bread had milk in it I would have bought a different bread/made a different lunch.
You can't control everything.
I mean if we could, we'd memorize this whole list to memory: http://www.happycow.net/health-animal-ingredients.html
and could pick any one of these things out in an instant and know it was not vegan.

For all I know the sandwich could have been made with all vegan things.
stare

I just do the best I can do, I'm sorry that is not good enough for you.

scrambled eggs??

ignoring that, technically i dont think youd be a vegan, but its deffinately better than omnivore, so i think you can still call yourself vegan, but technically you might not be

Now I know why people are getting confused about the scarmbled egg thing! I meant to type scrambled TOFU. *roflcopter*
I just did a control F.
and no I do not eat Eggs in any way guys. sorry about that! sweatdrop *goes to edit my post*  

Sakakikala

4,550 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200

Sakakikala

4,550 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:54 am
WHY!? My posts keep glitching and going to the top of the page!!! crying  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:17 am
The truth is nobody can be 100% vegan all the time, as much as we might like to be. Everyone has slip ups (especially at 6 months into your new lifestyle,). many small animals/bugs are killed in the harvest of crops, so to be vegan in that manner, one would have to go and pick their own vegetables.

So my understanding is that you be as vegan as you can be, and understand that it's ok to slip up on accident, and learn by the mistakes you make. Now you know those things aren't vegan, and can act accordingly by replacing them with things that are. It;s all part of the journey.

If you have a Kroger's in your area, they are a nice place to get groceries. I've noticed most of their store brand stuff is labled vegan on the package if it is so. (Most of their bread is vegan). They even have a "hippie isle" (what I like to call it, since it isn't all vegan or vegetarian) where they have some yummy vegan stuff (like soy cheese pizza).

I also suggest "Becoming Vegan" to anyone who hasn't read it yet. The author slips my mind, but I can post it when I get the chance to look it up.  

Kayei

Zoologist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:04 pm
Don't beat yourself up over it. smile

Claps to Kayei!

Typically some of the reasons one goes vegan is for environmental reasons - isn't it wasteful to throw away a perfectly good PB&J when someone could eat it? The world isn't perfect and isn't a suitable place for unrelenting dogmas.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:17 pm
The very worst thing, imho, is when you are eating a product you know for a FACT was vegan, and they suddenly slip in a new ingredient like whey without you noticing the change.

I guess it's kinda like when you first go vegetarian, and you still slip up occasionally and eat something with gelatin in it, or eat cheese before you find out what rennet is. xp

However, I do feel like when you eat something knowing there's a big chance that it has animal products in it, you really can't call yourself vegan. You still get an "a" for effort, but choosing to ignore such a possibility is not what being vegan is all about...unless you're doing it for health reasons, but that's a little different.  

moonshyne

Aged Gaian

7,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Citizen 200

Primper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:23 pm
LOL. Don't worry. That doesn't mean that it considers you not vegetarian.
Who the ******** cares?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:45 pm
Kayei
The truth is nobody can be 100% vegan all the time, as much as we might like to be. Everyone has slip ups (especially at 6 months into your new lifestyle,). many small animals/bugs are killed in the harvest of crops, so to be vegan in that manner, one would have to go and pick their own vegetables.

So my understanding is that you be as vegan as you can be, and understand that it's ok to slip up on accident, and learn by the mistakes you make. Now you know those things aren't vegan, and can act accordingly by replacing them with things that are. It;s all part of the journey.

If you have a Kroger's in your area, they are a nice place to get groceries. I've noticed most of their store brand stuff is labled vegan on the package if it is so. (Most of their bread is vegan). They even have a "hippie isle" (what I like to call it, since it isn't all vegan or vegetarian) where they have some yummy vegan stuff (like soy cheese pizza).

I also suggest "Becoming Vegan" to anyone who hasn't read it yet. The author slips my mind, but I can post it when I get the chance to look it up.

I agree. Great advice.  

Nicola Six

Lotus_Lakshmi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:52 am
Accidents happen I am sure that every vegan/vegatarian has a story like that, last chritmas I was eating these stuffed mushrooms that we usually get for holidays and family get togethers. The ones we usually but are vegatarian but as I was on my second mushroom my mom came up to me and said she was sorry but she bought the wrong kind and there was seafood in it. stressed Sh!t Happens!  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:59 pm
reptileluver101
Ailinea

i agree with this post. sorry, but vegans neither eat nor use anything with animal products in it. if you still eat eggs or dairy products than you're a lacto-ovo-vegan to be technical. in my opinon, at least being vegetarian is better than nothing. if a vegan is mad at you for being just vegetarian (sorry but it seems to me that you may be) than ask them this: would they prefer you go back to eating animals? 0_o

Go back and re read the post.

It's full of SARCASM.

He doesn't eat eggs.  

Nadira

5,750 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100

jacketcat

Friendly Cat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:19 am
I've done the same thing >.< (besides that I'm vegetarian). I found out the other day that there was stuff in soap and cheese that wasn't vegetarian. This COMPLETELY upset me beyond belief, that the world would seriously think that it's okay to put non-vegetarian stuff in everything. I actually found that most manufactured goods have meat in them. I was going to eat a protein bar the other day, but because of my new discovery, I checked the ingredients. Whoop-di-do... there was FISH gelatin in it. I guess that's why it was a protein bar. I threw it out after that.
That was a horribly sad day for me, finding that almost nothing was vegetarian. But, you didn't know, and you really can't change the past, so it's okay to forgive and forget. Being vegan or vegetarian is about creating the least amount of harm to animals, and as long as you were trying, it's better than other people out there that don't even care.  
Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff