Welcome to Gaia! ::

Harry Potter Guild of Gaia

Back to Guilds

The most active Harry Potter and Discussion guild in Gaia! 

Tags: Harry Potter, books, Discussion, Literate, Events 

Reply Harry Potter Guild of Gaia
The Hogwarts Monthly! May Issue 2015 [OPEN READ ME] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 24 25 26 27 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you ready for the new issue !?
  Yes!!
  I didn't know we had a paper.
  Can I please be a writer !?
View Results

HPGOG_Grey_Lady

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:45 pm
I am pleased to announce, the Hogwarts Ghostly!

User Image

HPGoG UNDER SIEGE

by Lorietta & IceeWitch

Can we call it siege? I'm not too sure.
One thing is for certain: the House Ghosts are taking over HPGoG.
[Pause for screaming and terror]
Yes, I know. Seems sort of drastic.
The Grey Lady told me yesterday she'd take over our paper, but she'd allow me to write something.
As a dedicated reporter, I decided to let you guys know what's going on. At least, as much as I know.
I haven't been told much, but I can tell you that it all centers around Fright Week 2009.
No one really knows why the House Ghosts are doing this or what exactly they're doing.
Are they mad at someone for being mean to them?
Did you throw a book or pumpkin at a ghost? If so, shame on you!
You better apologize quick because I don't know how long we will have.
The future seems uncertain. I asked a few of the Professors for their take on what's going on, but they don't seem too bothered.
Professor Junimaia told me there was not a need to worry. "Maybe the ghosts are having fun, it is, after all, almost Halloween."
"As long as they're not taking over our classrooms, I see no harm," Professor Alutian assured me.
In the Kitchens, the Head Elf, Alicia, had no idea that something was happening! "Tis can't be true. I is seeing Dob--" After that statement the bouncy house elf quickly disappeared without finishing her thought.
All of the unanswered questions lead to the very last:
Is our school in danger?

User Image

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:46 pm

User Image

I know you all must have questions. What brought this upon the students and members of HPGoG? Why are we doing this? What do we want? What are the answers to your questions?? Well, I tried to interview my ghostly companions to get answers, but that attempt didn't go so well.... Here's a transcript of what transpired on that day:

Baron: GET AWAY FROM ME! I'm busy thinking of ways to scare the students!
Friar: Really my dear Baron, let's try not to scare the students too much...
Nick: Oh a scare? You know in my day, we scared people wi--
Grey Lady: Nick, no one truly cares what happened centuries ago!!! Now will you all please focus!?!?! I'm trying to get my Hogwarts Ghostly issue put together.
Friar: Don't you mean our Hogwarts Ghostly issue? This is supposed to be a team effort my friends.
Baron: Team effort? How many times must I tell you Friar...THIS IS MY FRIGHT WEEK!!!
Grey/Friar together: It's not your Fright Week!!!
Peeves: I'm afraid it's not your Bloody Baronness. I heard ol' Nick telling someone the other day that it was all his idea...
Nick: I declare that is absolutely not true! Peeves, now why would you say something like that?
Peeves: *cackle, cackle, jeer, jeer*
Friar: Peeves, you shouldn't start trouble, especially so close to Halloween.
Peeves: Oh Friar, it's what I'm best at. It's just like my scaring techniques...I'm second to none.
Baron: Peeves.....

For Gaia ToS reasons, you can't know what happens next.... (PG 13, you know)

User Image

HPGOG_Grey_Lady

HPGOG_Grey_Lady

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:45 pm

User Image

Before I post anymore of this issue, I must take the time to thank some very lovely individuals. These individuals not only graciously stepped aside as Nick, the Friar, Dobby, the Baron, and I took over, but also assisted us in many ways throughout the planning of Fright Week and this issue. So as you read this issue (and enjoy Fright Week 2009) think of them. 3nodding They worked REALLY hard.
Those people are:
IceeWitch
Junimaia
Alutian
Animekitty47
b e a r - c h o o

Special Thanks to you!
heart The Bloody Baron, The Grey Lady, The Fat Friar, Dobby, and Nearly Headless Nick

User Image

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:45 pm

User Image

All Hallows’ Eve is approaching, and we, the ghosts of Hogwarts, have taken over management of the school for the festivities.
But I expect my dear readers already know that, so I shall get right to the point.
Most of you may not know this, but for many, many years of my long-ago life, I actually managed the kitchens at a rather large monastery. Even with fasting occurring among some monks and friars, food had to be made – and such food it was!
After my death, I found that little had to change in that regard. We ghosts do not technically need to eat, but we do miss the flavors of food and drink, and so try to experience them as much as we can on the varied Holy Days at least. Given that All Hallows’ Eve is also our dear Sir Nicholas’ deathday, it is given a special consideration among the ghosts.
So, while perusing the recipes I accumulated over the years, I hit upon a small idea. Why not write an article for the Hogwarts Ghostly including a couple of little recipes, and perhaps including the cooking instructions for those who do not require…stronger flavoring?
And while I was at that, why not research some new recipes? Goodness knows I’ve not collected more for nearly five decades!
So I set to work, and here, dear readers, are two recipes I have found and deemed appropriate. The first is rather easy for ghosts and living alike – because of its ingredients, it will sour at an incredible rate, thus shortening preparation time, and it takes barely any cooking at all!
On one last note, it is suggested that any younger students seek the help of a responsible elder or a house elf to prevent accidents.

Panna Cotta with Fresh Berries

Level: easy
Total time: 6 hr 12 min (prep: 5 min; inactive prep: 6 hr; cook: 7 min)
Yield: 6 servings

Ingredients
1 cup whole milk
1 tablespoon unflavored powdered gelatin
3 cups whipping cream
1/3 cup honey
1 tablespoon sugar
Pinch of salt
2 cups assorted fresh berries

Directions
Place the milk in a small bowl. Sprinkle the gelatin over it. Let stand for 3 to 5 minutes to soften the gelatin. Pour milk mixture into a heavy saucepan and stir over medium heat just until the gelatin dissolves but the milk does not boil, about 5 minutes. Add the cream, honey, sugar, and salt (Ghosts may wish to increase the amounts of sweetening to become more flavorful). Stir until the sugar dissolves, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the heat. Pour into six glasses so that they are half-full. Cool slightly. Refrigerate until set, at least 6 hours.
Spoon the berries atop the panna cotta.

For those of the ghostly persuasion, now is the time to set the panna cotta aside for flavoring. Make sure that they are not in a cool or shaded area, but try to make sure that they are not in a place where the living may accidentally knock them over or banish them for the smell. Because of the milk they are made with and the berries, I would guess that only five days to a week of fermentation should suffice, though as this is still experimental, this number may vary.

The living need only serve the dishes once the berries are in place.

Alutian also contributed to this article. =)

User Image

HPGOG_Grey_Lady

HPGOG_Grey_Lady

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:48 pm

User Image

Editor's Note: One of the reasons this issue was posted so late was due to the fact that I did not receive all of my submisssions in a timely matter. This space was intended for a submission I never received. Sorry, but continue to enjoy the rest of the issue!

User Image

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:49 pm

User Image
Nicknapped??

As Fright Week moved along, students of a certain House received a [unpleasant?] surprise. Distraught, upset, and feeling rather lonely, Nearly Headless Nick, the Ghost of Gryffindor House, decided to take control of Gryffindor's Common Room! No student expected that surprise. Kitty, Deputy Head of Gryffindor, was still in a state of shock when I questioned her.
"It just upsets me....and confuses me. I don't understand how someone as calm, friendly, and genial as Nick.... I just don't understand it."
When I asked Nick what sort of consequences he expected, he dodged the question. Instead of answering my question, he answered his own.
"As many of you know, I worked extremely HARD to create an idea that would offer friendly (funny) competition between the Houses. NO ONE PARTICIPATED!"
Of course, this is not true. Although members of Gryffindor have not participated [as of writing this article] in Scary Stories, members of other Houses have already posted.
Nevertheless, it's evident Nick reached his limits.
The question left now is: will he be the only Ghost who goes overboard this month?

IceeWitch contributed to this article =)

User Image

HPGOG_Grey_Lady

HPGOG_Grey_Lady

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:51 pm

User Image

As promised, here's another recipe (which happens to be my favorite!)
Pumpkin Bread
Level: intermediate
Total Time: 50 min (prep: 20 min; cook: 30 min)
Yield: 2 loaves

Ingredients
3 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs, lightly beaten
16 ounces canned unsweetened pumpkin
3 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves
2/3 cup water

Directions

(I should, of course, note that the recipe for this cake was given to me by a colleague in the New World – which is called America nowadays, though why this change was made is beyond me – and they seem to use slightly different measurements. Thus, the baking temperature is in Fahrenheit, and the size of the pan in inches. If you have trouble converting these to Celsius and centimeters, respectively, you may wish to consider getting help from a teacher or a house elf – who, I understand, have become very adept at multiplying and converting various such recipes)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour two 9x5 loaf pans; set these aside. Stir together sugar and oil, and then stir in eggs and pumpkin. Combine remaining dry ingredients in a separate bowl (Ghosts: increase the various spices for greater flavor!). Blend dry ingredients and water into wet mixture, alternating. Divide batter between two loaf pans. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean (though those of the ghostly persuasion may wish to shorten this baking time for a wetter, more easily-fermented cake). Let stand 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool.

Ghosts may wish to complete this amount of preparation up to a week and a half in advance to ensure a thorough growth of mold and flavorful decay.

The living may, of course, serve upon this level of completion.

And that is all from me! Ghostly or living, may you enjoy your All Hallows’ Eve!

Alutian contributed to this article. =)

User Image

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:53 pm

User Image

When it came time to print this issue, the Bloody Baron was not quite ready. In fact it seems Fright Week 2009 is NOT over. It will be EXTENDED. However, after reading this please visit The Haunted Hall to learn all about the official Fright Week 2009.

User Image

HPGOG_Grey_Lady

HPGOG_Grey_Lady

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:54 pm

User Image

Since my ghostly companions would not cooperate, I had the dreadful task of finding someone interesting to interview for my our Hogwarts Ghostly! Looking through the memberslist, I found someone, and it nearly killed me with shock. Well, perhaps not kill because I'm already dead, but you get the point!!!
Anyway, I've decided to name Animekitty47 as the Witch Fright of the Month.
Read my interview with her below, and you'll find out why!

User Image

Q: Have you read all the books? How many times?
A: Yes, I have. I've read 1-5 dozens if not hundreds of times. I've only read 6 and 7 a few times though. rolleyes
Q: Which is your favorite?
A: Prisoner of Azkaban. 3nodding
Q: Have you seen any of the movies based on the books, if so which ones?
A: I've seen all six movies.
Q: Which is your favorite of those?
A: Order of the Phoniex or Half-Blood Prince.
Q: What is your favorite book or author? Besides Harry/J.K.?
A: Terry Goodkind's 'Sword of Truth' series [[maturity warning]]
Q: Do you have a favorite character from J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter books? Who is it?(it?s ok to have more than one, I know I do)
A: Hermione, Snape, Dumbledore, Harry, Luna.
Q: How did you find out about Gaia?
A: My real life friend Martha was part of the site and convinced me to join back in '05. Sadly, I didn't find anything interesting and left Gaia. I returned a few months later out of boredem and tripped over HPGoG. Guess what happened to my activity then? wink
Q: What's your favorite thing to do on Gaia? Outside of Gaia?
A: HPGoG and talking to friends! The guild is even more interesting now that I'm taking over so many of my Head's responsibilities since she's busy. I also like reading. 3nodding
Q: Are you in any other guilds? Are you as active in those?
A: Well, this account I'm not particularly active in other guilds, but my mule sister FantasyKitty is active in 'The Small Word Games Guild' and the poll/evertying else guild 'Why Not?'.
Q: How often would you say you are on Gaia? In the HPGoG?
A: Everyday to both questions.
Q: I've noticed that you joined on Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 1:28 am. In less than four years, you've managed to have more posts than anybody (ever) in this guild (including all of the Heads!). That's some feat, and being a ghost and all, I respect feats. How do you feel about that? Proud? Embarrassed?
A: Wait, I joined the guild in the middle of the night?! Oh, Gaia time, right. ninja
I'm 98% proud that I have more posts than even the oldest members of the guild. 4laugh The other 2% is embarassed, partly because to get there I had to be on Gaia so much to get there...but I got to talk to my friends and make new ones at the guild, so its all good! blaugh

Q: What do you think about being deemed the WitchFright of the Month?
A: I guess Kitty'll I'll be wearing my witch costume this Fright Week! [[Random Note- My actual Halloween costume is a kitty! whee ]] And, I think its awesome that I get this mention!
Q: Lastly, is there anything else you want to tell the members of the guild?
A: ....*hides* No.

User Image

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:55 pm

User Image

The Ghosts of HPGoG want to extend a very HAUNTED (or Happy) Birthday to:

Miss Love Tantei (October 21)

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

If your birthday was in October but is not listed, please make sure you post here

User Image

HPGOG_Grey_Lady

HPGOG_Grey_Lady

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:57 pm

User Image

Now that the "official" Fright Week is long over, the ghosts and myself prepared the following message:
The House Ghosts of Harry Potter Guild of Gaia want to thank everyone who helped make Fright Week 2009 a success. Although participation was not as we hoped, it was high nonetheless. Thank you all. This would not have been a success without you and we look forward to serving you again soon!

User Image

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:59 pm

User Image

Note From the Editor:

As the Guest Editor for the Halloween issue, I want to apologize for the extreme tardiness of the publication.
There were quite a few different circumstances that arose around Fright Week. However I do hope that you've enjoyed this issue.
I encourage you to participate more often. Visit the Editors Office to find out how!

User Image

HPGOG_Grey_Lady

HogwartsMonthlyEditor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:17 am
Issue Name: Hogwarts Ghostly
Issue Number: 2.1

Current Editor: The Grey Lady

Table of Contents:

Page 1: HPGoG Under Siege!
Page 2: Interview With the (Other) Ghosts!
Page 3: Special Thanks...
Page 4: Fat Friar's Frightful Recipe
Page 5: [unused page. Sorry!]
Page 6: Nicknapped?
Page 7: Friar's Favorite (for Halloween)
Page 8: Guild Happenings
Page 9: Fright of the Month
Page 10: Haunted Birthdays!
Page 11: Note from the Ghosts
Page 12: Note from the Editor

Harry Potter Guild of Gaia

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 24 25 26 27 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items