Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians
'Fake Vegetarians' Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Annoying?
  YES
  No
  I don't really care.
View Results

moonshyne

Aged Gaian

7,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:16 am
some people just don't know....I mean, if you grow up eating meat and grow up learning typical BS like "fish don't have feelings" then I can imagine it'd be hard to let it all go at once.

the people who really, really annoy me are the "real" vegans who seem to be constantly apologizing for their lifestyle. You've gotta know the people I'm talking about, the ones who talk down on the "militant" veg*ans, the ones who say "well personally, I don't eat animals, but I don't have a problem with anyone who does."

To me, this is exactly the same as a civil rights activist saying "I personally don't believe in oppressing people based on race/religion/gender, but i don't have a problem with anyone who does." It's total bs.

I just wanna take these people by the shoulders and slap some sense into them. don't sell out your morals and what you know is right just because you're afraid society might label you as an extremist.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:31 pm
I don't get annoyed by partial vegetarians. As long as they hold out a vegan diet as the ideal, and work on getting there in the way that works for them in their circumstances, I go for giving them positive reinforcement for as far as they get, and make myself a resource to help them go further. I think it's better for such people to be encouraged to stay on the path, not discouraged because their particular circumstances don't allow them to go as far as whatever ideal. New vegetarians still have habits to break, which is harder for some than others. New vegetarians still have friends and family that tempt them to give in, and they have to face that battle in their own way. Even if a new vegetarian gives in from time to time, but does just vegetarian food most of the time, that's a positive step compared to people who don't even try. The ones who try, even if they don't do as well as we do, still help advance vegetarianism by helping to create markets for the vegetarian alternatives.  

Sexual Liberationist

Xx0Happy0xX

Badgeless Informer

9,275 Points
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Advent Attendee 50
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:53 am
I get annoyed as well Because
it makes vegetarianism look like a game / something you can simply not take seriously [Something you don't stick onto]

but sometimes there's reasons you eat a specific kind of meat
i mean some people because of health or other things

but if so you do have "specific" reasons i recommend to not
label yourself a Vegetarian

because Vegetarians don't have any of those personal reasons
so if to sum up i agree people should quite labeling themselves
"Vegetarians" because they in reality aren't if so to speak they eat any kind of flesh D:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:18 pm
my friend stopped being a vegetarian for chicken wings. it really disappointed me.

most of my vegetarian friends still eat gelatin and whatnot  

tommi-chan

5,900 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Critic 0

The REAL easter bunnuh

6,150 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:11 pm
I used to only eat chicken.
but I didnt call myself vegetarian.

but now I'm Vegan biggrin
so I dont eat anything from animals  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:51 pm
My mum forces me to eat fish once every couple of months (you need omega fatty acids! it's good for your brain! vegetarians CAN eat fish, dammit, I did it when I was one!) but I don't call myself a pescetarian. Do you hate me?  

Maggoty Anne

jacketcat

Friendly Cat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:59 am
With fish, I can understand, because it's harder to make a connection with fish. I used to eat fish (when I first decided to be vegetarian), but I stopped. Also, almost all the "vegetarians" I know eat fish, so it'd be too many to get pissed out.

I do get kind of pissed when they try to convince me that fish don't have feelings/thoughts, or things like that, but otherwise I can ignore it. Usually I don't get pissed for the same reason that I don't get pissed at non-vegetarians: I can't do anything about their decision, or feel offended just because they eat meat.

My best friend eats fish, but when people ask she usually says "I'm a vegetarian that eats fish", and then follows it up with "So, I'm basically a bad vegetarian".  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:06 pm
Flesh is Flesh. If you eat something that has or once had a nervous system you are not veg. People like that make me want to poke them in the eye with a carrot!  

Lotus_Lakshmi

Maggoty Anne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:37 pm
But I don't want to eat the fishes sea kittens...

I actually feel more of a connection to cold slimy sea kittens than squealy pigs, but I want to eat neither.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:00 pm
Maggoty Anne
My mum forces me to eat fish once every couple of months (you need omega fatty acids! it's good for your brain! vegetarians CAN eat fish, dammit, I did it when I was one!) but I don't call myself a pescetarian. Do you hate me?

I definitely wouldn't say I hate you. Even just cutting down on meat is certainly better than nothing! But I would just say you're not a vegetarian if you're knowingly eating fish.

Labels can sometimes be a pain, but maybe "trying to go vegetarian" would be a better way to sum up your diet in that case?

Jinxcat666

My best friend eats fish, but when people ask she usually says "I'm a vegetarian that eats fish", and then follows it up with "So, I'm basically a bad vegetarian".

It doesn't really make sense to say, "Well, I'm a vegetarian...but not really because I eat meat..." xp If she's still eating meat she'd probably be better off saying that she's "trying to go veg" as well rather than saying that she is veg.

Like I said, labels can be a bit tricky. But when people use a label even though it does not fit them at all, that just creates more confusion.  

LorienLlewellyn

Quotable Informer

Master mariomonkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:35 pm
i'm a vegetarian and i don't eat any kind of meat and its hard cause my parents started trying to sneak meat into my food so had to make my own now (well at least i learned how to cook from this)also sucks cause i'm the only veg i know and it gets on my nerves when people tell me to eat meat even though i already told them i wouldn't..... scream scream  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:21 am
You know I'm one of those which you would slap in the face sweatdrop I have the opportunitie that EVER person is responsible for himself. I'm not like "I don't care, EAT EM" but I think that you can't indoctrinate ever person, just because you have other believes. It's like saying "my religion is this and that, and as it is the only true religion, you should think the same, and you're evil if you're not!!"
For sure I always try to convince my family and friends not to eat any meat, but I can't lock people in my cellar and menace ever person. It's not about being afraid of society (otherwise I wouldn't post here) but it's about acceppting that you can't safe the whole world. stare rolleyes  

Regenbogencolours

6,000 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200

tommi-chan

5,900 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Critic 0
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:20 pm
yea, i have three fake vegetarian friends. they dont eat chicken, but ive seen two of them pick meat off their food and throw it away, ive seen one of those two eat jell-o and the other one i see eat mashed potatoes and gravy every day.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:00 pm
Yes, this does annoy me greatly. One of the main people who inspired me to become vegetarian turns out to eat fish! scream UGH SO ANNOYING scream  

winnlovesyou

Tweezle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:54 pm
I am not bothered by what other people want to call themselves or what they may or may not eat, but it bugs me when I say I am a vegetarian and people say, "But you eat chicken (or fish), right?"

I am off of dairy and eggs too, but I don't bring that up, for fear of causing confusion and/or nervous breakdowns. (OMG, I can't believe how many products have whey in them!)  
Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff