Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Demons, the malevolent kind Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you believe in overtly malevolent noncorporeal entities?
  Yes (And they randomly atteck 15 year olds)
  Yes (but for the most part they stick to themselves, unless invited in)
  No
View Results

Aino Ailill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:13 am
TeaDidikai
redtearsblackwings
I think that out of all the believe systems that are around there can't be just one that has got it compleatly right
This is called an argument from ignorance. Your thoughts on the matter do not negate objective reality.

Quote:

or compleatly wrong.
So you believe that the Frosts raping little kids has a point of merit in it?

Is the religion itself entirely about the rape of little kids? That and nothing else?

Even if it is, not demonizing sex could be considered a 'point of merit,' though that should not, in any way, be taken as condoning their abuse.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:14 am
redtearsblackwings
Aino Ailill
What is a demon if not a malevolent entity?

Thats a very good point.

It wasn't intended as a point.  

Aino Ailill

Aino Ailill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:19 am
So, on a broad spectrum, it would be correct to define a demon as a race which largely performs acts that are detrimental to humans (be it physically harmful or promoting falsehood), malice is optional?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:43 am
Aino Ailill
TeaDidikai

Is the religion itself entirely about the rape of little kids? That and nothing else?

Through one of the Frosts books, they advocate the rape of minors to become initiated into their 'wicca'.

Tea's thread about it from over a year ago  

chaoticpuppet

Aino Ailill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:53 am
chaoticpuppet
Aino Ailill
TeaDidikai

Through one of the Frosts books, they advocate the rape of minors to become initiated into their 'wicca'.

Tea's thread about it from over a year ago

Their initiation does not comprise the entirety of the religion. As such, it seems a strawman to challenge that some merit be found in that particular aspect when the claim was laid that all religions have some aspect that make them 'not completely wrong.'  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:06 pm
Aino Ailill
So, on a broad spectrum, it would be correct to define a demon as a race which largely performs acts that are detrimental to humans (be it physically harmful or promoting falsehood), malice is optional?

I don't know that you can do that.
Each religion would define demons, or their analogs, differently and attempting to fit them under one definition would create a word who's meaning is so vague that it undermines the word itself.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

bondage bunnie

4,500 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:20 pm
Recursive Paradox

bondage bunnie
There is no single world view or religion that can be all correct

I find it distinctly amusing that you make an assertion as per your world view that immediately negates itself logically.

It's like the people who make objective reality claims about how all of reality is subjective. The irony. It poisons me with hilarity.

Ok so you kind of understand what im saying then, but then completely missed the point. And yes I think religion is Nihilistic. Doesn't stop me from having one.

On a philosophical level "There is no world view that can be completely correct." the thesis fail its initial idea for it is a defeatist statement. All i have to say is when someone comes up to me and says "I have all the answers", I respond with "Credible sources required."

Sorry about the christian bashing its a bad habit wasn't intended.
And fine Zionist bad choice of words how about the Ecumenical religions.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:21 pm
CuAnnan
Aino Ailill

Each religion would define demons, or their analogs, differently and attempting to fit them under one definition would create a word who's meaning is so vague that it undermines the word itself.

A word is supposed to have unity. It should be able to be transplanted from one scenario to another and keep its integrity. Otherwise, what is the purpose of calling each separate interpretation by the same word? It does not offer clarity or easy communication.  

Aino Ailill

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:22 pm
bondage bunnie
Recursive Paradox

bondage bunnie
There is no single world view or religion that can be all correct

I find it distinctly amusing that you make an assertion as per your world view that immediately negates itself logically.

It's like the people who make objective reality claims about how all of reality is subjective. The irony. It poisons me with hilarity.

Ok so you kind of understand what im saying then, but then completely missed the point. And yes I think religion is Nihilistic. Doesn't stop me from having one.

On a philosophical level "There is no world view that can be completely correct." the thesis fail its initial idea for it is a defeatist statement. All i have to say is when someone comes up to me and says "I have all the answers", I respond with "Credible sources required."

Sorry about the christian bashing its a bad habit wasn't intended.
And fine Zionist bad choice of words how about the Ecumenical religions.

Can someone translate this into English, please? Apart from the first paragraph, I can't dissemble it.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:30 pm
CuAnnan
Aino Ailill

Also, I'm not sure 'race' is the word you really want to use there. It implies a common origin of all these beings, as well as a separation from all other spiritual beings. Speciation, as it were. Unless you want to go with the ethnic definition of race, which would also be difficult to apply.

Also there's no such thing as race. kthnxbye  

FlySammyJ

Liberal Dabbler

Aino Ailill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:45 pm
demisara
CuAnnan
Aino Ailill

Also, I'm not sure 'race' is the word you really want to use there. It implies a common origin of all these beings, as well as a separation from all other spiritual beings. Speciation, as it were. Unless you want to go with the ethnic definition of race, which would also be difficult to apply.

My use of 'race' was not to imply that all demons were of a single common ancestry but all demons belonged to a common ancestry (or related group, as they may not reproduce), of which there may be many.

Say, cats, mice, and gerbils are demons. They are not related to each other (well, they're mammals but meh) but they might each be called 'demon' in that they are, as a species, inclined to bring Man to harm.

So, yes, speciation. So, what is the issue with this?

Quote:

Proof, pl0x.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:46 pm
demisara

Sure there is.
It's just a socially and anthropologically constructed thing.
It exists, though.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

FlySammyJ

Liberal Dabbler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:59 pm
Aino Ailill
demisara
CuAnnan
Aino Ailill

My use of 'race' was not to imply that all demons were of a single common ancestry but all demons belonged to a common ancestry (or related group, as they may not reproduce), of which there may be many.

Say, cats, mice, and gerbils are demons. They are not related to each other (well, they're mammals but meh) but they might each be called 'demon' in that they are, as a species, inclined to bring Man to harm.

No issue, I was just trying to clarify your meaning. I don't have much experience with this sort of being, so I can't comment.

Quote:
Quote:

Proof, pl0x.

The American Anthropological Association's stance
So yeah, it's culturally constructed, and you can't make generalizations (biological or cultural) based on it. Skin tone can tell you nothing about a person. Ethnicity, now that's a whole other matter.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:15 pm
demisara
Aino Ailill
demisara
CuAnnan
Aino Ailill

No issue, I was just trying to clarify your meaning. I don't have much experience with this sort of being, so I can't comment.

Quote:
Quote:

Proof, pl0x.

The American Anthropological Association's stance
So yeah, it's culturally constructed, and you can't make generalizations (biological or cultural) based on it. Skin tone can tell you nothing about a person. Ethnicity, now that's a whole other matter.

Ah, I didn't mean 'race' as in 'Caucasian' but as in 'the Race of Man.'

OED:

3. Any of the major divisions into which living creatures may be separated. (Chiefly not in technical use.) Cf. KIND n. 10.

a. A class, kind, or species of beings other than humans or animals.

b. The class of humans; mankind. Formerly freq. with the.

c. The kind or class to which similar animals or plants belong.

In the OED, there are eight separate entries for 'race' as a noun and twelve when including the adjectives (2) and verbs (4)!  

Aino Ailill

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:25 pm
Aino Ailill

Pretty much. See, since it's pretty much Standing Stone + Child Molestation, you can cut away the child rape and review Standing Stone alone.

Quote:
Even if it is, not demonizing sex could be considered a 'point of merit,' though that should not, in any way, be taken as condoning their abuse.
Since there are sex positive religious positions independent of raping children, I'd say that we can skip that shoehorned sense of merit and apply it where it belongs.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff