Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Sy's Arts :) [updated 12/13] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Syrella
Crew

7,900 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:37 pm
fun with markers

Focus on the bunny. xD Anatomy and stuff could be better, but I spent like no time on the sketch and all of the time on the coloring. So that is my excuse.  
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:49 pm
Hi syrella, I just joined the guild yesterday, nice to meet you! <3

The bunny's pretty cute. Her expression shows a flirty personality well. My only suggestion would be her right cheek, which seems a bit big compared to the left one. I hope that helps!

If you have the time, I hope to see you at my newly constructed WIP thread as well.  

Spoggly

Dapper Nerd

Syrella
Crew

7,900 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:22 pm
Hi Spoogly!

I didn't even notice your post until just now, actually.

I think you're right about the cheeks being a little lopsided. xD I noticed that myself, but it was a little too late to fix it. Another problem I saw was also with her right arm. It's way too thick in comparison to the other one.

Oh well, I guess I'll just watch out for that next time.

-----------

Here's my newest one btw:
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee320/jibrienne/Art/fullsizegaiaavi3.png
(linked because it was a little big)

And another:
User Image

Once again, excuse the poor quality. These were imaged by a cell phone camera.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:02 pm
Hi again Syrella!

I'll be giving you my first redline crit in this guild. ^^ I like her pose, she looks balanced and relaxed.

Mainly I'd like to point out the proportions of the head, the placement of the cheeks and the ears. I hope this helps you with your chibi style.

User Image  

Spoggly

Dapper Nerd

Syrella
Crew

7,900 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:18 am
Yay, thanks! An actual redline! heart

I see what you mean about the ear and cheek placement. Y'know, it's funny but I don't even notice where I go wrong sometimes. =.= But yes, I'll definitely watch out for this more now. Knowledge is power!

Glad you like the pose though! I think it was called "I don't know what other poses to do so we're going with a basic one"! I thought the feet looked a little off, though I am glad you think she's balanced. Haha. I just need to raise the back one up a tiny bit. That might help. Or possibly bothering to detail out the hands... of course that would involve me not mangling them horribly. xDD

OK, I'll see if I can't make a new version of this one at some point. Thanks again for the help!  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:48 am
syrella
Yay, thanks! An actual redline! heart

I see what you mean about the ear and cheek placement. Y'know, it's funny but I don't even notice where I go wrong sometimes. =.= But yes, I'll definitely watch out for this more now. Knowledge is power!

Glad you like the pose though! I think it was called "I don't know what other poses to do so we're going with a basic one"! I thought the feet looked a little off, though I am glad you think she's balanced. Haha. I just need to raise the back one up a tiny bit. That might help. Or possibly bothering to detail out the hands... of course that would involve me not mangling them horribly. xDD

OK, I'll see if I can't make a new version of this one at some point. Thanks again for the help!

You're welcome! Glad my redlining helped out. <3

As for feet looking off on a chibi.. well it's a chibi so people are more forgiving so long as they're symmetric. ^^  

Spoggly

Dapper Nerd

Syrella
Crew

7,900 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:32 pm
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image

Some more unfinished art I thought I'd share... x3 I need to get crackin' soon.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:57 am
I'm liking the style of that first chibi (more than the previous one I redlined for you before)! =D Are you planning to ink and color it? My only suggestion for improvement of the sketch would be arm length: the arms should just reach up to approximately half of her thighs, instead of all the way down to the knees.  

Spoggly

Dapper Nerd

Syrella
Crew

7,900 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:12 pm
@Spoggly: Thanks for the comment. xD

I didn't realize I was using a different style, per say, but I think the anatomy and stuff is a maybe just a bit better in the new one. I'll take your advice about the arm length. Honestly I've been trying to fix the proportions I use but sometimes I still mess up. I'll keep watching out for it, thanks!

And yes, I do intend to add color. And clean up the lines a bit more. It's still too messy to give to anyone, I fear. xD  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:56 pm
The first chibi is really cute! And I like the sketchy look of your third work. I can't really find much to critique on that hadn't been addressed already.

Let's see...for the second work, you may want to draw in a bit of the clavicles and add a little more volume to the hair on our left to match the volume of hair on the right side.
I feel like a bit of the left side of the skull is missing somehow.
Anyway, great job for taking on the challenge of drawing that angle. (I find it very tough. D*: )  

Yamiko

Shy Lunatic

Syrella
Crew

7,900 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:16 pm
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
Sketch dump :3 Newest -> older.

@Yamiko: Thanks for your earlier comments. :3 Sorry I didn't notice you'd written anything sooner.

Yes, I need to really study the anatomy of the shoulders and neck. Even though I do so many headshots, it's probably one of my weaker areas. ^^;

As for volume, I'm still working on that too. It's hard for me, though.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:54 am
Two more full body freebies, since I don't get enough practice. :'D I'm interested more in how the figures feel as a whole, not so much the nitpicky details. Both I spent about half-an-hour on and I don't intend to go back and refine them.

User Image
User Image  

Syrella
Crew

7,900 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100

lea florens

Dapper Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:09 pm
Hiya Syrella! Your pictures have really nice anatomy! smile
Just to be fiddly, the 1st picture's right fingers look alittle stiff, but apart from that, no trouble from the anatomy point of view.

The shading in the first picture might be alittle strange. If the light was coming from the bottom of her face, (which I assume was what the red highlight are), the bottom of her eyes would not be highlighted (as that is concave and would be in the 'shadow' area.) The top parts of the eye (between the eye and the eyebrows should be instead.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:25 pm
Lea Florens
Hiya Syrella! Your pictures have really nice anatomy! smile
Just to be fiddly, the 1st picture's right fingers look alittle stiff, but apart from that, no trouble from the anatomy point of view.

The shading in the first picture might be alittle strange. If the light was coming from the bottom of her face, (which I assume was what the red highlight are), the bottom of her eyes would not be highlighted (as that is concave and would be in the 'shadow' area.) The top parts of the eye (between the eye and the eyebrows should be instead.

Thanks!

Yeah it was kind of hard to tell how the lighting should be. >_< It's that magma colored avi skin that I was trying to render. And to render it quickly was kind of... ugh. I did the best I could, but it didn't come out as nicely as I'd hoped. xD

Fingers and hands are always difficult for me. cool But it's also partly me being lazy, and partly because I was trying to finish the image too quickly. If I'm in a rush, the details fall to the wayside and unfortunately, I include hands in that category. >_< I'll try to watch out for it from now on though. ^-^  

Syrella
Crew

7,900 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100

Syrella
Crew

7,900 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:32 pm
User Image
Newest one~ a theme pic for a new gold shop I'm trying to open. Not meant to be anything too brilliant, but I did try. xD  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff