Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Gaian Art Mentors
Does your family support you as an artist? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Does your family support you as an artist?
  Yes. They back me 100% no matter what I do, odd or outrageous.
  No. They would rather not be seen in public with "the artist.
  Half-heartedly. They don't understand me, but don't stop me from doing my own "thing".
  Indifferent. They have no idea that I'm an artist and could care less if they did.
View Results

Copic-Kun

Supportive Browser

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:22 am
My parents always told me that i was really talented but they never even bothered to look really hard at my art. They want me to not go to Art college  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:10 pm
My grandparents support me more than anybody. My grandma, being a painter, is pushing me to go to go to the art institute in san fransisco. But im not shure.. And advice?

Podium

Lonely Man-Lover

13,900 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Way Too Many Pies 300

apiyo

Blessed Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:58 pm
My family's opinion of my art never really had anything to do with my liking art. I never show them anything, even when I was little, and I'm pretty self motivating. I decided to change my major even though my mom was apprehensive and I thought my sister would get mad at me for not doing science. Turns out she said she didn't care and that I was grown, which is weird because it never stopped my family from nagging before.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:15 pm
I'm extremely happy to see that most (who have voted) have supportive families.

And I'm really happy to see no one has a family who is embarrassed!

What about friends?  

Sazarac

Yvienna

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:04 am
Whenever I show my parents a drawing, they could care less. I don't think they support me "much" as in most parents are supposed to do. They really don't support me in anything. xd But I voted Half-heartedly.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:09 am
Whenever I show my parents a drawing, they could care less. I don't think they support me "much" as in most parents are supposed to do. They really don't support me in anything. xd But I voted Half-heartedly.  

Yvienna

Hinabi

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:22 pm
My family on my mother's side has a hidden artistic side to them. (It's not blatantly in-your-face obvious)

They dont really care what I do as long as I'm successful at it (money-wise or fame.) sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:53 pm
The first time I picked up a pencil both my family and I knew I sucked horribly. lol
My mother was afraid that I'd get severely crushed because there were so many people better than me. So she didn't really encourage it, but she never told me to stop. A few years later and I'm still drawing. I'm not old enough for college, but I do take an art class where I get assistance. My mother is proud to see how I've advanced in my art work and still reminds me of the first time I picked up a pencil.  

Biggled

lalamariana

3,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:07 pm
My parents could care-less about me in general.

As long as I have a house to take care of them when they get old I could be selling crack. I tell them I'll be rich someday and they buy me supplies. I am planning for a double major in art and Pharmacy with a minor in business (<--I don't even know if that is possible), but as long as I can paint while making loads of money selling pills, I am good and so are my parents. My sister on the other hand thinks I should drop out of school right now and surpass the Mona Lisa. I told her to stop inhaling rainbows. So sure, my family supports me while I am doing well.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:52 pm
that was actually a difficult question to answer because in a way, 2 of the possible answers are right...I did go with "half-hearted" tho...

been drawing all my life...mum said I was 1 yr old & held up a scribble & happily proclaimed "horsie!"...been hooked since...as to the support, not so much in my school years -- kept getting yelled at for putting too much time into a "hobby" & not choosing a real career (funny that mum went ballistic one time because I called her crocheting a hobby *rolling eyes*)...

the family is much more supportive now...I think it's because I just kept tripping along to that different drummer...not easy being the odd one in the family...  

PiraticalMorgan

Vena

5,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:30 am
my family has always been really supportive. I'm really lucky to be around so many positive people. My grandparents are supportive of me too... and my boyfriend's family too. whee  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:27 pm
Hmmm, do they support & encourage me? Well, at least that's what I think. I know they would love for me to go to a MIT for forensic science which is something I think about as a possible choice for college, but they say I should do what I want. They say I have a few more years to pick (in other words, them hoping I don't try skipping down artists lane)

They do buy me art supplies though sometimes, but not everything. XD True, if they did, they'd most likely be spending hundreds a week on supplies...I guess in general they're supportive.

zosmaticy

Murkytea

Invisible Gekko

8,275 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:33 pm
I don't get any support from my immediate family. But some members of my extended family do what they can to make up for it.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:53 pm
Copic-Kun
My parents always told me that i was really talented but they never even bothered to look really hard at my art. They want me to not go to Art college
Youd make a really good cartoonist biggrin (thats a good thing by the way [to me]) And why should your parents control YOUR future career? -_o  

ACDC1551

ACDC1551

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:56 pm
ITs complicated see my parents dont like dene it but they also dont like, push me into it as a career or anything . I guess they do support me, in a way, i mean they'll get me art supplies in stuff, and my dad can drw really well also, but they dont ever really look at it unless i say somthing, i guess they do support me. o_O
like i said its complicated  
Gaian Art Mentors

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces