Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]
Fergi's Mentor Thread- No Slots Open, But Open for Critiques Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Best Style of Art?
  Anime/ Manga
  Cartoony
  Western Comic Book
  "The Masters" , i.e. Michelango, etc.
  Misc
  ALL ART! :D
View Results

~FergiGirl~

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:45 pm
Girls don't always have more eyelashes, I've actually found it the exact opposite. My younger bro used the longest eyelashes and the most adorable blue eyes I've ever seen, and he still has the long lashes (though his eyes aren't as pretty now).

I've seen plenty of ugly features on people >.<
Here's the rest of my examples, but they're awfully sketchy and ... well doodled on D:

ears

mouths

noses 1

noses 2  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:44 pm
omg your brother is a girl disguise! -runs around screaming- xD

Eh, lucky you xD
I'm still working I'll upload one by one when I get the time.  

Luna Kitsune Kasumi

4,450 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

~FergiGirl~

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:45 pm
Heya not really active mentees!
New lesson time! biggrin

LESSON TWO: THE FACE

dun dun duuuunn.
I bet you didn't see that coming.

The lessons will now be weekly, starting with this one.

Just like before, anime or realistic, doesn't matter, except I want you all to try at least one realistic face.

How bout we start off with 5 female faces, all different.
By different, I don't mean just change the eyes or the hair.

In fact, don't draw hair! I want to be able to tell them apart even without hair. Challenge yourselves!

That doesn't mean you have to draw ugly girls, though that might be good practice.
There are so many different ways to view beauty, that you could draw all pretty girls and be able to tell them apart.

If you think I'm just rambling on and have no clue what I'm saying, go here

The Amazing Cedarseed and check out the "guides to human types"

While you're there, you may want to check out some of her other tutorials. She's got some really helpful stuff in there smile

For the realistic face, try and get a reference. I 'll look on DeviantArt to see if I can find some good stock that we can use if you need a reference.

If you have any questions, just ask.

For now, I think I'll go work on my audition for an OCT I'm entering on DeviantArt.
Lotus Out!
(¯`v´¯;
.`·.¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·´¨; ¸.·*¨;
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ .·´ ¸¸.·¨¯`·.♥  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:20 pm
May I apply to become one of your mentees?
I have no formal art training, self-taught (though I'm taking an art foundations 1 class next semester). I'm in highschool (just a f.y.i. xD) I don't plan on making a living off of art, but on the other hand, I am not really sure what I am going to do for a career. In other words, be as harsh as you can on anything I make for this.

Here's my DeviantArt if you need examples, though I haven't updated it in a couple of months.

A--Minty_Fresh--Mint

~FergiGirl~

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:39 pm
A--Minty_Fresh--Mint
I have no formal art training, self-taught (though I'm taking an art foundations 1 class next semester). I'm in highschool (just a f.y.i. xD) I don't plan on making a living off of art, but on the other hand, I am not really sure what I am going to do for a career. In other words, be as harsh as you can on anything I make for this.

Here's my DeviantArt if you need examples, though I haven't updated it in a couple of months.

Well, if you're as old as you say you are on DA profile, you probably need to start thinking about a career, or at least what you want to major in, but shouldn't be like all "OMG wth am I going to do?" because you still have a few years to figure it out. I still have no clue what specific job I want to do after college, but I know what major I want.

I'm not a digital painter yet- I wanted to wait until I got a tablet- so I won't be able to help with techniques and such, but I can help with the proportion of human figures and stuff like that.

The lesson next week will be on the proportions of the body, and I'm about to post this week's lesson.
Is there anything preventing you from uploading assignments as you finish them, like maybe schoolwork or such?  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:54 pm
~FergiGirl~
A--Minty_Fresh--Mint

Well, if you're as old as you say you are on DA profile, you probably need to start thinking about a career, or at least what you want to major in, but shouldn't be like all "OMG wth am I going to do?" because you still have a few years to figure it out. I still have no clue what specific job I want to do after college, but I know what major I want.

I'm not a digital painter yet- I wanted to wait until I got a tablet- so I won't be able to help with techniques and such, but I can help with the proportion of human figures and stuff like that.

The lesson next week will be on the proportions of the body, and I'm about to post this week's lesson.
Is there anything preventing you from uploading assignments as you finish them, like maybe schoolwork or such?

I have been thinking about the future a lot, it is hard to decide; I do not plan on going to college for art, but I still wish to improve my skills. Like you said, I still have a couple of years.

Yes, I want to improve on anatomy, composition, etc. I have a scanner, and I would be able to upload assignments at least once a week.
I'll do the other assignments to catch up, and I'll have those posted on Thursday and the lesson you are going to put up, I'll have by Monday, if that's okay. >.<

A--Minty_Fresh--Mint

~FergiGirl~

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:13 pm
Alright.

LESSON TWO AND 1/2: THE FACE?

This week is the same as before, except do male faces instead of females.

Quote:

Heya not really active mentees!
New lesson time! biggrin

LESSON TWO (and 1/2) : THE FACE

dun dun duuuunn.
I bet you didn't see that coming.

The lessons will now be weekly, starting with this one.

Just like before, anime or realistic, doesn't matter, except I want you all to try at least one realistic face.

How bout we start off with 5 female faces, all different.
By different, I don't mean just change the eyes or the hair.

In fact, don't draw hair! I want to be able to tell them apart even without hair. Challenge yourselves!

That doesn't mean you have to draw ugly girls, though that might be good practice.
There are so many different ways to view beauty, that you could draw all pretty girls and be able to tell them apart.

If you think I'm just rambling on and have no clue what I'm saying, go here Amazing Cedarseed
and check out the "guides to human types"

While you're there, you may want to check out some of her other tutorials. She's got some really helpful stuff in there smile

For the realistic face, try and get a reference. I 'll look on DeviantArt to see if I can find some good stock that we can use if you need a reference.

If you have any questions, just ask.

For now, I think I'll go work on my audition for an OCT I'm entering on DeviantArt that I already finished but want to redo -w-;;
Lotus Out!
(¯`v´¯;
.`·.¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·´¨; ¸.·*¨;
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ .·´ ¸¸.·¨¯`·.♥

I actually did find some wonderful stock we could use as reference, I plan on using some of it for my personal art heart

I'll link those in another post (i.e, after I found them all wink they're scattered throughout my DA favs)

I realize that my mentees have lives of their own (one of them is in college!), but I wanted to point out that neither has uploaded their assignments since they joined the thread. The only person who has updated wasn't even a mentee. I can't make this mentor relationship work if I'm the only one putting any effort into even posting in the thread.

I'll let it slide for now, but once winter breaks comes around and if you don't at least attempt to do some of the lesson when you're not with family (heck, even with family- I draw all the time in the car on the way to my gran's house because I'm not usually the one driving), I will be very disappointed in you, and question whether or not you are really determined to learn.

I can post a thousand lessons, but it wouldn't matter if it didn't help anyone because they didn't read it.

Of course, the newest mentee is excluded from my mini-rant because she just joined the bandwagon today. I look forward to teaching you heart  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:18 pm
A--Minty_Fresh--Mint
~FergiGirl~
A--Minty_Fresh--Mint

I have been thinking about the future a lot, it is hard to decide; I do not plan on going to college for art, but I still wish to improve my skills. Like you said, I still have a couple of years.

Yes, I want to improve on anatomy, composition, etc. I have a scanner, and I would be able to upload assignments at least once a week.
I'll do the other assignments to catch up, and I'll have those posted on Thursday and the lesson you are going to put up, I'll have by Monday, if that's okay. >.<
That is wonderful smile
Do you think you could update your DA more regularly so I can watch your progress?  

~FergiGirl~

A--Minty_Fresh--Mint

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:51 pm
~FergiGirl~
That is wonderful smile
Do you think you could update your DA more regularly so I can watch your progress?

Yeah, sure!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:59 pm
Alrighty, here is some awesome stock I found that we CAN use for this lesson as long as you give credit to the original artist.

If you don't have DA account, you might have to contact the artist. That or make a DA account, which the latter would be easier because you wouldn't have to wait for a reply.

http://nichtssagend.deviantart.com/art/24-03-32199298
This one you have to ask first, since it will be for use out of DA.

http://thepropagation3.deviantart.com/art/Know-No-Fear-29-58955240
This one you just have to let him know you used it, I can probably do so for you if you don't want to make a DA account (weenie >: P )

http://katanaz-stock.deviantart.com/art/Male-Stock-28-82236727
This one I can inform him that you used it.

Now here's for the really daring.

http://skydancer-stock.deviantart.com/art/Skydancer-Stock-5146-145860549
This one we will have to contact if you don't have a DA account, as again it will not be for the DA website.

I'm not an expert on colleges and what they want to see in a portfolio, but my AP art teacher says they LOVE art of old people.
I think it's because it requires more skill and patience to draw old persons than to draw young people. Drawing an anime chick is easy, I can draw one in a matter of minutes, maybe 15 minutes if you want it inked. Drawing old people? Not so much.  

~FergiGirl~

Tiara_Estella

Shirtless Shapeshifter

7,800 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:24 am
~Nyuu~
I AM ALIVE!

And repeating lessons until I can upload them.

My cel is dead, my house has no internet (hopefully get internet on SAT)
And today was my last final so I won't be able to use Campus comps after this until next semester o-o;;;

So uh yeah, male/female face...right lets see how that goes xD
Expect to blobs <.<;;; >.>;;;
xD j/k  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:23 pm
Tiara_Estella
~Nyuu~
I AM ALIVE!

And today was my last final so I won't be able to use Campus comps after this until next semester o-o;;;

xD j/k
No internet? :/
I didn't know about that!
I would die without internet D:

Out of curiosity, when does your next semester start?
Ours starts January something. like the 3 or 4 or something >.>

If you find you have some trouble with the faces, use some references. If you can get on the internet, DeviantArt has a WONDERFUL stock community for these kinds of things, one such club can be found here and another over here. If no internet is available, magazines and photos make good references as well. Once my fat a** cat gets off my lap so I can move again (she weighs 13 pounds! I love her though heart ), I'll work on an example of a face done with reference. smile

It's one I've been wanting to do for awhile, but couldn't because of finals >o<

Yay for Winter Break! heart

Now that I know your situation, don't stress too much over not being able to upload assignments. You're not just putting it off or something, you've got a legitimate reason. I'm sorry if I was a little pushy, but you all did say for me to not go easy on you wink
Hope you get internet soon! heart  

~FergiGirl~

roxas-someones half

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:45 pm
I'm moving to Australia right now and will not be able to post anything.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:42 pm
roxas-someones half
I'm moving to Australia right now and will not be able to post anything.
D:
Woah. That's pretty big sweatdrop
Yea, I'd imagine you wouldn't be able to post anything for awhile. Can you still get on and get the lessons so you can practice a little, even if you can't upload?

Moving to a different state is hard enough (I've had to do that almost every 3 years of my life because of my dad's job OTL), but another country probably adds even more stress.
Thank you very much for updating me on your status 3nodding
Hope everything goes well! heart  

~FergiGirl~

Tiara_Estella

Shirtless Shapeshifter

7,800 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:08 pm
~FergiGirl~
Tiara_Estella
~Nyuu~
I AM ALIVE!

xD j/k
No internet? :/
I didn't know about that!
I would die without internet D:

Out of curiosity, when does your next semester start?
Ours starts January something. like the 3 or 4 or something >.>

If you find you have some trouble with the faces, use some references. If you can get on the internet, DeviantArt has a WONDERFUL stock community for these kinds of things, one such club can be found here and another over here. If no internet is available, magazines and photos make good references as well. Once my fat a** cat gets off my lap so I can move again (she weighs 13 pounds! I love her though heart ), I'll work on an example of a face done with reference. smile

It's one I've been wanting to do for awhile, but couldn't because of finals >o<

Yay for Winter Break! heart

Now that I know your situation, don't stress too much over not being able to upload assignments. You're not just putting it off or something, you've got a legitimate reason. I'm sorry if I was a little pushy, but you all did say for me to not go easy on you wink
Hope you get internet soon! heart

Pushy = good for me o-o
Got internet...and a sketchbook for christams... Santa read my mind cuz it was on no list xD
Was dead for a while because we went on a family trip.

I'll start sketching out faces...errr blobs... again today while I wait for my friend to arrive in the airport then I might me gone until she leaves o-o;;;;

But i practice -nod- doesn't mean it looks any better xD  
Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces