Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Trolls or Fluffs? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:13 am
bondage bunnie
I just wanna say... Troll is a derogatory term based of the hated/loved creatures from many European and Scandinavian mythos.
You seem to be ignorant of the origin of the word. Trolling stemmed from the fishing term. It was later associated with the mythological figure.
Quote:

As such You are making fun of my religion and I think you should post an apology right away.
If you were correct, I would have considered offering one.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:39 am
TeaDidikai
bondage bunnie
I just wanna say... Troll is a derogatory term based of the hated/loved creatures from many European and Scandinavian mythos.
You seem to be ignorant of the origin of the word. Trolling stemmed from the fishing term. It was later associated with the mythological figure.
Quote:

As such You are making fun of my religion and I think you should post an apology right away.
If you were correct, I would have considered offering one.

Where do you derive your claim on the etymology of the word from?  

Aino Ailill

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:48 am
The Oxford English Dictionary.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:52 am
To throw my two cents in, and be advised that I myself am flawed enough to not always follow this:

Forgive. To be sure, they may be using the name of my lord and saviour or the name of an entity that I hold dear in an abusive way. But this is a reflection upon them, not on me.

If I reach out to them in kindness and understanding, I feel I can be a more accesible door to any actual fluffs. Honey catches more flies and all that, but also, we tend to listen to those we feel listen to us. We tend to value those we feel value us.

If I reach out to a troll in kindness and understanding, then no matter what tricks they may pull from their bag, they aren't going to get the reaction they search for.

Vitriole begets vitriole, and while the fluffs and trolls both post venomous content, if we don't take our supposed roles of educators, or role models or what have you seriously, we end up playing a vitriolic game that doesn't help anyone.

This meek approach is not going to find favor with all of you, and I understand this. This may be for personal, cultural, or spiritual reasons, and these I understand. But it is the way that I am called to, albeit not the one I always follow. If terseness is what is needed to bring another to the fold, then so be it, however, I shall leave that to those who follow that path.  

Gho the Girl

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:53 am
CuAnnan
A book is only worth so much in a discussion as people are beholden to it.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:59 am
CuAnnan

It doesn't mention fishing on the online version which draws from the 2nd Edition, 1989.  

Aino Ailill

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:01 am
Aino Ailill
It doesn't mention fishing on the online version which draws from the 2nd Edition, 1989.

Sorry, misread the citations on the TrollNet lore page.
They say that it's a shortening of trolling for suckers.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:32 pm
Gho the Girl
CuAnnan
No, it's only worth as much as it is accurate. Flipping either way would end in any of a few different fallacies depending on how it is phrased. wink  

TeaDidikai

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:33 pm
TeaDidikai
Gho the Girl
CuAnnan
No, it's only worth as much as it is accurate. Flipping either way would end in any of a few different fallacies depending on how it is phrased. wink

Establishing an object point to reference accuracy is a very perplexing dilemma tho.
Is it possible for humans to even have objective accuracy in anything? Or is it all mere accept consensus between the perceiving parties who are supplying observation?
If this is the case, would it not mean that all books accuracy is based entirely upon the merit that people project upon it, which is derived from commonality of perspective?  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:09 am
Wow i go away for a year and this place gets way too serious. Take life to serious and you'll never make it out alive. Wanna sling mud you use the term ignorance way to much. It means the state of choosing to subjectively be unaware of information. But seriously lighten up. I like you Fiddlers Green. Humor and deep thought noted and appreciated. Dialect top rate.  

bondage bunnie

4,500 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hygienic 200

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:22 am
bondage bunnie
Wow i go away for a year and this place gets way too serious. Take life to serious and you'll never make it out alive.
Really?

My brother takes life too seriously. He's in peak health, gets amazing grades in school, and holds down a steady job. He's a bit staunchy, and conservative, but overall pretty emotionally well.

My semi-ex doesn't take life seriously enough. He's unemployed, emotionally haywire, doesn't much apply himself to anything anymore beyond bare necessities, partly because he doesn't have much to do what with his revoked license, lack of income, and outstanding debts.

Now, you tell me, who's surviving life better, hm?
Quote:
Wanna sling mud you use the term ignorance way to much.
We use it when it's applicable.
Quote:
It means the state of choosing to subjectively be unaware of information.
No, that's willful ignorance. Ignorance is just not knowing.

Very young children are ignorant, but not always willfully so. They just haven't experience enough of life. I'm ignorant. I have so much to learn.
Quote:
But seriously lighten up.
No, we won't. We take this seriously, because we are serious people. Yes, that sounds horribly sarcastic given light of certain memes, but I assure you, that while most of us here do like a good laugh here and there, when it comes to this issue and several others, we are pretty serious.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:35 am
Gho the Girl
... Honey catches more flies and all that, but also, we tend to listen to those we feel listen to us. We tend to value those we feel value us.

Vitriole begets vitriole, and while the fluffs and trolls both post venomous content, if we don't take our supposed roles of educators, or role models or what have you seriously, we end up playing a vitriolic game that doesn't help anyone.

*big thumbs up*

Any time you respond with perceived negativity, people tend to shut down. I find that "friendly information sharing" is better received and tolerated than "here is my correct information that I will now lord over you, and how dare you for not thinking as deeply as I do."

My gut response is to go for the latter, until I realize how unnecessary and arrogant this is. What irritates me is stupidity, (i.e. lack of initiative to verify information, lazy reasoning, shallow analysis, persistent closed-mindedness) but if I share my information and they strive to understand it, my source of irritation would be removed.  

Bastemhet

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:43 am
I'm displacing the urge to ask, in my best (which is to say, only bad) Heath Ledger (R.I.P.) (altho Mark Hamil might be able to pull the line off as well) Why so serious?
However, that is mostly just the level to which that particular bit of pop culture has infected me.

Now, that out of the system, methinks I'll get back on topic.

Methinks, Bondage Bunny, that the level of intensity, is related to a ware and tear as it were. The matter is a sore one as it has come up frequently. I can still giggle about it for twin reasons:
1. I also took a little break and let myself cool down. Even as soft as Fluff is, with enough constant motion it will cause friction, which leads to heat, which inflames hot emotions... like anger, which I already have enough of. Also, many cultures hold Trolls to have some skill at smithing, usually hot forging, thus, they not only heat their subject, but also hammer it, getting it all bent out of shape. This treatment can quickly lead to protective counter measures being taken. Fluff gets vacuumed up and adventurers are hired to slay the local Trolls. any hint of either of them being back, leads to... reaction.
2. I've been looking at the tree of my own concern alot lately, and realized that.... alot of the the stuff on the tree really didn't matter. Like teh interwebs. So I've been pruning it. Sure I have some friends here, whom I do love. However, barring that, I really don't care. The Realm of Lightning and Innovation is over-run with Trolls, the sky so choked with Fluff that one can barely see the stars, and the landscape constantly in Flames. I have accepted this, and have internalized that I am a little red x away from being free of all of it. So I can take it all with enough salt to make Utah feel insignificant. Don't get me wrong, I still own every word I post, and I do hope it helps... but if it doesn't, I am neither shocked nor much put out. This also relates to my philosophies on Knowledge and Truth, which generally place the burden of action on the person who wants them, but that is neither here nor there.

However, other people, I do realize...
1. Might be suffering from constant exposure to irritants and thus may be more... ~le gasp~ irritated.
and
2. My perspective on the significance of internet interaction is not universal. I aught respect other people's stances.

DB, methinks your sib isn't taking life too seriously, now, just seriously enough. Too serious, methinks, would involve stressing to the point of harm to the self or whole.

I for one, wish ignorant didn't have such negative connotations. It is only the state of being empty of knowledge, a vessel ready to be filled. It is considered so bad in some places tho... so shameful... that people would rather not admit it publicly and fix it, for fear of ridicule, than actually ameliorate it. crying  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:21 am
Fiddlers Green

Is it possible for humans to even have objective accuracy in anything?

Or is it all mere accept consensus between the perceiving parties who are supplying observation?
If this is the case, would it not mean that all books accuracy is based entirely upon the merit that people project upon it, which is derived from commonality of perspective?
Yep- it's completely possible. Does it happen without effort, not often. But that's because until we start to institute formal means of analysis there's no way to quantify what we are addressing.  

TeaDidikai

Nines19

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:49 pm
bondage bunnie
Take life to serious and you'll never make it out alive.

...there are people who make it out of life alive?  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff