Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
What do you do for Mabon? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:46 pm
Calixti
Anybody going to say what the hell Mabon is? Besides, apparently, a Welsh name for the autumn equinox?
Specifically a Welsh name applied to the autumn equinox.

The name seems to be relatively recent.

Usually considered "the second harvest", it's commonly thought of as "Pagan Thanksgiving".  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:46 pm
TeaDidikai
PinkFluffyButterflies
Since next Tuseday will be Mabon, and thus the start of fall, I was wondering how everyone here celebrates?
Since I'm not Norse, I don't celebrate Mabon.

Oddly enough, though we Norse celebrate the fall equinox (as well as the other equinox and the solstices), Mabon is Welsh, not Norse or Germanic.

I tend to honor the Einharjar in the fall along with the Heroic Ancestors and the Male Ancestors and occasionally the dead in general (though I'm moving toward Winter Solstice for the female dead I honor as Ancestors and Disir). It was a Kindred tradition, nothing historically founded necessarily, but there is something appropriate about honoring the dead as things begin dying and going to sleep which resonates for me.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:07 pm
PinkFluffyButterflies
Quote:
Now might be a wonderful time to point out that not everyone here celebrates Mabon.

Yes I know that. I still like to talk about things like this. Mabon isn't the only fal celebration so part of my hope was to learn about the others. I'm still new to all this.

You probably should've just stated "What other fall celebrations do people in this guild participate in?" Now most posts will probably start off with "I don't celebrate Mabon...." wink .

For fall equinox I observe Winter Finding. I'm not entirely sure I would classify what I do as "celebration" because kind of along the same lines to what AniMajor said earlier, it just doesn't feel like a holiday when you have to celebrate it by yourself. I feel kind of selfish though because I know it's not just for me; I know it's for the gods and other spirits more than it is for me.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:09 am
I celebrate the Equinox with a seasonal feast. As this is the Autum Equinox the day is also filled with thoughts for those who have passed on. I like to leave a plate at the table for them, not sure if I'll be able to do that this year though. I don't know what my host would make of it.  

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:04 am
One thing that we do is balance our eggs.
Those eggs often become offerings later.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:05 am
TeaDidikai
One thing that we do is balance our eggs.
Those eggs often become offerings later.

Balance eggs? Would you please elaborate? I've never heard of this before.  

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

Collowrath

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:12 am
TeaDidikai
Collowrath

There are some cultural foods, like halushky (potato and flour dumplings), and pirohy that I like to make. This year, I'm working on my medovniky recipe - honey cakes. They're a Christmas thing, but since I'm looking to perfect my repertoire of cakes, kolache, and breads, those are definitely going to be on the menu.
There's a buckwheat pan bread... are you familiar with it?

It's not ringing any bells. Do you have another name for it?

Quote:
PM me. We'll talk.

For sure. smile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:25 am
I usually cook for the family, and give thanks for what has come our way during the year. This year, I'm not too sure what to be thankful for... I guess the fact that I still wake up every day... though at this point that isn't saying much. rolleyes  

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

River_Moonwolf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:40 pm
Not sure how I'll be celebrating - if that's even the right word. Probably cooking some comfort food, and tastefully ( I hope) decorating Joe's grave. Open to any ideas. Right now, this is something of a tough one. Ty much.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:16 am
Collowrath

It's not ringing any bells. Do you have another name for it?
Yeah- but it's in Domari. sweatdrop

Shearaha

You can balance an egg on it's end. Only happens for a couple days twice a year.
Once they fall, they are given as offerings.  

TeaDidikai

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:58 am
TeaDidikai
Shearaha

You can balance an egg on it's end. Only happens for a couple days twice a year.

Ah, that makes sense then. I was picturing people trying to balance eggs on their heads or something sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:01 am
Shearaha
TeaDidikai
Shearaha

Ah, that makes sense then. I was picturing people trying to balance eggs on their heads or something sweatdrop

Lulls, I was imagining trying to balance them on their noses. Like sea lions with a ball at the carnival.  

Aino Ailill

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:25 am
Aino Ailill
Shearaha
TeaDidikai
Shearaha

Lulls, I was imagining trying to balance them on their noses. Like sea lions with a ball at the carnival.

That was about the immage I had too xd  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:41 am
Calixti
Anybody going to say what the hell Mabon is? Besides, apparently, a Welsh name for the autumn equinox?

Wiki page on Mabon. You're not going to get much more than that, to be honest.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:09 am
Shearaha
Aino Ailill
Shearaha
TeaDidikai
Shearaha

That was about the immage I had too xd
How weird do you people think I am?!  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas