Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Otherworld(s)? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:42 pm
Deoridhe
My understanding from the lore is that the songs were less variable, though. It is possible the songs determined where people went; the value of words and vocalization is high, culturally speaking.
Interesting stuff.

Any source material drawn on for reconstruction?

Collowrath
TeaDidikai
Collowrath
Every now and then, I feel very much drawn to some type of "Otherworld journeying." I'm not ready for it though, I don't think.
What material are you working from and how do you plan to go about it? wink

Not much, to be honest. I'm not sure where to start (big clue number one that I'm not ready!) - I mostly have Slavic mythology, some basic information on a Serbian trance-ritual, and various accounts of Otherworld practices from a variety of sources.

Nothing to really build practice from that wouldn't amount to stumbling about with my head in a bag. Not to mention the "issue" from my first post here.

xp
Fair enough.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:53 pm
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe
My understanding from the lore is that the songs were less variable, though. It is possible the songs determined where people went; the value of words and vocalization is high, culturally speaking.
Interesting stuff.

Any source material drawn on for reconstruction?

A lot of it's in the Eddas. Jenny Blain brought together a lot of the sources in her book Nine Worlds of Seid-Magic, and gets into a lot of the negativity toward those as well.

Recently I've been leaning more toward the runic side of things, though. I had a brainstorm on the idea of taking runes 3D as part of modern practice, and I've been practicing with Elhaz, as that is one of the safer runes, but I'm looking forward to expanding it to manage for bindrunes with Jera, which so far have been difficult.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:32 pm
Deoridhe

A lot of it's in the Eddas. Jenny Blain brought together a lot of the sources in her book Nine Worlds of Seid-Magic, and gets into a lot of the negativity toward those as well.
Negativity?
Not following.

Quote:
Recently I've been leaning more toward the runic side of things, though. I had a brainstorm on the idea of taking runes 3D as part of modern practice, and I've been practicing with Elhaz, as that is one of the safer runes, but I'm looking forward to expanding it to manage for bindrunes with Jera, which so far have been difficult.
Hmmmm... how so? ~is buzzing with ideas~  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:51 pm
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe
Hmmmm... how so? ~is buzzing with ideas~

I need to made the models and play with them. My chosen terrain is SL, since you can do 3D imaging there.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:04 pm
Deoridhe

I need to made the models and play with them. My chosen terrain is SL, since you can do 3D imaging there.
Again my lack of SL thwarts me!  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:27 am
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe

Negativity?
Not following.

Ugh, I was going to respond to this and forgot; apologies.

Spaecrafters were mistrusted because those who could heal could also harm. Also, since there were many fewer of them than places that needed them, they traveled, which meant their nature was not known well by those they met, and so they weren't trusted the way kin might be. There might have also been some sexism in there; there definitely was in the monks who wrote down things about them.

It would be interesting to see if Vitkar were as mistrusted. Certainly there is the interesting fact that Iceland was one of the few places where persecution of supposed "witches" fell on the men (vitkar were usually/always men back then) and not the women.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:41 am
Deoridhe
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe

Negativity?
Not following.

Ugh, I was going to respond to this and forgot; apologies.

Spaecrafters were mistrusted because those who could heal could also harm. Also, since there were many fewer of them than places that needed them, they traveled, which meant their nature was not known well by those they met, and so they weren't trusted the way kin might be. There might have also been some sexism in there; there definitely was in the monks who wrote down things about them.

It would be interesting to see if Vitkar were as mistrusted. Certainly there is the interesting fact that Iceland was one of the few places where persecution of supposed "witches" fell on the men (vitkar were usually/always men back then) and not the women.
Thanks. That helps a lot.

I wonder if galdrar would have been seen in the same light- or is the connection to the Vitkar and the runes as they are outlined in the Havamal enough to taint them?  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff