Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Err, Information Recommendations? ^^;; Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

O hai there! :3
  HI!! 8D
  Err... hi. n_n
View Results

starpocalypse

Tipsy Gekko

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:01 pm
I always thought Christianity was different from Catholicism, because Catholics prayed to Saints and Christians didn't. Now this is a bit more confusing. n_n'

As for mutually exclusive, I was just thinking about it, being ignorant really. It struck me that I shouldn't be ignorant, and realized that having theology in colleges and having people learn religion in colleges was a good thing. Nothing more said.

I heard about a resident Buddhist? Anyone know the username, lol?

When it comes to learning the sects of Christians -- I'm interested in starting with Catholic, then. Or would Protestantism be easier to start with? o_O

And I'll just narrow down the Pagan/non Pagan religions so you can list 'em.

Wicca.
Buddhism. [I'd like to talk with your resident Buddhist, lol.]
and Hinduism. [What you recommended. Bhagavad Gita, right? n_n]

I'm only taking on those Pagan religions. Reason why I'm taking Buddhism and Hinduism is because they sound so closely related that it might be a bit easier. Correct me if I'm wrong about that, please. n_n

I'll learn about Catholicism some other time. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. Unless learning Buddhism and Hinduism at the same time is too hard. n_n''

As for my revelation, lol, I was using it as an expression. Forgive me if I'm wrong again, but I read somewhere [-is too embarassed to say where she read it-] that the act of eating Gods was taken from the Aztecs?

I have a feeling that religions spring up from each other. Many different aspects of other religions are used as the base for one religion.

Which gives me another thing to think about. If, let's say, your religion has bases/roots in another religion -- then why would you want to kill off the people of that religion when they helped make yours? confused

And I'm confusing myself... I'll... type more... after I'm done multitasking, lol...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:14 pm
City Dreamer
I always thought Christianity was different from Catholicism, because Catholics prayed to Saints and Christians didn't. Now this is a bit more confusing. n_n'

As for mutually exclusive, I was just thinking about it, being ignorant really. It struck me that I shouldn't be ignorant, and realized that having theology in colleges and having people learn religion in colleges was a good thing. Nothing more said.

I heard about a resident Buddhist? Anyone know the username, lol?

Byaggha has a thread up in the Pathways subforum. It might interest you. For that matter, exploring the subforum might be of interest to you considering how broad your interest is.

Quote:
When it comes to learning the sects of Christians -- I'm interested in starting with Catholic, then. Or would Protestantism be easier to start with? o_O

Protestants have many denominations within them. It is an umbrella term for those who broke off from the Catholic Church, starting with Martin Luther.

I don't know which would be easier, though I'd guess Catholicism as it is only one denomination as opposed to the many of Protestantism.

Quote:
And I'll just narrow down the Pagan/non Pagan religions so you can list 'em.

Wicca.
Buddhism. [I'd like to talk with your resident Buddhist, lol.]

I'm only taking on those Pagan religions. Reason why I'm taking Buddhism and Hinduism is because they sound so closely related that it might be a bit easier. Correct me if I'm wrong about that, please. n_n

I would if I knew anything at all about Hinduism. I should probably delve into that, if only the tiniest little bit, so I have some idea of their beliefs.

Quote:
I'll learn about Catholicism some other time. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. Unless learning Buddhism and Hinduism at the same time is too hard. n_n''

As for my revelation, lol, I was using it as an expression. Forgive me if I'm wrong again, but I read somewhere [-is too embarassed to say where she read it-] that the act of eating Gods was taken from the Aztecs?

xblinksx ... I am ... fairly certain that the Holy Communion was independent of the Aztec practices. Aztecs being in the Americas with little to no communication with the other continents.  

Aino Ailill

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:30 pm
City Dreamer
Christianity is a super-group, Catholicism is a subgroup, just like Seventh Day Adventists, the Baptists, Methodists, Calvinists etc.

Catholics pray to Saints. They pray to those people who have life everlasting in Christ and are part of the Church. This position is supported in the Bible, specifically in 1 Tim. 2:1-3 and James 5:16, since the prayers of Man are heard and answered.

In Hebrews 12:1 we read of "The Cloud of Witnesses", those who have everlasting life in Christ who witness what goes on upon the earth, going so far as to describe the Saints in Hebrews 12:22.

Further, The Revelations of John of Patmos say in two places that the Saints pray in Heaven. (5:8 and 8:3) Not only that, but Revelation 6:9-20 shows that the Saints are indeed aware of what happens within the world and speak about it to YHVH.

Lastly, as is mentioned in 1 Cor. 12:14-21, the Body of Christ is united within the Church and relies on one another.

Quote:

Catholicism is a good start. Especially since the documentation for it's theological positions is vast. The only thing you might have a hard time with is understanding the difference between what is official doctrine of the Church and what is an individual's personal opinion. Not all Saint's opinions are canon.

Quote:
Wicca.
Look in Pathways. I think Scorplett has her reading list there.

Quote:
Buddhism.
Pathways.
Quote:
Yeah... I usually start with the Bhagavad Gita.

Quote:
Buddhism derived from Hinduism.

Some folks on both sides get more than a little snarky about it.
Quote:

I'll learn about Catholicism some other time.
Why?

Quote:
Methinks your source is crap.

Are you suggesting the act of Holy Communion stems from Central American paganism?

Let's see- where to begin with the flaws in that one... well, for a start, the notion is simply a literal understanding of Scripture, seeing as how the tradition of Communion and the Sacred Presence was established for a thousand and some odd years before Europeans came across the Aztecs.

Quote:
I have a feeling that religions spring up from each other. Many different aspects of other religions are used as the base for one religion.
Such as?

Quote:
Which gives me another thing to think about. If, let's say, your religion has bases/roots in another religion -- then why would you want to kill off the people of that religion when they helped make yours? confused

Resources. ninja  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:35 pm
Aino Ailill

I would if I knew anything at all about Hinduism. I should probably delve into that, if only the tiniest little bit, so I have some idea of their beliefs.
Gautama Buddha is sometimes seen as an avatar of Vishnu.
To my recollection, in both mythologies that mention this, he is considered to be the second-to-last incarnation.

It gets messy, considering that the teachings of Gautama Buddha conflict with the Vedas, specifically in regards to animal sacrifice.

Damn... this is so not my strong suit.

Can someone who actually has a firm grounding in this stuff come in here and clean up the mess I just made?  

TeaDidikai

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:39 am
TeaDidikai
Aino Ailill
Gautama Buddha is sometimes seen as an avatar of Vishnu.
To my recollection, in both mythologies that mention this, he is considered to be the second-to-last incarnation.

It gets messy, considering that the teachings of Gautama Buddha conflict with the Vedas, specifically in regards to animal sacrifice.

Damn... this is so not my strong suit.

Can someone who actually has a firm grounding in this stuff come in here and clean up the mess I just made?

Yes, the appropriation of Buddha into Hinduism WOULD be a case of cultural appropriation which is inconsistent on both ends.

Also, one of the big issues with Hinduism is it embodies the chaos and conflicting stories/gods/histories that our poor cut-off-at-the-knees polytheism only hints at. There are very few consistent things, and most of those seem to be cultural more than religious.

I do like the Bhagadvad Gita as an introduction to "No, really, sometimes your dharma is to do things we now consider BAD," and "Yes, really, catch-22's predated the book," though.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:13 am
Thank you both. heart  

Aino Ailill

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:13 pm
Deoridhe

Yes, the appropriation of Buddha into Hinduism WOULD be a case of cultural appropriation which is inconsistent on both ends.
Is it appropriation or Vedic commentary on Shramana tradition in the same way that the verses within the Qu'ran are Islamic commentary on Christian tradition?  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:22 pm
My... I'm going to have to read this little by little...

-overload of words-

Now where's the damn dictionary...? XD

starpocalypse

Tipsy Gekko

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:37 pm
City Dreamer
My... I'm going to have to read this little by little...

-overload of words-

Now where's the damn dictionary...? XD
Let us know if you have any questions.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:41 pm
I actually did study India last year, which, of course made me learn about Buddhism and Hinduism.

I just want to make this straight.

Siddartha Gautama founded Buddhism, correct? He was called the Buddhist, right?

And is it true that he meditated for forty days before this.. Enlightenment, right? n_n

Did I spell Siddartha right? =_=

And ugh, I should have thought about that.. well, erm, yes, my source is crap, I admit. XD

If it makes you feel any better, I'm picking up Gerald Gardner's books tomorrow! =P I can't wait! x] I'm also going to see if they've got Triumph of the Moon. n_n

... -just checked out online catalog-

WHAT?! THEY DON'T HAVE IT?

=_= Guess I have something to add to my Christmas wishlist this year... XD Hmm, I'm going to check out the recommended reading list. n_n

starpocalypse

Tipsy Gekko

Calixti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:54 pm
City Dreamer

... -just checked out online catalog-

WHAT?! THEY DON'T HAVE IT?

=_= Guess I have something to add to my Christmas wishlist this year... XD Hmm, I'm going to check out the recommended reading list. n_n
Try requesting it via inter-library loan first. You'll probably be able to get it that way.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:55 pm
-just came back from Pathways-

Whew! I came across a treasure trove of information right there! I just read scorplett's thread... it seems she hasn't updated it in a while. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

But I'm glad to say I learned a lot. n_n I'm glad Violet recommended this guild to me!

I'm going to wait a bit, then after my head clears, I'm going to start reading Byaggha's thread. ^^

starpocalypse

Tipsy Gekko

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:31 pm
City Dreamer

Siddartha Gautama founded Buddhism, correct?
Correct.
Quote:

He was called the Buddhist, right?
He is considered "Sammāsambuddha", or the Supreme Buddha, and has been called Shakyamuni- which translates roughly as Sage of the Śaka Nation.
Quote:

And is it true that he meditated for forty days before this.. Enlightenment, right? n_n
True? Couldn't say. That's what the popular mythology says.
Quote:

Did I spell Siddartha right? =_=
The Middle Indo-Aryan language of India (Pali) transliterates as Siddhattha.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:34 pm
Thank you! That clears up a lot of things that my history teacher couldn't answer... -sigh- She was getting old, but to me age doesn't really affect wisdom, unless you're starting to get dementia or Alzheimer's...

n_n I'm going to start reading Byaggha's thread nao~~

starpocalypse

Tipsy Gekko

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:38 pm
City Dreamer
She was getting old, but to me age doesn't really affect wisdom, unless you're starting to get dementia or Alzheimer's...
You may wish to examine cultural biases that shift through time as well.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff